MTHFR- Anyone Else Managing It?

Options
Just curious to meet some others with the MTHFR Gene Mutation. I'd love to hear what steps your taking to get healthier and live more normally.

I got diagnosed in May but find that stupid things can really set me back! I have the strain of the mutation that allows vitamins to be broken down, but not absorbed. Anyone else have that issue? Of course I'd love to hear from people who have the opposite problem too!

Feel free to add me or I'll add you. It's hard for people to understand how frustrating this mutation can be sometimes! :)

Replies

• jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    le sigh :( i know you people exist!
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    I have this; still figuring it out. Not too clear on the best way to manage it. I didn't get a dx from a doctor yet; just reviewed my genetic results from 23andme with a professional from mthfrsupport.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've just found out that I have significant mutations (also through the 23andme route): I am 'Compound Heterozygous'. I'm going to have my homocysteine levels tested soon.
  • country_blood14
    country_blood14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was diagnoised more than 3 years ago! but didnt know if could affect my weight loss! It was a rather new diagnoses at the time, so this information must not have been available!

**off to go google and see what info I can find!!!**
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell the world - I took things into my own hands and started treatment myself, and I feel FANTASTIC! :happy:

Took Methyl B12 on its own for a few days with no problems, then I introduced Methylfolate. The change has been amazing - deep fatigue has melted away and I now feel positive and optimistic (I hadn't realised how low my mood had sunk). I have heard that adverse reactions can happen in the second week of treatment, and I'm very much hoping that isn't the case for me.

I now feel very strongly that everyone should get tested for MTHFR mutations; let's spread the word!