What keeps you focused when you are running?

Options
I'm only on week 1 D 3 of c25k. But I have noticed that when I start I'm doing good and I'm focused. But when I'm little over half way done i start losing my focus. What can I can to stay more focused.

Replies

• palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I find that I do the best when I am completely distracted from the fact that I am running. Watching a movie in the cardio cinema at my gym helps...if you don't have that or run outside try changing up your music or even doing a book on tape if you are into those. Also, because of my love hate relationship with running, I like HIIT (high intensity interval training) beause you are walking for 2-3 mins then booking it for 1-2 mins at a time. If I can count down the time it helps the trainisng session go faster.
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I NEED my music whether it's a short 5 mile run or a half-marathon. My playlist helps me keep pace and allows my mind to not focus on whatever distance I'm going.
  • m1oscar
    m1oscar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am with these other ladies- it is music or bust for me!! Dead ipod = turn around and go home. :) I am always getting new music and also really enjoy podcasts! My treadmill at home has a TV on it and I am known to watch the tv, while listening to music on my ipod while I play words with friends...seriously- anything to distract myself from the fact that I am running- particularly on the really long ones. When I am working on speed, music is even more important. Good Luck and happy running!
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Invest in a watch with a timer on it and, if you run the same or a few different courses throughout the week, pick landmarks along the way, them mark your time. That way you can gauge your improvement and "race" against yourself. Next think you know you will be on your way to burning more calories, getting faster and getting home without being bored :wink:
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about signing up for a 10k . But I'm scared. I'm working on c25k now, I'm not a runner. But 2 years ago I did some 5k in the summer. So if I sign up for a10k and then end up running part of it and having to walk . Will that be a big deal?
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Not a big deal at all! Lots of people walk when necessary and lots of people incorporate planned walk breaks (google "the Galloway method") into races of all distances.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like podrunner.com. They have interval workouts that build you up to a 5k, 8k and 10k.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm only on week 1 D 3 of c25k. But I have noticed that when I start I'm doing good and I'm focused. But when I'm little over half way done i start losing my focus. What can I can to stay more focused.

Start running on a trail at night...that will keep your mind occupied.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    What are you wanting to focus on exactly? I run just to dump all the crap out of my head-"losing" focus is kind of my goal.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    So I have two types of runs.

Type 1) I am actively working to improve something. I am focused on breathing, cadence, foot strike, pace, heart rate (ect)

Type 2) I am just putting on base miles and I run largely on how I feel (eg comfortably hard) in this case my mind tends to just wander. I often mull over a particular issue that is bothering me. Many days I couldn't tell you what the heck I thought about its almost as if I just zoned out completely. I find this type of run to be particularly therapeutic