Uh oh---office birthday celebration

Options
Normally Im very good about avoiding sweets and other trigger foods. Except when they're presented to me in a free-food situation like a social gathering or party. Today, my office will be celebrating January and February birthdays and those who want to participate were asked to contribute $10. I made up an excuse to not participate: I told them that I've been having an allergic reaction lately so I am tracking very carefully what I eat. (It's half true. The other half of the truth being that the allergy goes away when I take claritin. Though it still is an unknown allergy since Ive been eating the same foods and using the same detergent and soaps for well over a year).

I feel bad for making up an excuse but if I hadn;t---I'd be setting myself up for a binge and feeling sick and having my blood sugar go through the roof and crash later.

Anyone else had to make up an excuse to avoid going off their meal plan or binging?

Replies

• soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    We do birthday cupcakes each month here at work and the first few months when I politely declined I got a little push back but eventually they got used to it and would just move on when I would decline. I do try to participate every few months though, maybe have half a cupcake or just go ahead and eat the whole thing if I have enough calories saved up in the day.

I understand where you're coming from though, sometimes the simplest little thing like a piece of chocolate can turn into 10 pieces and feeling like crap the whole day (I had one yesterday) so do what you have to.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Or you could have a SLIVER - eat it slowly so you TASTE it - LOG it -- and take a walk later today to burn a few calories
  • writer_chick
    writer_chick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have a birthday celebration for my mother-in-law I have to go to, and they're ordering Greek food. Gyros! Yum! But I'm only going to eat a smalllll serving and then fill up on veggies after that.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    were having a celebration tomorrow lol im going to eat a little of everything.....which is mexican food and cake mmmmm
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    congrats fo rposting. Publicly stating the concern is half the battle and creates accountability! Nice!

For me, the 'surprise' affect is the biggest. If i didn't know that there was going to be cake and dip and chips and... then i get caught off guard and i dive right in. then i am pissed at myself for the next two days as i have to work extra hard to correct the mistake.

However, if i KNOW about the event, then i can emotionally and physically prepare for it. I can plan to have 1 small piece of cake and have practiced, in my head, the process of saying 'no' to others and myself. Additionally, if i know that there is going to be an office birthday bash at 3:00 p.m., i load up on green peppers and other high fiber veggies prior to. I feel full and the signals from my body help to over come the rest.

I feel for you. I hate making up reasons but a little advanced prep goes a long way to turning an event like this something that you have to hide from or lie about to something that you can actually enjoy.

Good luck!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Naah, I don't really feel the need to make excuses. I decide based on my own "deliciousness factor" whether I want to partake in a treat or not. Chocolate cake, not a huge fan, so I can pass on that when it's brought in. But when my coworker brings in homemade mini cherry cheesecakes...I cram one in my mouth. And go on with my day.

Also, a lot of people seem to have problems with their coworkers when it comes to this stuff. Mine don't really care, I think they have more on their mind then why I'm not eating their cake.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nope. This is something that I am doing for life and I refuse to make excuses for the rest of my life. Office birthdays, last minute dinner invites, and parties are something that I have to deal with. So I deal with them.
  • mjaustin45
    mjaustin45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to this whole fitness pal thing and all. I have lost about 5 pounds but I am trying to lose more. We have "goodies" at work all the time it seems and it is so hard to decline because it looks so good. If anyone has any ideas on how to have the will power to stay away from it, I would really appreciate it.
  • sunnyGinnaye
    Options
    congrats fo rposting. Publicly stating the concern is half the battle and creates accountability! Nice!

For me, the 'surprise' affect is the biggest. If i didn't know that there was going to be cake and dip and chips and... then i get caught off guard and i dive right in. then i am pissed at myself for the next two days as i have to work extra hard to correct the mistake.

However, if i KNOW about the event, then i can emotionally and physically prepare for it. I can plan to have 1 small piece of cake and have practiced, in my head, the process of saying 'no' to others and myself. Additionally, if i know that there is going to be an office birthday bash at 3:00 p.m., i load up on green peppers and other high fiber veggies prior to. I feel full and the signals from my body help to over come the rest.

I feel for you. I hate making up reasons but a little advanced prep goes a long way to turning an event like this something that you have to hide from or lie about to something that you can actually enjoy.

Good luck!

i love this! I think you did great. sometimes in those situations it gets out of control easily. well done by knowing what to do to avoid a risky situation. in the future try bringing a healthy alternative just for you?? a pre portioned treat??
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I handle these one of three ways

1) I have a small sliver/portion, enjoy it, and put in a little extra time at the gym if it throws off my numbers, but typically I can just lessen the size of my nighttime snack.

2) I say "no thank you" and if pressed mention I have a fictitious or real dessert planned for after dinner so I have to pass

3) I take something small back to my desk have a literal bite and throw the rest in my barrel. A bite of anything shouldn't be a deal breaker. I make sure I've already had my afternoon snack so I can have a bite of whatever and not want more...

This is all helped by the fact that I've lost over 90 pounds and if I decline, nobody presses the issue.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I just went into the conference room where the celebration is being held. I joined for happy birthday and took some coffee. Even though the coordinator knows about my ällergy", she offerred me fruit. Becuase Im not hungry and recently ate breakfast, i said "no thank you." "even fruit?" "well, ive been eating the same foods for a number of years now and im still having this allergic reaction so id rather play it safe if its not food prepared by me" (half truth! the doctor told me the allergy was some chemical or cleaning supply in the house). When they passed around a plate of ham and cheese sandwiches, i again said no. and then I walked away. I hope none sees me as anti-social in there, especially because its a temp job and i would like to be kept on as a permanent employee.

By the way, in the past i would try to just have a sliver of this, or half a serving of that. BUt the problem was that I had it though i wasnt hungry. My tastebuds wanted it, not my stomach. And a sliver, when its sweets, usually turns into more for me. It's a bite of a cookie, half a slice of cake, 1/4 of a brownie...etc. Thank you all for your motivation and support and ideas! I really like the idea of taking somethign to my desk and throwing it away after just having a bite!

I do have my healthy treat in the fridge: banana cream greek yogurt. But to avoid constant snacking and compulsive eating, I'm saving it for my set snack time at 10:30 :D