Rhubarb....healthy recipes????

Options
scweegie
scweegie Posts: 59
Hi, I love rhubarb pie, however pie is no where near anything I should be eating. I do have access to a ton of rhubarb, does anyone have any healthy recipes?

Replies

• jenn1717
    jenn1717 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second this request! I have lots of Rhubarb too!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to make rhubarb sauce. Not really sure how, I'm sure you could find a recipe and alter it to be healthier.
  • scweegie
    Options
    I was doing a search on spark recipes and it seems that most are made "healthier" or less calories using splenda. My problem is I can't stand that crap, sorry....that is just how I feel.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to make rhubarb sauce. Not really sure how, I'm sure you could find a recipe and alter it to be healthier.

my granny did too... rhubarb, butter and white sugar... boil until thick and syrupy... OH SO AWESOME over fresh vanilla ice cream :blushing:

Yeah I know that's not healthy, but lordy was it good. :bigsmile:

Looks like most rhubarb recipes out there are for baked goods or jam or something of that nature?
  • ImGettingFit
    Options
    don't remember where I got this........since you don't like Splenda I guess you could use another substitute??

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie - 45 Minutes to Prepare and Cook
    Ingredients:
    3 cups sliced strawberries
    3 sups sliced rhubarb
    3/4 cup Splenda
    2 T. cornstarch
    1 Pillsbury pie crust

Directions
    Combine all ingredients except pie crust. Cook until heated through. Pour into 9" pie plate sprayed with Pam. Top with crust. Cut slits in top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Number of Servings: 6
    • Servings Per Recipe: 6
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 62.2
    • Total Fat: 1.9 g
    • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    • Sodium: 38.8 mg
    • Total Carbs: 12.5 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
    • Protein: 1.4 g
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Maybe a whole wheat rhubarb bread but substitute the oil with applesauce.

I remember rhubarb sauce but grandma would serve it with homemade buttered bread! YUM!
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    don't remember where I got this........since you don't like Splenda I guess you could use another substitute??

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie - 45 Minutes to Prepare and Cook
    Ingredients:
    3 cups sliced strawberries
    3 sups sliced rhubarb
    3/4 cup Splenda
    2 T. cornstarch
    1 Pillsbury pie crust

Directions
    Combine all ingredients except pie crust. Cook until heated through. Pour into 9" pie plate sprayed with Pam. Top with crust. Cut slits in top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Number of Servings: 6
    • Servings Per Recipe: 6
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 62.2
    • Total Fat: 1.9 g
    • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    • Sodium: 38.8 mg
    • Total Carbs: 12.5 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
    • Protein: 1.4 g

That pretty much sounds amazing!!!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I never used to like strawberry rhubarb pie as a kid, but on a whim I got some fresh rhubarb from one of the local farms and am willing to give it another shot. Thanks for posting the recipe!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i'm a rhubarb virgin - but this sounds amazing!
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb is amazing in coffee cake. Just sprinkel some frozen chopped rhubarb or fresh at the bottom of any healthy coffee cake recipe and bake. So good. I usually toss my rhubarb is just a tablespoon of sugar or some sugar substitute. This is also good with any berry, especially blackberries.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb is amazing in coffee cake. Just sprinkel some frozen chopped rhubarb or fresh at the bottom of any healthy coffee cake recipe and bake. So good. I usually toss my rhubarb is just a tablespoon of sugar or some sugar substitute. This is also good with any berry, especially blackberries.

Do you mean you can just chop fresh rhubarb and sprinkle sweetener over it? I always thought you had to cook rhubarb first to make it edible.
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    Might sound awful but I just like to eat it raw with a little salt on it. Have done it since I was a kid.
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb sorbet for 116 cal per serving.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Rhubarb-Sorbet-92541

Sure, it's sorbet, so it's not low in sugar, but it's a good treat with basically no fat at all. For a dessert, I'd say that's pretty good. I had a rhubarb mint sorbet at a farmers market in Chicago that was AMAZING. Put some mint in this recipe. ...now I want some.
  • dontpanic1984
    Options
    did a search for ya:

http://www.savor-the-rhubarb.com/healthier-rhubarb-recipe.html

they've got a bunch of ideas.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A good rhubarb dessert is to stew your chopped rhubarb in a tiny bit of water & sweeten with splenda. Make a custard from the Birds eye custard which is a powder in a can. Pour some custard in the bottom of a dessert nappy then cover with some stewed rhubarb. I like it when it is still warm , but can be eaten cold too. Creamy & tart & delicious!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. strawberry rhubarb pie is delicious..
    I just wanted to add that lol

Hope you find some good recipes, though I don't care for using a lot of artificial sweeteners in what I eat.
  • dontpanic1984
    Options
    I was doing a search on spark recipes and it seems that most are made "healthier" or less calories using splenda. My problem is I can't stand that crap, sorry....that is just how I feel.

i agree completely. sometimes i feel like i'm the only (health-food conscious) person in the world who can't stand splenda. you understand.

i'm even worse in that i can't even handle any of the artificial sweetners (equal, sweet n low, etc). xylitol is okay. try xylitol? it's not as... fake-tasting, i guess.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • CherylsTime
    CherylsTime Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mom used to make rhubarb sauce and add strawberry Jello. We had it over toast in the morning.
  • scweegie
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions.

However my rhubarb crop has dried up for the season, I am used to it fresh, but now I may try it frozen.

I too second it raw with a little salt, gets my mouth watering just thinking about it.

Back to the sweeteners, I even gave truvia a chance, to me it still tastes like crap. Guess I will just limit my intake of the real stuff.