appetite suppresant

Options
has anyone out there tried any appetite suppresants? which ones would you recommend and not recommend?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Foods high in protein and fats, as well as veggies can help. In terms of true suppressants, I hear hoodie is ok. But my personal opinion is to improve the foods you eat to optimize satiety. This even may include exercising so you can eat more and having a smaller calorie deficit to you don't get hunger pangs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I were going to take a suppresant, I'd talk to my doctor about a recommendation.
  • Blinx99
    Blinx99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    green tea always works

cold glasses of water - regular intervals

almonds soaked in water - google this one, interesting read
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber. Eggs especially always keep me full for a good while. I lose my appetite for a few hours after working out, but some people are the opposite. Staying hydrated helps, as well as getting enough sleep. If I'm tired, I am hungry all day.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Green tea, apple cider vinegar! Eating regular small meals with protein!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry, eat. You will be less likely to binge. Not a donut, not a whole pizza. When I'm hungry I'll grab a piece of fruit or maybe some nuts. Just portion them out.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly cinnamon works. When I eat something with it I'm much more satisfied for longer than if I didn't season with it. Doesn't meld well with all flavors though haha.

My best thing is cold water. It seriously helps way more than you think it will.
  • lldelmonte
    lldelmonte Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Interesting comment about being tired. I hadn't thought of it before, but when I am tired I definitely have more trouble controlling my appetite. Protein and fiber good recommend also.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hunger is hormonal. If you are eating your TDEE - x% and you are still hungry then you need to just fight you way through it. Some of the suggestions of food choices above will definitely help. I would think that one thing you don't want to do is mess around with your hormonal system with medication.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking my appetite was out of control.

I used bee pollen to curb my appetite and it worked. It did not make me jittery, it is also an all natural superfood, it helps with allergies BUT can kill you if you are allergic to bees.

I took 2 before I ate breakfast and the same before lunch (about 10 minutes). That way I got my required meals but did not eat everything in the house in between.

Good luck. Another thing that can help with eating is sucking on a very strong altoid.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If there was a safe, effective appetite suppresant then doctors everywhere would be prescribing it. Like everyone else has said, foods high in protein and fibre really help (slices of ready-cooked lean meat, hard boiled eggs). I also load up my fridge with cucumber and celery as they have very few calories. A load of them chopped up with some herbs or chilis sprinkled over looks like a massive amount, is satisfying to eat but won't damage your calorie count.

I also try to eat quite lightly early on in the day (breakfast and lunch) so that I can save a snack or two for the evening. Nothing worse than getting a big craving for food at 10pm and finding you have no calories left. That way you don't feel deprived and don't get a sense of panic at 5pm when you realise you've used up your entire calorie count for the day.

Drinks are also a good distraction - from herbal tea (green, white or ginger tea are my favourites) to coffee (make sure you calculate the calories in the milk and use a frother, if you can get one - feels like a real treat to drink a cup of coffee with creamy foam on top. I use a Bodum frother and fat free milk seems to work best).

Also worth making sure you calorie goal for the day is right. Don't eat below your BMR as it will make you unnecessarily hungry and could mess with your metabolism. Eating the right amount and not going too low will also help you get to your goal and stick to it.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One that is talked about is Saffron Extract. Pretty exspensive and I don't believe their is any true scientific studies out there. It is also used for a number of things including PMS, Asthma, Heartburn, Insomnia just to name a few. Again, no real evidence it works.
  • edwards
    edwards Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    've used phentermine ( half of the old phen-phen pill) it does have sone of the jittery type side effects but I wasn't to bothered by it. It is prescription only though.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Coffee?
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I find eating enough food suppresses my appetite.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend anything other than coffee or green tea. Any type of medication will mess up your body, if they even work at all.

Eating the right foods help as well - that's what's most important.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I find eating enough food suppresses my appetite.

This
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Caffeine makes me too jittery...I have to avoid all of it.

Six small meals a day really makes this do-able and long-lasting, if you can divide out what you can do and leave room for three small snacks in between. Fill in the rest with low cal drinks choices, a walk, and other interests. Really does work. You may have one or two weeks of adjustment, but it passes as your body gets used to "the new boss".
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you are Hungry -EAT! Eat filling foods with protein and fiber!DO NOT USE ANY PILLS OR ARTIFICIAL SUPPRESSANTS!
    your digestive fire is the what keeps your metabolism going-dont kill that digestive fire with artificial suppressants.Lot of times the body manifest nutrition deficiencies as hunger-so really try to eat nutrition rich foods-greens/nuts/protein+take supplements-your hunger will regulate in some time.
    IF still uncontrollable-i think you should really reevaluate your calorie goals.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Stick with foods and avoid appetite suppresants and doctors.
    They will prescribe anything and most of the meds on the market do more harm than good,
    in fact they are more likely to do you in, than the problem for which it was prescribed.
    Eat more vegetables and protein.
    Avoid wheat, that really spikes your hunger.