Question regarding TDEE and BMR

Options
Alright! So I have been confused because I have been hearing conflicting things.

My goal caloric intake is 1423. This is my TDEE -25%.I only JUST started it at 25%. I was at 20. Anyway, Say that I ate ALL of my 1423. I work out at night 95% of the time and lets say when my workout is done I am down to about 1100 or so. Do I then, eat back my calories to reach 1423 again (net) or do I leave it alone? A lot of times I am at LEAST having a protein shake (I just mix it w/water to get it down) so that I have something to help my muscles/body recover. Can I please get some clarification?

(I am 5' 1" and 131 and 28yo if you need/want to check out the numbers yourself.)

Replies

• tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    On this method, you shouldn't be eating your workout calories back. It sounds like maybe you set your activity level too low? If you workout every night you should probably be at moderately active or higher.

I usually workout days a week right now, so I have mine set to lightly active.
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump so i can see what answers you get
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you do a TDEE minus a certain percent, this already includes your exercise in the calculation. Don't eat back any exercise calories. (TDEE means Total Daily Energy Expenditure and this includes working out).

If you use MFP method, their calorie goal does not include exercise, so you eat them back.
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    On this method, you shouldn't be eating your workout calories back. It sounds like maybe you set your activity level too low? If you workout every night you should probably be at moderately active or higher.

But if you set your activity level to the lowest setting, can't you eat your calories back, since you're not accounting for your workouts?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

But if you set your activity level to the lowest setting, can't you eat your calories back, since you're not accounting for your workouts?

The purpose of TDEE is to figure out what your total energy needs are, including exercise workouts.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I work out at LEAST 3 days a week. No less than that. But not usually any more...only sometimes.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It looks like based on me doing at least 3 days a week...about 4 hours or so a week, I should be eating closer to 1600....
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

If you set your activity level to inactive and workout 6 days a week you should eat your exercise calories back. If you included you exercise when calculating TDEE you don't eat your exercise calories back.