Can it really be true!?

Options
We have fresh bread delivered to our office every morning from the baker and sometimes, if I forget my breakfast for example, I take a couple of slices of this with cheese on for breakfast. Because the bread is from the baker, it’s hard to log accurately and I usually end up weighing the slices and then trying to find the closest thing to the type of bread in the log. Done. However, this morning I thought I would be extra vigilant and, tired of not being accurate, I searched for the loaf recipe of this morning’s particular bread online....let’s just say I’m never having 2 slices of that again for breakfast....!

1 loaf contains:
3187 calories
657g carbs and wait for it....
21400mg sodium:noway:

I estimate 1 loaf to be about 12 slices so this morning’s bread equated to:
531 calories
109g carbs
3,567mg sodium

...oooopsie... :blushing:

Has anyone else had any shock revelations during logging?

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Wow! What kind of bread is that?!
  • minijag06
    Options
    Yeah, bread can be bad! My son is gaining weight for muscle mass and when he found out how much that loaf of french bread is for his roast beef sandwiches - he was shocked! At least you ate it in the morning - not at dinner. Burn it off!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Dats incredble
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Whoa!!!! That's crazy!!! My shocking revelation was how many calories, fat etc wherein restaurant meals. Not fast food places but bar/grill or family restaurants. My first attempt at eating out since i began this was for my daughter's birthday. The night before I thought I'd look at the restaurant's nutritional info to try prepare myself for what I could have. Even the "healthy" choices had sky high calories!!! I ended up doing somewhat okay. Got fish tacos (which I would have never ever ordered before but I really enjoyed) but had them put the dressing on the side. But eating out sure wont be easy
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    First of all, wow, I find it amazing that you can look up calories for a bread online :laugh: Around here, a baker's own bread is usually a family recipe that's being kept secret, and think my baker would chase me with a rolling pin if I asked him to tell me how many calories his baking has :laugh: He would definitely be very offended...

Back on topic, again wow, that sure is a lot of sodium :noway: And a hell of a lot of cals for one slice! It's a meal on its own!
    question: how full are you after having a piece of this? (and how thirsty :laugh: )
  • lillenisse
    lillenisse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @ lauraceaerosa; it's a bread called skagensbrød, a bread originally from the town of Skagen in Denmark I guess (I live in Copenhagen)
    @minijag06 That is a good point! It's my rest day from the gym today but I'm thinking an extra intensive workout tomorrow is in order! :smile:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    i'm going to pretend I didn't read this *goes back to eating pizza dough"
  • lillenisse
    Options
    @sannsk; I think it's quite a traditional loaf of bread here so I was able to find a recipe online. It may not be the exact same recipe the baker uses but I think it must be closer than anything I found in the log. Oh, and to answer your questions - very full and very, VERY thirsty! :wink:
  • sannsk
    Options
    And you are sure it's correct?

I found this about skagensbrød:
    240 kcal for 2 slices: http://tracker.dailyburn.com/nutrition/schulstad_skagensbrd_calories
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Its always the things we love and taste so good that surprise us!! breads and pasta's are my downfall! Hate when I have to log them. Same goes for cheese, how can a scant quarter cup of shredded be so many calories!!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    We have fresh bread delivered to our office every morning from the baker

Wow! Where do you work? What kind of an office is it? I've never worked anywhere where we get FRESHLY baked bread delivered to the office!
    I definitely see the temptation though! Hang in there!
  • lillenisse
    Options
    Hmmmm, well now I'm confused:smile:

I added the recipe I found online to the MFP recipe tool to get my original results. I've never seen this site before (but thank you - what a great site!)

I really, really want to hope that the dailyburn website is correct!
  • sannsk
    Options
    Hmmmm, well now I'm confused:smile:

I added the recipe I found online to the MFP recipe tool to get my original results. I've never seen this site before (but thank you - what a great site!)

I really, really want to hope that the dailyburn website is correct!

What website did you use (if it's danisch, then nevermind :-p ) what were the ingredients for 1 loaf?
  • lillenisse
    Options
    Yes, it was a Danish website and the ingredients for 1 loaf were:
    Buttermilk 100ml
    Wheat Flour 750g!
    Durum Flour 125g
    Yeast 3g
    Water 500ml
    Honey 40g
    Salt 25g

Am I missing something? I'm not a huge baker of bread so don't really have any context here!
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When I was at the airport the only semi healthy thing I could find was a quizznos...or so I thought. The wrap I ate had a stupid amount of calories in it, and I thought I was doing good for not going to McDonalds. I was shocked.
  • lillenisse
    Options
    @StealthSLOTH; Welcome to Denmark :-)
  • sannsk
    Options
    Yes, it was a Danish website and the ingredients for 1 loaf were:
    Buttermilk 100ml
    Wheat Flour 750g!
    Durum Flour 125g
    Yeast 3g
    Water 500ml
    Honey 40g
    Salt 25g

Am I missing something? I'm not a huge baker of bread so don't really have any context here!

I'm not sure, but 25g of salt seems like like a lot for a loaf of 12 slices. Usually, a loaf has about 1 teaspoon of salt in it, but maybe danish bread is different :-p Of maybe the recipe you found is wrong...

Normally, the yeast should (approximately) even out the salt. So my guess (only a guess!) is that it should be 2,5g salt.
  • lillenisse
    Options
    Thanks for your help Sannsk! After looking through the comments, much debate in the office, and consulting the only person in our office who has ever baked bread, we have decided that the recipe was actually for 2 loaves, not 1. Stupid recipe, why it couldn't write how many loaves this was for I'll never know...:grumble:

This is also more aligned with the nutritional info from daily burn. Corrected the data in MFP so halved calories but, boy, that is still a lot of sodium!

Thanks again for all your comments and feedback!
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    @StealthSLOTH; Welcome to Denmark :-)

^ clearly I need to move to Denmark. Of course I would want Danishes, but I hear those are actually Austrian? :laugh: :bigsmile: