foot pain...

Options
does anyone else have foot and heal pain? ever since i started working out a month ago i have real bad heal and foot pain from it. most days i can hardly walk my heals hurt so bad when i get up from sleeping or sitting down and it really makes my workouts hard to do. any suggestions? anyone else deal with this at all?

Replies

• pippacont
    pippacont Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All the time! Try rolling a tennis ball along the floor with your foot- it's a great massage. You can also do dips on the stairs- put your toes on the edge of the step and let your heels drop back. Do both a few times a day and you should avoid a great deal of pain.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be Plantar Fasciitis, something I suffered from a while back. Took a long time to heal. Google it and see what you think. Then use ice and advil and try to stay off your feet for a while. If you can swim as your work out in the meantime, that would help. Also, stretch your feet, like off the edge of a step, I still do that even though mine is better now.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have plantar fascitis with heel spurs. Been there, done that.

Orthotics help. Also, roll a tennis ball or golf ball under your foot from the ball to the heel as often as possible. It helps stretch the tendon.

Taping your foot helps, too. You can find how-to videos on Youtube about how to tape properly.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It may be Plantar Fasciitis. Look it up and see if the symptoms sound familiar. I am suffering from it right now and under the care of my podiatrist
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Sorry to the posters above me. Guess we were all tyyping at the same time.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had to have surgery for plantar fasciitis in September...I ignored my pain and worked threw it till it got so bad I couldn't even finish a 8hr day at work with out limping. I'm in the healing stage now...but a few tips my physical therapist gave me that could help you are....

#1 stretch your fascia in the morning BEFORE you get out of bed. Take a towel or belt and wrap it around your foot just under the toes and slowly pull your foot towards your body. Do this a few times a day too...but its important to do in the morning before you step out of bed because we injure our fascia by stepping on it when its tight.

#2 freeze a 1 liter bottle and after work/works outs roll your foot over it for a few minutes. The ice will help stop any swelling (that causes pain) and the rolling over it helps to stretch the fascia

#3 step half way on a book or foot stool with your heel hanging off...and lean forward slowly. This will help stretch both your fascia and your calf muscles (often after lots of exercise our calf muscles get tight and pull the fascia causing pain).
  • cbrooke21ark
    cbrooke21ark Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis! My doctor advised putting a can of veggies/or soup or whatever in fridge to get cold and then roll your foot on it a few times a day.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    like everyone else above has posted it sounds like PF

basically the aponeurosis (sheath of fiber) that covers the bottom of your foot is tight so to say, in some cases it requires surgery - try ice plus rolling/stretching - maybe youtube some stretching exercises. Anti inflammatory meds may or may not help - but just be careful and don't go gungho with them

if none of that helps def go see your doctor / a podiatrist
  • ycortinas
    ycortinas Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are developing Heel Spurs. The foot pain you are describing in the morning and being unable to walk, is exactly how I was feeling when I was diagnosed with Heel Spurs. They suggested I buy a new pair of tennis shoes because my old pair might be worn out and not absorbing the shock properly. When that didn't work and the pain continued, I was given therapy and special exercises to strengthen my foot muscles. When therapy wasn't helping I had to have cortisone injections and finally that helped, but it hurt like a mother!!! I tend to develop Heel Spurs when I begin working out due to my weight, which is why I can't workout everyday. It is best that you stay off your feet until you go see a doctor if your pain continues because you will begin to compensate and pretty soon you will have pain in both feet. Good luck!
  • meganjjb
    Options
    well it does sound like what i have! thanks everyone for your input ill see what i can do and i hope it goes away
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I had to have surgery for plantar fasciitis in September...I ignored my pain and worked threw it till it got so bad I couldn't even finish a 8hr day at work with out limping. I'm in the healing stage now...but a few tips my physical therapist gave me that could help you are....

#1 stretch your fascia in the morning BEFORE you get out of bed. Take a towel or belt and wrap it around your foot just under the toes and slowly pull your foot towards your body. Do this a few times a day too...but its important to do in the morning before you step out of bed because we injure our fascia by stepping on it when its tight.

#2 freeze a 1 liter bottle and after work/works outs roll your foot over it for a few minutes. The ice will help stop any swelling (that causes pain) and the rolling over it helps to stretch the fascia

#3 step half way on a book or foot stool with your heel hanging off...and lean forward slowly. This will help stretch both your fascia and your calf muscles (often after lots of exercise our calf muscles get tight and pull the fascia causing pain).

This ^^^^ worst feeling ever.. If your feet hurt when you step out of bed you probably have it.
    Also do the ABCs with your foot.

The only thing that will make this better/go away is to stay off your feet. Inserts, shots etc only help with the pain but don't really solve it. I don't envy you at all.. I had it to the point I couldn't work and I had to go on short term disability at work, eventually I had to change jobs. The pain is gone but I am forever with inserts and where ortho shoes to make sure it doesn't come back.

Oh they say..weight loss will help with the pain...
  • oranje_mama
    Options
    I put in Superfeet inserts into my sneaks - the extra support has made a BIG difference. I had heel pain.