Putting on weight with Insanity

Options
Hi, Im looking for a bit of advice. I am now on my 3rd week on Insanity and initially lost 2 pound in the 1st week since then i have gained weight and i have been keeping to calorie controlled diet! Is this normal? Has anyone got any tips on how to lose the weight while doing this?

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? Did you take measurements??

The scale is the devil and is not a very good measurement tool at all!!! I've maintained my blasted weight for the last 3 months. but dropped a size in pants.

TAKE MEASUREMENTS!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • taliswoman1
    Options
    Hey,

I took my measurements on the 1st week and have lost an inch round my waist and half an inch round my bum but dont know if this normal or should i be losing more? and i put on like half an inch on my thighs so im totally confused but hoping thats the building up of muscle!!!
  • teez27
    teez27 Posts: 1
    Options
    You should take measurements.
    Muscle weighs more than fat.
    Doesn't mean you are picking up weight.
    You are prob gaining more muscle.
    So i suggest you take measurements.
  • Naomi0222
    Options
    When I did it for 2 weeks last year I found the same thing, and I was really good eating. I search that up on the Internet, and many people found this happened to them too! But then there comes a point where you lose it faster. It's strange. The intensity and power of the work he has you do increases your muscle mass, and that is what most likely happened. That was the answer given by several people on that issue. It's like week one, no gain, week two gain week three lose all the gain, then you keep losing. When I do it agin, I will only weigh myself day 1 day 30 and day 60.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 pounds then started losing again. Stick with it. You will feel great.
  • Naomi0222
    Options
    Btw I stopped because I went on vacation, then got lazy again when I came back.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Whenever you start a new workout regiment, your muscles can retain water and that would make it seem like you're not losing weight. Give it two weeks, take measurements, maintain your diet, and see what happens. I know I'm having the same issue with Tapout.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I hear this a lot with women. You're probably fine but I'd like to see your food log to be sure. Make it public and I'll take a peek for you.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a really intense workout, so you're bound to have water weight fluctuations (especially in us girls!!) I wouldn't worry too much about the scale right now and only focus on your measurements. I had my big losses with insanity in the second phase anyhow...

Are you following the meal plan?

Feel free to FR me if you have questions or want me to stalk your diary, haha! I've been through several beachbody programs (doing Asylum now).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's water retention. Your body stores water to repair your muscles. Are you following the insanity calorie guidance? How many calories are you eating? The lowest insanity suggest for calories is around 1800.
  • taliswoman1
    Options
    Hey my diary should be open to the public. Dont get me wrong im not follwing the meal plan because i find it hard to when im out at work and also needing to cook me and the boyf same meals. im sticking to abouyt 1200 calories per day/.
  • hope516
    Options

muscle does not weigh more than fat :laugh: A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. But muscle is more compact.

If you are eating only 1200 calories AND burning(from what I have seen from the commercials) up to 1000 cals. Then you are not eating enough.

Also water retention is probably the case here.

As for the inches you have lost, that is something to be proud of!!! Isn't the point to get smaller and healthier?? NO weight scale is going to measure that for you. so throw it out the window, take pics and measurement and eat more....is my advice :flowerforyou:
  • hope516
    Options
    Another thing to consider is how much weight you have to lose. ME who has tons to lose will lose a lot faster than you, who is trying to lose 15 pounds. You could very well only lose 5 pounds and get to the body you want, so once again ditch the scale!!!!

I am soooo starting a campaign on ditching the scale :glasses:

lol, good luck :flowerforyou:
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hey my diary should be open to the public. Dont get me wrong im not follwing the meal plan because i find it hard to when im out at work and also needing to cook me and the boyf same meals. im sticking to abouyt 1200 calories per day/.

Your diary isn't open :(

I honestly don't think you're eating enough...you should be eating at least 1500 calories...probably even more. I had a really hard time losing weight when my calories were that low.

