Insanity and Lifting Weights?

Options
I am on my 2nd Round of Insanity. My upper body strength just isn't where I want it to be....I had it when I started my 1st Round of Insanity but I believe that's because I had been lifting weights (Not heavy) for a few months every other day.

What I am wondering is:

Is it safe for my body if I lift (not heavy) every other day during Insanity? I am about to start Month 2.

Below is a quick example of what I would be doing if I lifted:

Curls - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15
Lunges - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15
Shoulder Press - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15
Squats - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15
Skull Crusher - 8lb weight - 3 sets of 15
Chest Flys - 8 lb weights - 3 sets of 15

Any suggestions or experiences?

Advice or even criticism is welcomed as I really just want to do what's best for my body. Also, I don't want to bulk is why I am not lifting heavy...and if I did go up on weights, I would lower my reps.

Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd Round of Insanity. My upper body strength just isn't where I want it to be....I had it when I started my 1st Round of Insanity but I believe that's because I had been lifting weights (Not heavy) for a few months every other day.

What I am wondering is:

Is it safe for my body if I lift (not heavy) every other day during Insanity? I am about to start Month 2.

Advice or even criticism is welcomed as I really just want to do what's best for my body. Also, I don't want to bulk is why I am not lifting heavy...and if I did go up on weights, I would lower my reps.

Thanks!

With just 8lbs, I doubt you will run into any trouble. It will stop being strength training in about a week.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options

What I am wondering is:

Thanks!

With just 8lbs, I doubt you will run into any trouble. It will stop being strength training in about a week.

Can you elaborate? I appreciate your comment. I am just not sure I am understanding the suggestion. Should I lift heavier? I am 4' 10" and petite...I only chose 8lbs as that is what the pt had suggested since I was a beginner...Thank you.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes it's fine to lift. I would say make sure to listen to your body and rest when needed. I do Insanity was well. Finishing up my first month and I still lift heavy during the week when I can and I do other things like zumba, stairmill, etc.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially things like squats.

Though 8lbs is pretty appropriate to start with for skull cusher and chest flys.

You have been here nearly a year, so you've probably seen all the posts about how women don't get bulky without steroids, so, whatevs.

but higher reps are more likely to cause sarcoplasmic hypertrophy than low rep high weight ;)
  • MzRawkqueen
    Options
    I think you need to vary your weight lifting to give your body time to recover. Do arms one day and then legs another and incorporate core in each :)
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Yes it's fine to lift. I would say make sure to listen to your body and rest when needed. I do Insanity was well. Finishing up my first month and I still lift heavy during the week when I can and I do other things like zumba, stairmill, etc.

Thank you. I appreciate your share and advice. :)
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Yes. Especially things like squats.

Though 8lbs is pretty appropriate to start with for skull cusher and chest flys.

You have been here nearly a year, so you've probably seen all the posts about how women don't get bulky without steroids, so, whatevs.

but higher reps are more likely to cause sarcoplasmic hypertrophy than low rep high weight ;)

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge/experience. :) Thanks!
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    I think you need to vary your weight lifting to give your body time to recover. Do arms one day and then legs another and incorporate core in each :)

Great Advice! Thanks! :) My concern too is that I would have total body soreness from lifting and it would cause an issue with my form during Insanity. I think switching it up would definitely help with that.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Great Advice! Thanks! :) My concern too is that I would have total body soreness from lifting and it would cause an issue with my form during Insanity. I think switching it up would definitely help with that.

Since starting Insanity I've really backed off of doing leg workouts because when doing Insanity you work your legs non-stop. I tried to do heavy leg workouts at night and then do Insanity the next day and my legs were dead. I only do Insanity M-F at work so if I do legs I do them on Saturday so that I have Sunday to recover and then hit it hard again with Insanity on Monday. That's just my experience.
  • k8ermarie
    Options

Since starting Insanity I've really backed off of doing leg workouts because when doing Insanity you work your legs non-stop. I tried to do heavy leg workouts at night and then do Insanity the next day and my legs were dead. I only do Insanity M-F at work so if I do legs I do them on Saturday so that I have Sunday to recover and then hit it hard again with Insanity on Monday. That's just my experience.

Thanks for sharing....I really was just wanting to improve my upper body anyway. My legs are doing well because of all the Plyo-metrics involved with Insanity. :) I may just work on upper body as we really only use that for Plank and Drills. I appreciate it!