Why no gym machines?

Options
I see everyone here say not to use the machines at the gym.. Why not?

Replies

• jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Machines can be a great benefit, but they come with a risk. First off, most machines are going to focus on isolation movement which do not give the same results as your bigger compound lifts(bench press, overhead press, squat, deadlifts). Secondly, they do not allow you to move in a natural manner; machines follow the path they are designed to follow. This can lead to a lot of stress on vulnerable joints. And last, machines are only adjustable to a certain extent, this can make your workouts very uncomfortable if your body type doesn't quite fit the machine. Machines shouldn't be "off limits", but you should definitely use caution when using them.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    because they are less than ideal. free weights, especially with compound lifts, work multiple muscles groups and also help with things like stability, balance, etc.

Machines are good, but free weights are gooder.

That said, you do have to be a bit more careful with free weights. form is more important and it's generally easier to hurt yourself if you're not being careful than with machines.
  • loseit4ever12
    Options
    So if all I can use is weight machines right now should I? I plan to move to free weights soon.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So if all I can use is weight machines right now should I? I plan to move to free weights soon.

I agree with what jacksonpt said.

Why can't you do free weights now? If you're planning to do them eventually, that is.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Yes, absolutely! There is nothing wrong with most machines... certainly better than not lifting at all. If machines are all you have access to or are all you are comfortable with, that's more than fine.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with machines. Look at the biggest or strongest guys in any given gym. Most of them regularly use machines, even powerlifters supplement with them. Just make sure to work your body in balance.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with machines. Look at the biggest or strongest guys in any given gym. Most of them regularly use machines, even powerlifters supplement with them. Just make sure to work your body in balance.
    This.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    machines are OK...but they tend to have a set range of motion. You only work the specific muscle it targets.

Cable machines are a little better because you tend to have to use *some* stabilizing muscles to keep the desired range of motion.

free weights are BETTER because you HAVE to use the chosen muscle, plus several stabilizing muscle groups.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I use both a combination of Both I do compund first the move to machines u can go heavy on machines without having to stablise as much but both are important
  • loseit4ever12
    Options
    I can't afford a personal trainer ( have to pay for a full month) and I am not about to jump into the free weights without someone showing me correctly how to do it. I have NROL4W but I am not about to attempt it on my own :-) I am saving up so in the meantime I was just using the weight machines.
  • loseit4ever12
    Options

Thank you for this. I figure they are better than nothing and they are at every gym so they must do some good. I lift the heaviest I can.