SMOKING

Options
So Last September I quit smoking.
Since then I have gained 20 pounds!
I have realized that I am a stress eater. I eat when I am stressed and don't stop until I feel better.
I need to lose this weight, but I am so close to picking up smoking again! I have had a few ciggs in the past few days, not healthy I know but neither is eating.

I don't know what to do?

I need some ideas I can do to help relieve stress on the spot.

I know going for walks and exercise will help, but I can't do that while I am stressing at work. I can get up and walk around the office, but that just doesn't seem to help much.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have also tried gum, however I don't really like the idea of gum. I hate chewing/smacking on something for 20 minutes and spitting it out, just seems like a waste and doesn't help me in any way.

but anyways any suggestions would be great!

Also add me as a friend!

Thanks!

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You know what to do already. Quit smoking. Track your calories and stick to the deficit. Find something else to do with your hands. You can do it.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i suggest you try something to snack on like healthier food of course. like maybe something that is low on everything that wont hurt to snack on. :) ooooorrrrr maybe a good sandwich or something like veggies and dip. that helps also. just to help keep your from snacking on junk food. which it to healthy food. :) give it a try. hope that helps.
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking AND got married all in two years.. so I gained alot of weight too.. I would say 20 from not smoking and 15 from my marriage :tongue: Everyone told me I would gain when I quit and I didn't believe them. Well I did , and let me tell you something.... the reason I quit was for my husband. He had told me he wouldn't marry a smoker. So I was bound and determined to quit and bag my man haha He has said before after I started gaining weight " I'd rather have an overweight by 20-30 lbs wife than a skinny wife hacking up a lung everyday and being stinky with yellow teeth and possibly dying from lung or throat cancer" That put things in perspective for me. I am now down to what weight I was right before we got married :wink: It just takes time and dedication to lose that weight. Just because you quit smoking and gained weight doesnt mean you have to keep it. You can continue to be a non smoker and lose weight, I did!
  • cupcakecanuck
    Options
    where are you located? I'm from BC Canada and we have a great aromatherapy store called Essences here. A friend gave me a "stress ring" for Christmas from that store as she knew that i was planning to quit smoking. I quit smoking 4 months ago doing the Patch. my hands were kept busy. yes i gained some weight, about 10 pounds but it could have been a lot worse. i could post one to you if you are interested. please, don't start smoking again. my mom passed away from lung cancer 3 years ago and it took me 2 and half years to finally quit/
  • jamiebruton66
    Options
    Please please do not start back smoking. It will just make you feel horrible about yourself and stress you out even more than it already did. I quit smoking for a month and i don't know what happened I was doing so well and now i am right back to smoking a pack a day. I strongly recommend that u don't start back. It's a waste of money, time, energy and will hold you back in life. How can you be an athlete with bad lungs? I am about to quit again so please do this with me..
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I gave up smoking August 2007 and of course I gained a lot of weight, it seems to be obligatory.... I am finally addressing being a fatso and I am sure that I will get to my goal weight. BETTER TO SPEND A TIME FAT WHILST GETTING THE CIGGIES OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM.
    Dont know how you manage to have one or two, I know that I couldnt possibly - I would go back to it and I DO NOT want to, it smells bad, it makes you cough, you have to go outside to imbibe and dont know what your climate is like but that is not always a good thing. I do not want my life to be dictated by an addiction, do you? of course you dont - You wanted to be a non-smoker so realise it!
    I continue to class myself as a smoker who does not smoke bizarre after nearly 3 years maybe but it is a drug with a long term hold on you!!!!! or should I say me!

So when you want a cig, get a glass of water, drink it slowly, breath deeply and try to enjoy that weird anxy feeling in your throat and chest, when that passes smile and know that you arent going to be coughing your guts up in the near future. I also have started cycling which would have been impossible to do whilst smoking so each time I cycle to work or go for a ride I tell myself how lucky I am not to smoke and to be able to breathe deeply and effectively......... but hey beyond that it stinks! good luck
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A smokers body burns 200 calories a day to process the nicotine in their system. The first thing you should do is keep a food diary for 3 or 4 days and see if you can not find 200 cals a day to remove from your diet through empty calories such as soda or canyd. After that contiue the food diary and track your calories just making healthy changes to stay within your calorie range. As for stress: Try a worry stone or stress ball to help with keeping your hands busy, and food or cigs out of them. Also, deep breathing and progressive relaxation. Journaling not only your food but your smoking habits may help. Keep track of when you are tempted to smoke or eat and why, then brainstorm solutions for a better reaction to the stressful event. Good luck!