First visit to the gym

Options
I will be a first timer to the gym this afternoon and I don't know where to start! I usually do 45-60 minutes on a bike at home and burn anywhere from 415-530 calories depending on my speed. I was getting bored and needing to change up my routine so I joined the gym. The problem is I am totally intimidated by all the machines there! Any suggestions on what I should try to get a similar burn?? They have treadmills, ellipticals, and lots of weight machines. Thanks!

Replies

• Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I worked out at home for 10 months and hit my goal weight. I was getting bored and burnt out on the home workouts so I joined a gym. I do strength training (weights) 3 days a week and do cardio.

The gym staff can help you with the machines or you can also speak to a trainer and do a few sessions to get you started.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just walked into a gym for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I made an apt with the free trainer to see what would be best for me for my goals. Until I had the apt with him I did 25 minutes on the treadmill walking with an incline, 25 minutes on the upright exercise bike and then did 15 min on the ellipitcal machine. I did a few of the weight machines my physical therapist told me to do and I asked the staff at the gym which machines these were. After I met with the trainer, he told me to do weight machines every other day and just do a little warm up with cardio before the weight machines and then after weight machines do as much cardio as I want afterwards so usually I do cardio only three days a week and weight machines then cardio 2-3 days a week. I really enjoy going to the gym and miss it when I don't go. I was sick the last two days so didn't get there but am planning to workout tonight after work and then this weekend.
    Enjoy the gym!
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Go up to the biggest person there and punch them right in the nose so everyone else there knows you're not to be effed with
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I would hire a trainer and start by paying for a couple of sessions, and ask them to show you how to lift and what kinds of lifts and machines to do in order to reach your specific goals. Free sessions are usually.. well, you get what you pay for...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Just ask for an instructor to show you how to properly use all of the machines. Most places do this at least once without charging. They will walk you through everything you want to use and give you some ideas.
    Enjoy!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a free 1:1 with the trainers. See if they do. Best of luck on your new journey!
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    ellipticals are fabulous! but I just recently met with a trainer to learn how to use the strength training machines and i'm so glad I did! It adds variety and makes you feel like you're getting more for your work out, building muscle and then doing some cardio. I love it!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Go up to the biggest person there and punch them right in the nose so everyone else there knows you're not to be effed with

This.
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There is no better tool there than free weights (machines are secondary). learn how to use them. ask people or do research online, watch youtube videos, etc. Do you not just avoid the weights.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to have someone at the gym walk you through all the different types of machines that are available. If no one is available, there usually is a picture/diagram on the side of the machine that shows you the motion of the machine and a description of the muscles you will be using. And when you're using one machine it'll give you the opportunity to watch what other people are doing.
  • CortneyHicks20
    Options
    If you can't do a free personal trainer visit, get on a treadmill and people watch. Figure out what is what so you have some kind of an idea about what you want to do. I start every workout with some type of cardio anyways, this is where i get my heart rate up and my head on straight.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like this guys regimen.

I use it every time I go to the gym, plus some.

http://doubleyourgains.com/doubleyourgains-3-5-beginners-strength-training-program
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I would strongly recommend hiring a good trainer for a few months, or if you have a friend that is knowledgeable about training. While youtube videos and books help show you different exercises, you won't really know if you are doing them correctly without someone there to watch and help as you are doing them.

A good trainer will tailor a program specifically to you and your capabilities (i.e. if you have shoulder problems or knee problems they will adjust). They will give you confidence to not worry about other people, because it will be just you two. They will also help you remain consistent in working towards your goals.
  • cph4883
    cph4883 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! They do offer 1:1 orientation that is free but there are so many people signed up for it there is a week or two on the wait list. I plan on signing up for it though as it seems that will be helpful! I think today I will do some cardio and people watch :) Thanks again for the advice!
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I've just joined a gym and they won't allow you on the equipment (don't give you the key you use) until you have had a 1:1 consultation and induction. It will involve checking my weight and measurements, discussing exactly what I want/need and then tailoring a plan which I'll be taken through step by step - this plan is the reviewed every 3 weeks - they don't charge for this.
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend hiring a good trainer for a few months, or if you have a friend that is knowledgeable about training. While youtube videos and books help show you different exercises, you won't really know if you are doing them correctly without someone there to watch and help as you are doing them.

A good trainer will tailor a program specifically to you and your capabilities (i.e. if you have shoulder problems or knee problems they will adjust). They will give you confidence to not worry about other people, because it will be just you two. They will also help you remain consistent in working towards your goals.

are you kidding me?!?!