Calling all Empty Nesters!

Options
I'm trying to eat healthy and stay in my calorie goal. When I cook I cook for me only. My husband doesn't eat veggies or anything healthy. Now on week ends when I make something for me in crock pot I will make him the unhealthy version he likes. But between monday and friday I only cook for myself. I have asked him if he would like to try it, he looks at it and snubs his nose and says "nah". And goes in freezer and eat a frozen meal. My question is, am I being selfish or should I continue doing this way. I like veggies and chicken, so my meals has the right protion of each. I only cook for 2 meals, Dinner and lunch the next day. If you have any success on getting husbands to eat healthier I would love ideas. I bake or crockpot my meals, never battered or fried. I don't want to cook 2 different meals daily. Week ends is enough.
Thanks ,
Viki

Replies

• lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Don't force it. It has to be his decision.
  • NEGU0128
    Options
    Don't buy the frozen meals in the first place. If they aren't there, what else would he eat? Without knowing the whole story it is hard to give you much help. But just not having it in the house will stop that much at least.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My situation went in reverse. I stop eating what she cooked and went my own direction. After she saw my progress she got on board. It has to be his decision but you need to do what you need to do for you to be healthy. If you stick to it he may just come around.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Since my husband doesn't cook and is not planning to learn either, and since I don't keep frozen meals or unhealthy food in the house, he doesn't have a choice. Well, he does: either the meals that I prepare or go hungry.

The only frozen meals that I keep in the house are: frozen veggie burgers, salmon burgers, bean burgers, frozen vegetables, chicken, etc; and everything needs to be cooked, so there you have it.

But I will admit that hubby likes my food and cooking and is not a picky or unhealthy eater.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My husband was a picky eater until he finally had a stroke due to both arteries were blocked 80 & 90% - he had to learn the hard way. He now eats everything I cook - amazed that he likes all the healthy greens I use as well as lamb which he hated as a kid but I have some great easy recipes and he is getting to enjoy it a bit but still doesnt care for it but he is eating so I am happy. We eat lots of skinless turkey and chicken cutlets that I make a lot of different ways and white fish (no shell fish) and no more beef or pork which I admit that I miss a lot - We are both home as we are disabled and both kids have moved out so it is just us - he doesn't cook and because of health reasons I do not have any frozen dinners or processed foods in the house and we read all labels before we purchase something new. He is even eating quinoa, couscous and risotto which I made up my own recipes that mainly consist of sautee onions, garlic, white wine and lemon and then I use Herbox sodium free packets to make up a broth instead of using plain water.

Perhaps you should try and talk him into eating healthier if he wants to be around and be able to enjoy life - as it is for us we cannot get around as much (he is still has facial droop and no strength in his left side as he was paralyzed for quite some time and some cognitive damage as well). Eating healthy is the best medicine and not as costly as some people think - give him a wake up call and hopefully he will change his ways. Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky that my husband likes my healthy cooking and is too lazy to go to the store. He would not eat very healthy if left to his own devices. And he was absolutely clueless about eating healthy when we first got married (shortly after the nest was emptied). He thought it meant eating nothing but steamed or raw veggies and skinless, boneless chicken and fish.
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I stopped buying the frozen meals and only the things I need to make the healthy meals. He now goes to the store and gets want he wants. Because I wasn't getting nor cooking that way. I work in an Italian restaurant and love the food there, but high in calories and fat. I now take my meals and take to work. We work different times of day, so I think it's easier for me to cook this way now, and not having to cook for kids anymore. I don't want him to jump on the wagon with me, but just try the meals I cook. I have found he will eat the crock pot whole chicken I made, but nothing else. I make home made pasta and sauce, but he rather have dried pasta and jar sauce. So I don't know anymore. I lost with him, I think.
    Viki