tired

I have been doing cardio for a good while now training for a 1/2 marathon...at the first of the year I added weight training to my weekly workouts - been hitting the gym about 4 days a week - including some cardio with a long run on Saturdays. Before the weight training I always had plenty of energy, but now I am tired in the mornings and don't want to crawl out of bed!!!! - I don't normally drink caffeine, but have started adding a caffeinated drink in the morning to get me going....IS THIS NORMAL???? I am almost a year out from bariatric surgery (please don't judge) and my caloric intake is about 1500 on average before exercise...it's hard to get a lot of calories in and eat healthy and I take all my supplements like I should - very conscious of my nutrition - so that is where I am....just tired.

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Sounds like youre not eating enough. You need to fuel your workouts and training for a half marathon and weightlifting wont cut it with 1500 calories a day. 1900 - 2000 seems like a more realistic number. But you need to find out what your TDEE is and subtract 10- 20% from that to continue the weight loss and still have enough energy.

Just re read... are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    I am supposed to get 1800 cals a day according to my nutritionist my TDEE is around 1550. I have a hard time eating 1800 cals much less eating back exercise cals - unless I eat higher fat food - which I don't want to do....maybe I should drink a higher cal protein shake or add another shake in somewhere - I eat every couple of hours as it is.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    If you simply can't eat enough calories to sustain the demands exercise is putting on your body, the simplest solution is to decrease exercise frequency and/or intensity. You might try cutting down/out the cardio for a bit and focusing mainly on weight lifting as it looks like you are getting pretty close to your goal weight (based on your banner).
  • Hi all !

When doing a 45 minute TaeBo workout does it really burn over 400 calories ? I just started my weight loss and I'm doing this workout but I'm not sure that it works..any opinions about TaeBo pleaseeee :)

CW/SW - 174.4
    GW - 127
    Height - 5'4''

Thanksss :D xx
  • ragslittle
    Hi all !

When doing a 45 minute TaeBo workout does it really burn over 400 calories ? I just started my weight loss and I'm doing this workout but I'm not sure that it works..any opinions about TaeBo pleaseeee :)

CW/SW - 174.4
    GW - 127
    Height - 5'4''

It's called "body combat" - it's an aerobic kickboxing class - 60 minutes non-stop - studies have shown that you can burn up to 700 cals per hour (so they say) - the TaeBo is the closest classification I could find in MFP - it is the most awesome class I have ever taken.
  • Hi all !

CW/SW - 174.4
    GW - 127
    Height - 5'4''

It's called "body combat" - it's an aerobic kickboxing class - 60 minutes non-stop - studies have shown that you can burn up to 700 cals per hour (so they say) - the TaeBo is the closest classification I could find in MFP - it is the most awesome class I have ever taken.

That's what I read but I'm finding it impossible to believe ! I'll have to buy a heart rate monitor to be accurate :)

Thank You :)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    To the original question...

If you're definitely getting enough calories in (eat back your workouts, or follow your nutritionist's guidelines to the T), you may not be getting enough electrolytes in, or some other nutrient. I know when I'm shy on magnesium or potassium, my sleep isn't restorative and though I average 8 hours, I don't feel rested. So I add rehydration salts to my water, and take magnesium and B complex before bed, then the same amount of sleep feels absolutely fabulous. But if you're religiously tracking and watching your nutrients, you might just be tired from training.

Also, depending on your goals and how you want to do in the half marathon, you might want to back off the weights (just another idea to complement the other person's suggestion of backing off the cardio). If you back off the mileage, and you've not gotten to the 10 mile run in your program yet, you risk being undertrained for the half marathon. HOWEVER if weight loss is more important than running the half, just make sure you do at least one 10-12 mile run (for the mental "yeah! I can do this" part of the game) and maintain 20 miles or so a week. Expect to walk some during the half marathon (keep an eye on your pace if they re-open the course), and you should find yourself feeling a better much sooner. There is NO shame in walking, seriously. Elite runners do it all the time. Google "Jeff Galloway". Do what works for YOU.

Training for your first half marathon, especially if you don't have a history of athletic competitions or running, is exhausting. I'm in the middle of my 7th marathon training season and there's many a day when the caffeine just enables me to keep my day job. It DOES get easier, but not by much, especially if you try to do it faster next time ;) . That's why crossing the finish line is so damn sweet.

Oh - one more thought. You can use your heart rate during exercise to judge if you're overtraining or not. What you want to do is look at a history, so if you haven't taken any HR readings or don't use a HRM, you'd start now. After 15 minutes of running, take your heart rate (unless you use a HRM). 15 minutes in to each run, your heart rate should be the same (assuming you're running the same course each time). If it's creeping up day to day but lower after a rest day, or you're in your anaerobic range for long periods of time (google it), you might be over training. Slow down, take an extra rest day, and pick it back up but at a slower pace.

Good luck!!
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    I am supposed to get 1800 cals a day according to my nutritionist my TDEE is around 1550. I have a hard time eating 1800 cals much less eating back exercise cals - unless I eat higher fat food - which I don't want to do....maybe I should drink a higher cal protein shake or add another shake in somewhere - I eat every couple of hours as it is.

>> Unless I eat higher fat food - which I don't want to do

Can you explain this sentiment, given your scenario? Does your nutritionist understand this about you? Do they agree?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Are they monitoring your blood chemistry? Have you had a recent iron panel? I assume you are still taking your multivitamins, correct? What about your B12 and folate levels? Wonder if you might be a bit anemic?

PS-Good work on getting healthy you should be commended. Goes to show WLS is just a tool it's the real hard work that gets the results. You should be very proud of your progress.
  • ragslittle

>> Unless I eat higher fat food - which I don't want to do

Can you explain this sentiment, given your scenario? Does your nutritionist understand this about you? Do they agree?

Coming from a morbidly obese mentality to get to where I am plus being a gastric bypass patient I have to be careful with making poor choices. I am funny about slipping back into bad habits - yes I do have cravings - some I satisfy others I push through. It scares me to even consider the thought of going backwards - so I try to stay to low cal / low fat food / higher protein and small portions with frequent meals / snacks. She wants me to keep my macros at about 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat. Other than I don't NET 1800 cals or really even intake 1800 most days we agree on everything.

I am going to slow down cardio after the 1/2 marathon - this is my second one so I am well prepared - it's only 2 away.

I had my labs done about a month ago - the MD hasn't called to tell me anything is out of the normal range - so I figured everything was ok.....maybe I will call and just find out for sure.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    If the problem started after adding in weight training to your routine, I would suppose you're not getting enough protein and/or fats. I would change your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Fats are not bad for you! Avocados and nuts and even butter and naturally occurring animal fats are not going to hurt you as long as you don't go crazy on your calories. Just avoid anything that has the word "hydrogenated" in it. Add in a little fat and you'll have no trouble meeting your calories. A little healthy fat is going to be MUCH better for you than a caffeinated morning beverage to get you going.