5x5 question

Options
I have a question about when I should do my lifting routine. I started a 12 week weightloss program at my gym on 1/14 and I work out with a trainer on Sun, Tues, and Fri. This week I started doing the 5x5 strength routine and planned on doing it on Mon,Wed, and Fri. I am worried that I am not giving my body enough recovory time inbetween days by doing very hevy cardio with some circuit training on Sun,Tues,Th, and then lifting on the other days only giving my body Saturday to completely rest. Would it be better to get to the gym early on my days with the trainer and do my 5x5 routine and then have the other days to recover. In August when I went for my biometric screenings for insurance at work I weighed in at 489 and it kinda hit me that I was almost 1/4 ton and so started dieting, my gym offers a Lose Big program so started it on 1/14 and weighed in at 448, that is when I was introduced to MFP. I have lost another 10.4 lbs since starting it and do not want to hinder my weight loss as right now getting the weight off is a higher priority then getting my strength back to my high school/college football days. So would it be best to do both programs on the same day or continue with the set up I have right now of working out Sun-Fri and resting on Sat?

Replies

• jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! Heavy cardio, circuit training, and strength training is A LOT on your body while on a cut! I would personally just watch your macros, focus on maintaining strength, and throw in the occasional cardio. With already being in a caloric deficit, your body is going to take longer to recover and I don't think that only one day of rest a week is sufficient. Ease up just a little bit, you don't want to burn yourself out and stall progress. Best of luck man, keep at it!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Definitely ease up! working out 6 days a week is fine but you need to be smart about it. I would leave the 5x5 and either pick cardio or circuit training for the other days. Personally I would choose cardio to let your muscles recover more.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What they said. Give your body a chance to recover. I'd stick with the lifting and cardio, not worry so much about the circuit training.
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks, the circuit training is part of the Lose Big program I am doing. It is mixed in with the cardio. I can definatly feel the fatigue with doing the Lose Big program 3 days and then starting the 5x5 3 days. Think I will back off the 5x5 until the Lose Big program is done to give my body the proper recovery time. Thanks for the advice.