Am I to fat to ride a bicycle

Options

Replies

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a great way to blast calories. Second buying a higher end bike and getting properly fitted. Wear a helmet too. If you have a smart phone you can use Endomondo, Strava, MapMyRide, etc to keep up with your metrics and post them to your exercise here.

I been cycling for several years now, but a crash last year got me sidetracked. If I can help, please feel free to friend or PM me.
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ahh bike riding is the best! and such a great way to get stronger and more fit! like above posters have mentioned, you might not find any ol' bike does the trick...but you can definitely get a bike to fit you! something to look for specifically is double rimmed wheels. They are built stronger ...not only for heavier weights but for hitting curbs/potholes and such.. even though going to a bike shop might be a bit pricier than picking one up at wal-mart or somewhere like that, it really is worth it. they can make sure you get the right bike and that will make all the difference in the world when it comes to you sticking with it or giving it up. good luck and have fun!!!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You should be fine
    Go to a good bike shop and look into a mountain bike or a hybrid to get started. They are stronger frames and can handle heavier riders

Good luck!!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I was mountain biking at around 250.

Definitely go to a bike shop though. Tell them what riding you want to do. The Surly bikes are great, but you might find something you like even better, or even a better price. But most of all, fitting and setup are really important.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I dont think u are. I want a bike too. I saw one in walmart I wanted. It was up front by the checkouts and marked down, may have been a christmas return. It was sporty and neon green and my mom and I were looking at it like a couple 5 year olds would. So cool! An old guy was looking at us and smirking and kinda laughing but trying not to. I could tell he was trying not to be an asshat but I'm thinking these were things that came to mind:

1. That my mom at 68 looked like a broken hip waiting to happen
    2. That my chubby butt was gonna topple right over on that thing
    3. Really ladies? Neon? How much attention are you looking to get?

*shrugs* I still want it!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    NO. YOU ARE NOT TOO FAT TO RIDE A BICYCLE.

I suggest you got to a bike shop and get a proper bike, though. Those weak Wal Mart specials wont cut it.
  • rolandvarriale
    Options
    The bike you chose looks like a very good choice.

I started riding again when I was around 270 last year and I am about 5'10". I have a trek 1500 with an aluminum frame. About 4000 miles and 50 pounds later my riding is still going strong!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bicycle, some people have claimed being over 240 and riding comfortably on a carbon fiber frame. If you are still worried, rest assured steel will be stronger and more forgiving (in terms of absorbing shock) than carbon or aluminum at a cost of weight. Still a really solid choice if you plan on riding on different types of terrain or want to expand to longer distances later on.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can certainly ride a bike, but like others have said, go to a bike shop to get fitted for one. You would most likely like a 'comfort' bike for now. They have larger seats that are more comfortable and are made for larger riders. Cycling is a great way to get in shape! I ride a 3 wheeled recumbent bike and love it! I don't have to worry about falling over either. lol
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I'd recommend a mountain bike or hybrid bike for starting out. Fatter tyres mean you can get a greater volume of air in them and they will be less likely to pinch flat. Also the lower gearing may be beneficial to start with.

You could go cheap and replace when you've lost some weight (ie sell it and get a proper road bike) or get something with a decent now and chnage it as you progress (ie add higher gears and such as you find it easier for example).

Also recommend a flat-bar for your bike as it'll make breathing and such easier to start with. Having a belly hanging down over the crossbar is pretty suffocating!

Getting abike that fits right is important so try and find a good independant bike shop. They'll advise on upgrading for the future as well.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    My spousal unit is taller and heavier than you and he goes mountain biking. He's been riding the same Giant for over 10 years. You just need to get a good suspension.. depends on if you want to ride on the road or off road.
  • Lizzythecat
    Options
    I'm 300 lbs and regularly cycle. You're certainly not too fat! I would try out different bikes before buying though. I have a Dutch bike which allows me to sit up straight, I find it avoids getting lower back pain. I wouldn't get a mountain bike, they might be sturdy but you kind of lean forward on a mountain bike which places a lot of weight on your wrists and arms, I find that uncomfortable for longer rides but that might just be me.
  • yellowdog52
    Options
    I'm 6'6", 250-260, and spent last year commuting roughly 80-100 miles a week on a Trek 7100. Here's a few things I learned:

1) Guys our weight tend to break the spokes on "normal" bike wheels, especially the back wheel. Be ready to possibly spend extra for a beefier wheel.

