Couch to 5k

Options
Has anyone used the Couch to 5k app or program? I am starting week two and wondering if it really works or if I'm just wasting my time.

Replies

• BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've completed it once and it really does work. I could not run before I started it and by the end I completed it no problem. I want to start it again.
  • tinysuns
    tinysuns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It worked for me - keep going!
  • kennielod
    kennielod Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ive done it before and its brilliant! normally i start on week 3 or 4 tho as i find the first few too easy
  • asteria82
    asteria82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's a great program! I never ran a day in my life and have now been running for 1 1/2 years thanks to that program! Im training for my third half marathon!
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've completed it once and it really does work. I could not run before I started it and by the end I completed it no problem. I want to start it again.
    What is the benefit to starting again? I have never done it, so any explanation would be great.

Thanks
  • cnotley
    Options
    I am currently using it and it's been working for me. I am basing mine off of time and not off of distance.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It works. When I started, running for 30 seconds was a struggle. Last night I ran for 25 minutes, uninterrupted. I've still got a couple weeks to go in the program. It really does work though.

My advice - don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move on to the next one.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes! It works wonderfully for me. I did it in college and it kick started me into running. Then I got married and let myself go for two years, and now I'm back at it. It's challenging around week 4/5, but it is amazing how your body gets used to running when you train correctly. :drinker:

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've heard it works, but its tough to mentally get past week five. I think if you want it bad enough it will work for you. In basic training in the army they do the same concept during pt to boost your time and endurance.
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It feels so good once you get to week 3 and it gets you to run for 3 minutes straight, and you can do it! :):) keep at it! x
  • RonJr88
    RonJr88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 and I LOVE it so far!!!!:happy:
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    I downloaded on Tuesday to start but then we have hit an "EXTREME COLD ALERT" for the last two days...and will be for the next couple...so I am going to start this next week!

I am committed but NOT THAT COMMITTED! (otherwise I might end up being committed)
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with the program and it really works! I'll be running my first 5k in Feb!
  • BrendaBlis
    Options
    What is the benefit to starting again? I have never done it, so any explanation would be great.

Thanks

I completed treatment for cancer in July, so I'm starting over to get back into shape after a year of h*ll.
  • BrendaBlis
    Options

My advice - don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move on to the next one.

That's exactly what I did.
  • linddavis
    linddavis Posts: 101
    Options
    I used the Jeff Galloway 5k training method which I believe is very similar. His whole thing is run w/o injury.
    Two shorter run/walks during the week, one longer run/walk on the weekend. You should be able to
    talk the whole time you are running. In other words... training runs should be slow!
    Speed it up later. And buy good shoes, no the sale rack at Kohls!! I made that mistake.
    Good luck, takes a few weeks or months to feel like it's working but it does. And you will be SO
    glad in June :)
  • mum1970
    mum1970 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    C25K is pretty popular. I personally get bored with the format though so I use the "Zombies, Run! 5K Trainer". It has a zombie themed storyline that makes it that much more interesting. I am Runner 5!

Here's the link to the app: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • alowry007
    alowry007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I ahve already registered for my first 5k run, which is in May! I will be so happy if I can actually complete it! :)
  • Oneday150
    Oneday150 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I could not run at all before this program and from there I was averaging 35-45 minutes 3 x a week straight running. Now it's been a good 3+ month that I have not run like that so I will be restarting it today. I hope this year I can do the 10K.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It gets a big thumbs up from me. I'm not the fastest thing on legs but endurance wise I went from not being able to run for more than a minute to 3.25 miles so far. One note, where you run makes a difference too. I did the entire program at a school track. Hitting the road for the first time earlier this week took some getting used to, mainly because of the hills. Avoid the treadmill if you can because it's just way easier and doesn't translate over to the outside.