What works best for me (which obviously isn't an end all be all) for losing fat is following macros of 40% protein, 35% carbs, and 25% fat. Try messing around with balancing out your macros rather than eating a whole bunch of one macronutrient over the other.

If macro percentages (you really need the mobile app to make this easy) are too obnoxious try this:
    1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass (estimate your body fat percentage, calculate your number of pounds of fat and subtract it from overall weight)
    0.35*body weight = g of fat

^^This works for a ton of people including myself (that's how I got my 40/35/25 macros in the first place)

The fact of the matter is, the more closely you pay attention to what you're eating - the better results you'll get.

Proof: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/873475-p90x-and-insanity-toned-me-up
  • taliswoman1
    Options
    Thanks everyone much appreciated. Gave me peace of mind!!
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is how much weight you have to lose. ME who has tons to lose will lose a lot faster than you, who is trying to lose 15 pounds. You could very well only lose 5 pounds and get to the body you want, so once again ditch the scale!!!!

I am soooo starting a campaign on ditching the scale :glasses:

lol, good luck :flowerforyou:

Yes, ditch the scale. My husband actually threw mine out our bathroom window a couple years ago when I became obsessed with it. I only weigh once a week but pay very close attention to how my clothes are fitting and the inch loss.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options

muscle does not weigh more than fat :laugh: A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. But muscle is more compact.

If you are eating only 1200 calories AND burning(from what I have seen from the commercials) up to 1000 cals. Then you are not eating enough.

Also water retention is probably the case here.

As for the inches you have lost, that is something to be proud of!!! Isn't the point to get smaller and healthier?? NO weight scale is going to measure that for you. so throw it out the window, take pics and measurement and eat more....is my advice :flowerforyou:

I hear this a lot people mentioning muscle weighs more than fat and people correcting it. The truth is, the answer can be both depending on how you are looking at it. If you are looking at it in a weight standpoint, muscle is denser which means it will have a higher mass per volume than fat. Which means for the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat.

But you are also right that a pound of muscle weighs the same amount as the pound of fat. That is why they are both a pound. As for the OP, in regards to her gaining weight, if she is in fact building muscle faster than she is buying fat, then she will gain weight.

I've also done a similar exercise regime before (not insanity but P90x) and I did gain weight. After a couple of days I decided I'm just not going to look at the scale anymore. But looking back, I did look slimmer than now of the same weight, Probably because I lost inches.

To the OP, it really depends on what your current weight is. If you are near your goal, you are probably not going to lose weight with p90x or insanity but you will be more toned and you will lose inches. Also, please eat more. 1200 is not close to being enough especially with the high intensity exercise.
  • nikkinz
    nikkinz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my last week and I've gained four pounds. Lost 1/2 inch on waist and hips. Lost 1 inch on thighs. I'm eating maintenence calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Your diary isn't open :(

I honestly don't think you're eating enough...you should be eating at least 1500 calories...probably even more. I had a really hard time losing weight when my calories were that low.

What works best for me (which obviously isn't an end all be all) for losing fat is following macros of 40% protein, 35% carbs, and 25% fat. Try messing around with balancing out your macros rather than eating a whole bunch of one macronutrient over the other.

If macro percentages (you really need the mobile app to make this easy) are too obnoxious try this:
    1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass (estimate your body fat percentage, calculate your number of pounds of fat and subtract it from overall weight)
    0.35*body weight = g of fat

^^This works for a ton of people including myself (that's how I got my 40/35/25 macros in the first place)

The fact of the matter is, the more closely you pay attention to what you're eating - the better results you'll get.

Proof: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/873475-p90x-and-insanity-toned-me-up

Even 1500 calories is a little light. Even if you only burn 400-600 calories, your net calories is a little low and eating too little just increases the chances of catabolizing lean body mass, which in turn will required greater weight loss to achieve the goal. Personally, I know I saw better results at 2600 calories doing CLX than I did at 1800 calories doing P90X. But I would agree with everything else. Nice results though.