Freezer

Options
I'd like to stock my freezer with some healthy just-in-case food to replace the pizzas, sausage rolls and pies that are in there at the moment. Has anyone any ideas? It's not that I plan to eat ready meals often, but I do need to put something in there and I'd like that something to be on the nutritious side. Grateful for any help.

Replies

• NataBee
    NataBee Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When making meals, make enough for an additional portion and stick it in the freezer. That way there is always a 'ready meal' which is still home made and you know exactly whats in it :)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Are you looking for recipe ideas, or..? There are so many options!

I love to cook and am used to cooking for more than one person. I live alone now (yay!) but I've been cooking the same amount of food and just freezing the excess. I usually divide up my meals into serving sizes and freeze in plastic containers (I love the lock&lock containers for this). I find this incredibly useful for a) taking to work, b) having meals on hand for when I'm too busy to cook, c) being able to plan my calories in advance, and d) resisting the temptation of buying premade meals from the store, ick.

I have found that soups work especially well, and are often very healthy. My go-to soup is one with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, coconut milk, and garam masala. ~2 cups is around 200 calories. I also like to freeze chicken noodle, bean soups, chili, etc. I also make a lot of savory pies - quiche, chicken pot pie, etc. Sometimes I cut them up into portion sizes and freeze them individually, and sometimes I leave them whole for when I have company.

I usually have a batch of beans and rice with sausage or fried rice in the freezer, as well. These are often my go-to meals to take to work, as they are full of veggies, whole grains (I use brown rice), and protein.

Another essential, for me, is frozen baked oatmeal. I eat a serving of baked oatmeal almost every day, and if there aren't a couple containers in the freezer, I know it's time to make some more! And it's very versatile - I almost always have a couple of bananas in there, but I change up the other fruit - blueberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries, blackberries... it all works, and it's all good. I usually add some cocoa powder for some chocolate-y goodness. I have been meaning to make a batch of peanut butter-banana-chocolate baked oatmeal, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Oh, and muffins! I love making apple cinnamon muffins - each is only around 180 calories and they're handy for a quick breakfast or snack.

Empanadas are one of my favorite things to freeze, because they reheat so well and are so delicious, but one empanada is around 500 calories, so I have to make sure I plan for them... Lasagna, quesadillas, and enchiladas are similar - tasty, freeze well, but something I often have to budget for since they tend to be higher in calories than soup or beans and rice.

I also freeze leftover pot roast or pulled pork or what have you. I don't often make just meat (I like it better when it's an ingredient in a dish rather than a main dish) but when I do, I shred the leftovers and freeze them. That way they're readily convenient for sandwiches (I also freeze rolls), enchiladas, omelettes, etc.

Really, the only things I don't freeze are dairy and vegetables. I am just not a fan of frozen veggies. :sick:
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's so helpful. Thanks to you two. I live alone, too. I am not a great cook and lived off ready meals and processed food before I began this diet, but I've learned a great deal these past months and one of those things is that home cooked food is best. I do agree about the frozen vegetables. I hate them all - except peas perhaps. Thanks again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    as you are cooking for one, no fun, i agree, make up enough for 2/3 meals and then freeze the other portions. Chilli, bolognese, stew etc are all good! anythign with a bit of sauce so it doesnt go dry when you re-heat it!

alternatively, buy a pack of chicken breasts/ legs which ever and freeze individually and then you can defrost a single portion and cook it with fresh veg etc as and when you like.
  • princesschocolate
    Options
    Slow cookers are fantastic, do a whole batch and freeze them into portions for another time - you know what you have in your freezer then and its all fantastic foods which is good for you :)
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Freeze spinach and add it to any hot meal you cook!

