Fat face - still!

Options
I've lost 95 pounds and my face is still fat! I'm only 3 pounds away from goal, and where I was just over 3 years ago (115 pounds), but my face looks so different than it used to. It's really upsetting to me and I'm feeling very insecure about it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Do you think 3 pounds will help thin it out a bit more?

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe it isn't just over weight in your face... Maybe it is just genetics and you can't change that by losing weight.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pictures from start to finish? Perhaps you have some insecurity issues. I find it difficult to believe after losing 95lb that your face would still look the same.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do you have any pictures from start to finish? Perhaps you have some insecurity issues. I find it difficult to believe after losing 95lb that your face would still look the same.
    Agreed.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Just in case though, some medications can do that, too. Might want to check any prescriptions you're taking.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options

That's a good point. It could just be me being insecure.

But when I compare photos from 3 years ago to now, I see a huge difference - as in my face is huge and weird looking now. But that could be in my head. Sigh.

And, I have no "before" photos. I was only that fat for a brief period, thank goodness!, so I didn't let anyone take my photo.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I believe that as we lose weight (especially women) our brains tend to lag behind our success. I've read many times on MFP that it can take up to a year for your brain to adjust to the new sized you. Doesn't really help, I know. I haven't lost as much as you, but even though my jeans size has kept shrinking - sometimes when I look in the mirror - I still see the old me. :flowerforyou:
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Before I started on this journey, I was out shopping wearing a fatface sweater (http://www.fatface.com/). An old guy, in his eighties, stopped me, read the fatface logo and then asked me if it was an ironic purchase, before walking off without waiting for an answer!!

I almost p1ssed myself laughing!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I believe that as we lose weight (especially women) our brains tend to lag behind our success. I've read many times on MFP that it can take up to a year for your brain to adjust to the new sized you. Doesn't really help, I know. I haven't lost as much as you, but even though my jeans size has kept shrinking - sometimes when I look in the mirror - I still see the old me. :flowerforyou:

Maybe that has something to do with it as well - but I don't feel that way about my body! Well....some days. But other days I think I look thin...but that's in real life.

In pictures, I am horrified with how I look!! Sad, really.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Managed to ask my daughter who was person in sunglasses in photo in her flat
    To be told it was me
    Did not recognise myself

Either my face is different or my eyesight has deteriorated ;)
    For years I looked at myself in mirror and convinced myself was pretty good looking so I am voting for eyesight

btw my brain has always screwed up any chance of success

Congratulations on loss on being so close to target well done
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Post pic of yourself and get some feedback, maybe your seeing something that is not there anymore?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Fat face is a good thing - Madonna, Courtney Cox et all have incredibly scrawny bodies but get fillers injected into their face because that is a good place to have fat (think Miranda Kerr - cheeks like a chipmunk!).

A face without fat is going to be wrinkly.
  • deidra13
    deidra13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I saw something on Dr Oz about the fat pads in your face, some people just have large ones, no matter their weight, if you are concerned about it ask your doctor
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    People lose weight in all different areas, just like many topics say that we can't choose where the weight comes off of (ie; targeting belly fat) Those last 3 lbs may in fact change your face, however we have to remember genetics come into play and that may just be your face! No matter what, you are beautiful and you've come so far don't let it get to you!
  • JTKamz
    JTKamz Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My daughter is underweight, and she has always had a chubby face. I think thats just the way it it sometimes.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. In my early twenties my face was really nice and slim. I felt pretty with a nice jaw line, high cheek bones and big eyes! I weighed much more then I do now, but now at age 26 my face (to me) looks much rounder, my eyes smaller and my jawline nonexistent! I would describe the face I see looking back at me now in the mirror and in photographs as looking "lazy" and most definitely "chubby". Its very strange and bothers me more then any other area of my body! I thought that the face naturally slims down as you get older? Perhaps older then I am though.

There may be some explanations though in my case. One being alcohol! I have spent many years drinking lot's and staying up until the early hours and I think its caught up with me! I have cut back lot's now and lost weight but I think late night to early morning beer drinking has really taken its toll on my face! Also, smoking perhaps... I know that affects aging in general. I also found out 2 years ago that I have an under active thyroid, and even though its under control now via medication I still think it has an effect! Bloated face I believe is one of many symptoms of an under active thyroid.

I guess what I am getting at is there could be a hundred reasons why the face may bloat in ways that aren't due to weight. As someone else stated, medication may be another cause! The only thing I can think to tackle it and I don't know if it works is to try some kind of facial yoga (you can find many videos on youtube) so it might be worth a go but I don't have experience with it!

Some peoples faces change more then others as you get older. Some people can look like completely different people within a 2 year period! Lifestyle, stress, depression, illness, poor diet and many things take its toll sadly!