2) Be sure you have one of those ergonomic seats, with the gap in the middle so important nerves and arteries aren't smashed.

3) Keep up on the bike maintenance. I'm not handy so I take mine to the bike shop. Guys our size put extra stress on drive train components, so you may have to replace chains / cassettes quicker than usual.

4) Don't rush out and buy the spandex stuff. It is not very flattering for bigger guys. Regular shorts and shirts are just fine. Wear a helmet.

5) You may want to get a bike with a more upright riding position, rather than a mountain or road bike where you're hunched over the bars. Be careful with your back!

Bicycling is low-impact, great exercise, and super fun. Good luck!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You are not too fat to ride a bike
    You are not too fat to run
    You are not too fat to walk
    You are not too fat to swim
    You are not too fat to weight lift

You "maybe" too fat to bungee jump or parachute jump or something but the above things are fine. Just go with your pace, listen to your body, don't push too hard and increase intensity slowly.

Good luck!
  • skotm19
    Options
    Lots of good posts about going to a bike shop to get fitted. A good shop should also allow you to take the bike for a spin in the parking lot to make sure you are comfortable. If you aren't comfortable, then you won't ride as much, or at all. Then not only are you out the money for the bike, but you also miss out on all the fun!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Nope.. not too big. A cross bike is probably a good idea b/c the frame will be more heavy duty, but unless you're planning to jump or really crank on the thing, you can probably do most road bikes as long as they aren't ultra-light. If you're planning to take the Surly on trails, etc, might want to swap for a flat bar... it's more comfortable and easier to see / look around IMO.

A mountain bike or hybrid would do too... depends on your goals and what you want to do with it. If you're going to do mainly level riding, DO NOT get rear suspension. It makes the bike inefficient and makes you work harder (and if you want that, you can go running!).

Good luck. I love bikes!
    Jen
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No one on here was where they wanted to be when they started. Some were and are afraid that they're too big and out of shape to walk into a gym. When I started, I was terrified of walking into a gym, knowing very well that I was weak and out of shape. I sucked it up and went. I managed 10 minutes on an elliptical and some pretty small weights. I'm now in the best shape of my life. Now you're thinking that you're too big to bike. If you can ride it then you should, particularly if its something you want and will enjoy. Get going and kill it!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Definatley not to big.
    As so many people have said go to a bike shop and get fitted. Be willing to pay the extra as the ride comfort is so much better.
    Finally, a big padded seat may not be the answer. Be willing to buy the padded shorts and the seat that the bike store recommends to you.
  • Kowent
    Kowent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what a Surly Cross Check bike is but I will tell you I bought a mountain bike for starters thinking, its sturdy and had fat tires so I'd be okay, but it was hard on my back. So after one month of riding miserably, and some good advice from friends, I learned about comfort bikes, I don't know the technical term. But they are much easier on your back arms wrists and hands. My husband and I both bought a used Diamond Back off Craigs list. Best money I ever spent. I went from not riding for 30+ years to 38+ uphill miles in one summer.
    Good luck and Have Fun. Riding the rails-to-trails in my new favorite pastime.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    All I got is this...

Bicycle races are coming your way
    So forget all your duties oh yeah!
    Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
    So look out for those beauties oh yeah
    On your marks get set go
    Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race
    Bicycle bicycle bicyI want to ride my bicycle
    Bicycle bicycle bicycle
    Bicycle race

and this...

Oh, (i know) you gonna take me home tonight (please)
    Oh, down beside that red firelight
    Oh, you gonna let it all hang out
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round
    GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE!

if they can ride....you can ride....

just ride....get fitted sure....but just ride...
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was 255 last summer when i started riding my hybrid. Built up enough endurance and was doing 25km rides. Mid August bought a road bike and can't wait for this spring to get out and ride. 4 more months...

It's probably the lowest impact sport you could do other than swimming. Easy on the joints and knees, not so easy on the donkey. But trust me, in a few weeks you get used to it.