Still Confused

Options
Ok, so I was successful like 5 years ago on a 1200 calorie diet... I kept it all off until my wedding and some recent medical stuff. Now I'm back and I've been here for a month now. I've seen people for the 1200 a day diet no matter what, people who do 1200 a day plus workout calories, I've seen the Scooby thing but I don't know what to believe! I'm down 5-6lbs this month... We do lots of lean meats and rice and stuff so I don't think it's my diet it's more just I don't know what kind of calorie range to hit in. I've been eating around 1400 a day on average plus my workout calories and to be down 5-6lbs in a month isn't discouraging, i just want to get it right.

I'm 5'6''
161lbs
female
almost 26 years of age
I have a desk job, but I do try to walk or jog or run on the treadmill for at least 20 min every day and I've started back with Zumba classes at least one night a week. At home I also do quite a bit of house work and I do all of the shopping so I'm not completely sedentary.

I guess I'm looking for advice and tips! I do realize that 1200 might be too low, but why? A number of years ago this seemed to be the recommended amount of calories for women to lose weight. What changed?

Replies

• lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've read that, I just still don't get what changed...
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting on and off for ten years, and I haven't seen anything change. Any respectable program has always taken into account that people have different caloric needs that are impacted by things like current weight and age. There's no one size fits all number of calories for women because not every woman is the same. Even for the same person, things change. My needs are different at now that I'm 30 years old and 277 pounds than they were when I was 20 and 185.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options

dont follow anyone calories ur body is diffrent depending on your motablisim now example my bulking calorie intake is 3100-3200 for someone that may be to low or to high.
    if you want to lose weight i tend to lose 1-2 lb a week i played around i found my calorie intake to maintain 2900 and to lose 2700. keep trying to find that number u will find it by experminting
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

dont follow anyone calories ur body is diffrent depending on your motablisim now example my bulking calorie intake is 3100-3200 for someone that may be to low or to high.
    if you want to lose weight i tend to lose 1-2 lb a week i played around i found my calorie intake to maintain 2900 and to lose 2700. keep trying to find that number u will find it by experminting

Thank you, this actually makes sense... I just feel like I've seen a lot of people who bash on people who don't follow the TDEE stuff...
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options

Thank you, this actually makes sense... I just feel like I've seen a lot of people who bash on people who don't follow the TDEE stuff...

keep trying its a waiting game once u find the number life will be much easier good luck
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I think it's a really good starting place. In my experience I would definitely agree that it's a bit of trial and error to find your own sweet spot, and over the years I've tried a wide range of caloric goals. My success number isn't exactly TDEE-20%, but it's pretty darn close. Had I just used that recommendation in the beginning, I probably could have started being successful a lot sooner.