Calorie Zig-Zag? Protein Shakes?

Options
I've heard of calorie zig-zagging, and I thought I wanted to try it until I calculated how many calories I'm supposed to eat....Well, Here's the problem... I eat too few calories than it wants me too. I can NEVER fill up my calories and not go over on fat and sugar. I have PCOS so sugar levels are a part of me problem with weight loss. I have cut out the major portion of sugar. I know you need some for the body. But I can never get it right with the calories and for the zig-zag diet, you go up and down on calories so you don't plateau. I exercise at LEAST once a day now, so that's not a problem. Any idea of how to lose the weight and still do the zig zag without so many calories? I net between 800-1200 daily. Also thought about getting some protein powder, but I've heard if you're obese, it'll make you gain weight if you're not doing vigorous workouts. Well, I don't do vigorous because I have a disability, but I am working my way up with Leslie Sansone, Low Impact Cardio, and Strength Training. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with any of it! FRUSTRATED, please help! All advice is WELCOME! (Ps. I weight 234..OBESE)

Replies

• HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Is too much fat and sugar bad for your PCOS? I started out about where you are now....just seems like way too few calories to expect any weight loss without making yourself sick in the process and then gain it back....remember that fruit has natural sugars so if you eat fruit, you are going to have high sugar every day....I don't even bother looking at my sugar anymore because of this....but I cut out white sugar completely and anything with excessive sugar....go for fish and poultry for calories and protein....I'd have to see your food diary to really get an idea on what you eat already....don't know about protein shakes making you fatter....I tried them for awhile and didn't have any gain on them when I was obese....
  • SkinnyCapricorn82
    Options
    There is lots of types of protein powders...I was 217 and I was using powder and making shakes. If you hit a GNC or another type of vitamin/health store the people there can help you out. I use protein powder bc like you, I have a hard time reaching even my minimum calorie goal and I need the extra protein myself. There is a thread about how to set all your numbers....it's called 'roadmap' something but the link is all over the place...lol. Don't worry about zig zagging right now though...that is difficult to do when you are already not making your net goal of calories and when you are just starting out. Once you get your numbers (using the roadmap thing...spells everything out :) ). And you are moving...doesn't matter what you are doing or your intensity level the fact is that you are taking care of yourself and it will get easier...my heaviest was 270...it takes time as your body needs to adjust to being more healthy. Feel free to add me as a buddy if you like as well...you can do this. :)
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's my insulin levels that are off. My Dr told me it goes way up and way down and there's no constant level. That's why she put me on Metformin and low and behold I got pregnant. (She didn't tell me she was doing that to help me get pregnant...SO...lol) But since I've had my baby, I haven't been back on it because I don't want to go on any more meds. I started taking something for my IBS, but I haven't taken it like I should because I've been told it's my weight causing the stomach pains and all, and it was! I haven't had stomach problems since I started eating better about 20 days ago! Someone told me that not to worry about sugar in fruit. When I first started I didn't know that. lol. But now I don't worry about the natural sugars. It's the empty calories and sugar you gotta watch for. I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about it. The way I understand is that with the protein shakes, it gives you more energy to do more exercise and fills in calories without going way over on everything else. I think I'll push off the zig zag for now because it does make sense about the calories. Thanks for helping!

Is too much fat and sugar bad for your PCOS? I started out about where you are now....just seems like way too few calories to expect any weight loss without making yourself sick in the process and then gain it back....remember that fruit has natural sugars so if you eat fruit, you are going to have high sugar every day....I don't even bother looking at my sugar anymore because of this....but I cut out white sugar completely and anything with excessive sugar....go for fish and poultry for calories and protein....I'd have to see your food diary to really get an idea on what you eat already....don't know about protein shakes making you fatter....I tried them for awhile and didn't have any gain on them when I was obese....
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am trying so hard to lose the weight. I exercise twice a day and strength train between and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. Someone told me about Body Fortress Whey Protein and I have thought about getting a jug of it, just been afraid to gain. But I guess it can't hurt to try. Only be out $15. The GNC is too expensive for me to just try. lol. I'll check into that roadmap thing. Thanks for the help!

There is lots of types of protein powders...I was 217 and I was using powder and making shakes. If you hit a GNC or another type of vitamin/health store the people there can help you out. I use protein powder bc like you, I have a hard time reaching even my minimum calorie goal and I need the extra protein myself. There is a thread about how to set all your numbers....it's called 'roadmap' something but the link is all over the place...lol. Don't worry about zig zagging right now though...that is difficult to do when you are already not making your net goal of calories and when you are just starting out. Once you get your numbers (using the roadmap thing...spells everything out :) ). And you are moving...doesn't matter what you are doing or your intensity level the fact is that you are taking care of yourself and it will get easier...my heaviest was 270...it takes time as your body needs to adjust to being more healthy. Feel free to add me as a buddy if you like as well...you can do this. :)