multivitamin suggestions/thoughts

Options
I have never taken a multivitamin, but I am considering changing that, because I know I don't get everything I need from what I am eating throughout the day. Are multivitamins really worth it? I've heard before that you pee most of the good stuff out anyway.

Thoughts? If you're for them, can you offer a suggestion for one or guidelines for the one I choose?
(I live in Pennsylvania, US).

Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am vitamin B12 deficient (per blood work at my doctor). Taking a multi makes up for the deficiency (again, confirmed by bloodwork). Yes, you do excrete whatever vitamins you don't use but you also will absorb what you need if you are indeed deficient.

I like vitamins with no food dyes or extra additives. I am currently using the Whole Foods house brand (365 brand) but have also used Natures Made in the past.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin and mineral everyday with a meal. Best take it with a meal for your body to absorb the vits and mins from it.

Figure they are cheap, can't hurt (at one a day) and are there if my body needs them. Also makes up for days when I might be lacking something in my diet.

Obviously they are a SUPPLEMENT though and should only be used as such.
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know that Nature Made Vitamins are a high quality.
    I have trouble with the hard pills: they make me nauseous.
    Taking a liqui-gel version of the multi has made a big difference.
    I take a liqui-gel multi vitamin for Women by Nature Made.
    I have no trouble with that.

You can get them at Target .
    I live in Pittsburgh so we are kinda neighbors!
    Good luck!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I take a daily one, don't know if it does much but I figure it can't hurt.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have found the only one that doesn't make me want to vomit (literally, they ALL make me sick) are the gummies.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    They're a good insurance policy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    OP...are you sure you don't get your vitamins with what you are eating...you can track some of them on here. Chances are you are probably getting your vitamins in what you eat unless you're just eating junk food. A lot of people say that it can't hurt...but there is such a thing as vitamin toxicity. This is most common with large dosing of vitamin supplements, but if you're eating a nutritious diet and taking supplements it can happen. It is far more common with oil soluble vitamins than water soluble vitamins as excess water soluble vitamins are eliminated in your urine, whereas oil soluble vitamins stay in the body longer.

It's something you should be aware of, but not to worry too much unless you're really dosing on supplements. That said, I stopped taking my multi vitamin awhile back because I was getting so much nutrition in my food. The only thing I take is Vitamin D3 5,000 IU because I'm deficient per my blood work. I also take fish oil, but those are the only two supplements I take. It's like my wife's Scottish uncle says..."American's have the most expensive piss in the world."
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    most made me feel sick, but I recently started the Alive multi-vitamin gummies for adults and I haven't had a problem with them, but I don't like that they have some sugar in them so I may switch to a gel type capsule instead.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    Be careful because there could be some things in the multi that you don't need. I am extremely sensitive to iodine to I have to make sure there is no iodine in my vitamin. I started taking a multi with iron because I thought I wasn't getting enough iron. Doc told me to STOP taking the ones with iron. Some people get very nauseous from multi vitaimins.

I had a full nutitional workup by my physician and found out that I have a Vitamin D deficiency (as most of us up North have) and am borderline low in Vitamin B12. Even though my food macros show I am low in iron in my diet, my bloodwork shows that I am just fine. I take 4000 of Vitamin D, 1000 of B12 and a multi with no minerals and not a huge amount of vitamins (per vitamin). Not all vitamins are the same, some have a lot more of the vitamin than others.
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OP...are you sure you don't get your vitamins with what you are eating...you can track some of them on here. Chances are you are probably getting your vitamins in what you eat unless you're just eating junk food. A lot of people say that it can't hurt...but there is such a thing as vitamin toxicity. This is most common with large dosing of vitamin supplements, but if you're eating a nutritious diet and taking supplements it can happen. It is far more common with oil soluble vitamins than water soluble vitamins as excess water soluble vitamins are eliminated in your urine, whereas oil soluble vitamins stay in the body longer.

It's something you should be aware of, but not to worry too much unless you're really dosing on supplements. That said, I stopped taking my multi vitamin awhile back because I was getting so much nutrition in my food. The only thing I take is Vitamin D3 5,000 IU because I'm deficient per my blood work. I also take fish oil, but those are the only two supplements I take. It's like my wife's Scottish uncle says..."American's have the most expensive piss in the world."

Haha, laughing at the expensive piss thing. I've heard people say that as well.

I am truly not sure if I am getting enough of what I need from my diet. I really don't eat much junk food on the whole, but I recently went low carb/high protein/high fat, and I guess with such a drastic change it made me start wondering if I was missing out on something. Chances are I am okay. I'll look into tracking some of that on here. Or perhaps ask my doc for blood work at my next visit.
  • KathrynCatlady
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied so far. Good info.

For all those who gag or get sick from vitamins, I hear ya. I have pretty much HATED the smell/taste of any vitamins I've taken in the past (like an immune support vitamin I have from Whole Foods... the smell makes me want to vomit), but I can choke down almost anything... even that.

I've seen the gummy vites, but I've always been skeptical. I'm sure they're fine, but I'd probably just feel like I was eating candy. :-)

I think when it comes down to it, maybe I should just have blood work.
  • KathrynCatlady
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin and mineral everyday with a meal. Best take it with a meal for your body to absorb the vits and mins from it.

Figure they are cheap, can't hurt (at one a day) and are there if my body needs them. Also makes up for days when I might be lacking something in my diet.

Obviously they are a SUPPLEMENT though and should only be used as such.

Good call on pointing out the SUPPLEMENT part of this equation. I definitely eat fruits and veggies, and get out in the sun as much as I can.... but you're absolutely right. I think there's just some days where I wonder, "Did I do -enough-?"

So, thank you.