Women who are broad shouldered...

Options
What kind of exercises do you do ? I have broad shoulders and just wondering what exercises work best ? I don't want to look big or anything just slimmed out and toned .

Replies

• thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great question, I need the answers to this one too. My husband describes my shoulders as "man shoulders". Yeah, he's the best (insert sarcasm here).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do the same exersices as everyone else.

weights/cardio/resistenance training.

Dont' want big shoulders? Don't lift heavy on the shoulder press and shrugs..

Honestly I want the same as you, and i'm doing whatever program my boyfriend has me on and it's working and I use heavy weights even for shoulders. I am definately slimming down and getting toned all over.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The best thing for making your shoulders look smaller? Weight loss.

Not trying to be mean, but if you have fat on your shoulders, losing the fat will go a long way to making you look better.

Also, it is very unlikely that you will add "bulk/muscles" to your shoulders, even if you lift heavy weights. It's difficult for women to gain muscle, even more difficult when you are in a calorie deficit. I lift heavy and my shoulders are only getting less fat.

People used to describe me as being broad shouldered - and I was actually told yesterday that my shoulders were normal sized (during a conversation about a piece of clothing and whether or not it was smaller than stated).
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have big shoulders, but kind of on purpose (I train for a sport that uses shoulders and back). Losing weight is making me smaller all over.
  • toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    great stuff . good to know others in same boat .
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    embrace your body structure and roll with it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises do you do ? I have broad shoulders and just wondering what exercises work best ? I don't want to look big or anything just slimmed out and toned .

Lucky you! I would love to have big shoulders (rather than the scrawny ones I have). I used to love it when good clothes had shoulder pads--makes clothes look a lot better. I tend to look like I'm a kid trying to dress up in my mother's clothes. :wink:

My daughter has big shoulders (she got her dad's shoulders) and she just avoids exercise that bulks them up. In general, women don't get bulky with weight-lifting unless they are on steroids.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    embrace your body structure and roll with it.

I agree. I have broad shoulders and a big rib cage and I like them like that. I have a lot of lean body mass for my height and that makes me stronger :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Not trying to be mean, but if you have fat on your shoulders, losing the fat will go a long way to making you look better.

Also, it is very unlikely that you will add "bulk/muscles" to your shoulders, even if you lift heavy weights. It's difficult for women to gain muscle, even more difficult when you are in a calorie deficit. I lift heavy and my shoulders are only getting less fat.

People used to describe me as being broad shouldered - and I was actually told yesterday that my shoulders were normal sized (during a conversation about a piece of clothing and whether or not it was smaller than stated).

This. Once I lost enough weight they slimmed down a lot! -- right now I have weight to lose because I've gained back some within the years. Grrr, oh well!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Honestly I want the same as you, and i'm doing whatever program my boyfriend has me on and it's working and I use heavy weights even for shoulders. I am definately slimming down and getting toned all over.

Does lifting heavy make it worse for girls with broad shoulders?
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    One tip my trainer gave me was to keep my shoulders down when lifting. In other words don't shrug them and you will not get the big traps like guys want and have. They will slim out with weight loss.
  • a11ison5
    Options
    I also have broad shoulders and a wider rib cage, just due to bone structure. I just finished reading the New Rules of Lifting for Woman, and the author says that with following the diet plan and workout structure you should end up with a smaller waist and your shirts will fit tighter around the arms and shoulders.... which is not what I want, at all. So I'm thinking I should avoid any type of heavy lifting with shoulders/upper back? I'd like to try the plan in the book but this is making me hesitent.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize being broad shouldered was something you could change. Broad implies far across, and weight ususally doesn't have anything to do with that. I'm broad shouldered, but I'm also close to 6ft tall. Also, as a woman, muscle gain is much harder to come by. Just keep doing what you're doing, remember proper form when lifting (i.e. shoulders down), and as you keep thinning out everything should end up balancing out.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Lora - most women who think they are "broad-shouldered" aren't as broad as they'd predict....you just have layers of fat covering up your muscle. Lift heavy weights, lose the fat, and you'll see more of an hourglass shape appear.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Nope. Misconception.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

i imagine the visual difference that would be made would be negligible unless you bulk for a long time and possibly use PEDs.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think brought shoulders look nice and athletic.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

This my shoulders and upper back fat are starting to shrink
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders BUT I worked hard to get them that way. I don't have much of a defined waistline so my shoulders give me the appearance of one. :blushing: I lift heavy and do lots of cardio and I wouldn't change it for the world. :smile:
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are the best upper-body exercise for women. If you can do them full-bodied you will exercise your whole body, but if you can, just do them from your knees, varying the distance between your hands to exercise your chest, shoulders, triceps and back. You can even do them standing up putting your hands at shoulder-height on a wall with your feet far enough away from the wall that you have about two inches between your palms and the wall when you hold your arms out to put them on the wall (palms facing the wall, fingers toward the ceiling.) You can do the same thing on a desk or a stationary chair if you don't want to get down on the floor. The upright ones can be done in business clothes in multiple sets at work. I sometimes do them on the bathroom counter when I'm waiting for the shower water to get hot. Yes, I'm broad-shouldered, too. Can't wear off-the-shoulder dresses or blouses because it doesn't look right.