Staying healthy when working in a pub!

larrykins123
larrykins123 Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I find eating well quite easy when I'm at home, but when I'm at work and surrounded buy chips, crisps, rolls and booze I seem to have the will power of a ant and all my hard work seems to go out the window! how do I fight these bloody cravings! drinking water doesn't help, it just makes my locals think I have a problem going to the loo every five mins!!!!

Replies

• gfcyclistjogger
    gfcyclistjogger Posts: 5 Member
    Maybe chop up a bunch of carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers, etc. to munch on. Stay full on other stuff? That's my two cents...
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    From someone who works in a restaurant called the Pancake Place... Take a critical look at your regulars and persuade yourself that you're not going to end up as big as them! I really feel like I'm feeding some people to death sometimes...
  • Sally_92
    Sally_92 Posts: 17
    urgh i have the exact same problem where I work, even worse we don't even have to pay for the food, we get it free, this makes temptation so much harder, if anyone does have some clever suggestions, I'd like to here them too!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    you could bring your own food/snacks to eat and keep a mint or gum in your mouth when you're not eating so you can't nibble.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Allow yourself one chip per hour--that would be about 8 chips, total. Drink plenty of fluids, keep the carrots and veggies on hand, eat grilled meat with herbs, mustard, ketchup (catsup), instead of more fattening condiments. And--as another helper suggested--look at the patrons. Do you want to be their shape or slimmer? You can do this. I have every faith. .
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    It is definitely more difficult when you are working around the temptations you are trying to avoid. I cater so find myself constantly surrounded by food. For me, while it has not been easy, it has been a mindset that I finally reached that allows me to bake and prepare all sorts of goodies without eating them myself. I like the suggestions that have been offered you already regarding keeping healthy snacks handy and using gum also. I would also think you would try to eat a big healthy meal prior to reporting to work, such that hunger is not an issue while working. That is one tool I try to implement when I have a big catering job.
This discussion has been closed.