Frozen veggies too

I dont really like freezing meat though lol
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When making meals, make enough for an additional portion and stick it in the freezer. That way there is always a 'ready meal' which is still home made and you know exactly whats in it :)

Exactly what I was going to say. The healthiest meals you'll make are the ones you make at home and customize to your diet specifications. I always make extra too, so I have a portion or two to freeze for later.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you have to go with processed food, I love Lean Cuisine Culinary Collection. It don't taste as frozen as some of the other brands. The herb roasted chicken is good, the panini sandwiches, and I love the Santa Fe rice and beans. I take these to work for lunch or on nights when I have Zumba class and don't have time to cook. I also like Healthy Choice frozen greek yogurt as a grab and go breakfast (I don't like the texture of yogurt so the frozen kind is doable for me) I also buy meats in bulk, portion out in individual servings, and freeze. Then in the mornings, move to fridge to thaw so it will be ready to cook at dinner time. Then of course there's the crock pot which has really come in handy, but I haven't tried freezing anything from it yet. I'm not really educated on freezing techniques, so I'm still working on that myself.
  • magsxx
    magsxx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lasagnes, cottage pies, soups, anything i have left over from my slow cooker like chilli, curry, casseroles. My 2 boys go to their dads two nights a week and my partner has his wee boy them two nights so i am on my own so i always have something in the freezer that i can leave out that morning :)
  • sohmui
    Options
    Dear Everyone - thanks very much for so many wonderful ideas. You are all so well organised! Now it's my turn. I am totally geared up for freezing my own dishes. In any case, I always make enough for two or three meals, so all I need are the containers and a bit of practice based on your good advice. :smile:
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for recipe ideas, or..? There are so many options!

I love to cook and am used to cooking for more than one person. I live alone now (yay!) but I've been cooking the same amount of food and just freezing the excess. I usually divide up my meals into serving sizes and freeze in plastic containers (I love the lock&lock containers for this). I find this incredibly useful for a) taking to work, b) having meals on hand for when I'm too busy to cook, c) being able to plan my calories in advance, and d) resisting the temptation of buying premade meals from the store, ick.

I have found that soups work especially well, and are often very healthy. My go-to soup is one with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, coconut milk, and garam masala. ~2 cups is around 200 calories. I also like to freeze chicken noodle, bean soups, chili, etc. I also make a lot of savory pies - quiche, chicken pot pie, etc. Sometimes I cut them up into portion sizes and freeze them individually, and sometimes I leave them whole for when I have company.

I usually have a batch of beans and rice with sausage or fried rice in the freezer, as well. These are often my go-to meals to take to work, as they are full of veggies, whole grains (I use brown rice), and protein.

Another essential, for me, is frozen baked oatmeal. I eat a serving of baked oatmeal almost every day, and if there aren't a couple containers in the freezer, I know it's time to make some more! And it's very versatile - I almost always have a couple of bananas in there, but I change up the other fruit - blueberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries, blackberries... it all works, and it's all good. I usually add some cocoa powder for some chocolate-y goodness. I have been meaning to make a batch of peanut butter-banana-chocolate baked oatmeal, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Oh, and muffins! I love making apple cinnamon muffins - each is only around 180 calories and they're handy for a quick breakfast or snack.

Empanadas are one of my favorite things to freeze, because they reheat so well and are so delicious, but one empanada is around 500 calories, so I have to make sure I plan for them... Lasagna, quesadillas, and enchiladas are similar - tasty, freeze well, but something I often have to budget for since they tend to be higher in calories than soup or beans and rice.

I also freeze leftover pot roast or pulled pork or what have you. I don't often make just meat (I like it better when it's an ingredient in a dish rather than a main dish) but when I do, I shred the leftovers and freeze them. That way they're readily convenient for sandwiches (I also freeze rolls), enchiladas, omelettes, etc.

Really, the only things I don't freeze are dairy and vegetables. I am just not a fan of frozen veggies. :sick:

Love your advice. I recently started making large batches of soups and chillis. They are great for quick nutritious meals. I would love to get some receipes from you. The sweet potato and butternut squash soup, baked oatmeal, etc. It all sounds wonderful and I love to cook so these are items I would love to make and keep in the freezer. Please feel free to send me a message. THANKS!!!
  • sohmui
    Options
    Me, too, please! The sweet potato and butternut squash soup sounds delicious and I'd love to have your recipe for that and any other suggestions. I suppose that for these soups I would need a food processor/liquifier thing -- you know what I mean.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I freeze dairy too. When milk is on sale I pop 3 or 4 in the freezer. Last week I got 1/2 gal. For 99c ea. I also freeze grated cheese. Great for cooking with. We have a big garden and I taught myself to blanch and freeze green beans, carrots, and beets. They taste fresh when we use them. I also freeze soups chilli and other casseroles. I make quiche and other savory pies and freeze.