Does draining the juice or gravy help?

Options
Greetings everyone! What a great community. My question relates to eating canned fruit or in the rare instance, Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I first drain out the juice in the can of fruit or separate the gravy from the solids before eating. Does this impact the calorie count for that particular meal? I would have to imagine is does to some degree but I'm not sure to what level. What does the group think? Do you reduce the calorie for that food if you drain (don't consume) the juice or gravy?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Do you think it will change the calories enough to interfere with your long term goals?
  • kyshaws
    kyshaws Posts: 13
    Options
    That would be the question I'm asking. I don't think that it would but if the calories are based on the juice that is surrounding the fruit or if the calories are based on the gravy AND the solids, then 10% in reduction here and there could be a big difference. I yielded on the side of caution and don't think it will make much difference and have calculated my calories accordingly. Still thought I would bring it up and see what others thought. Thanks!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The calories will be less but how much less would depend on what you're talking about. Drain the water off canned green beans and there will be little difference but drain the gravy off of stew would be more. If you have to eat those types of food, just go by serving size on the label and count all the calories.
  • kyshaws
    kyshaws Posts: 13
    Options
    Perfect. Works for me. Thanks everyone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In the stew, I doubt it will make much difference. It could make a significant difference in the fruit though, since they are usually packed in some type of sugar (either syrup or fruit juice).