Subway confusion

Options
Hi everyone. Last week I ordered a 6" roasted chicken breast on flat-bread and I referenced Subway's site to calculate the calories. For the purpose of this question, I'm ignoring the sides and focusing on the chicken breast (320 calories) and flat-bread (220 calories), which should be 540 calories. Today I ordered the roasted chicken salad and referenced Subway's site and see 140 calories.

Here is the confusion. Am I supposed to add 320 calories to the chicken salad (320 calories being the amount listed for an oven roasted chicken breast)? If that's the case, why would there be so many different salad options already configured on the site with different calorie totals (ham, turkey, etc)? I'm trying to determine whether I ate 140 calories today (roasted chicken salad) or 460. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    According to their site the salad with chicken is 140 calories.
  • kyshaws
    kyshaws Posts: 13
    Options
    OK. So if the salad is 140, why would the roasted chicken breast under sandwiches be 320? The sandwiches portion doesn't include bread; that has to be added.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It includes bread (the 320 calories), but only white and wheat. The other breads have different calorie totals and need to be calculated appropriately.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches include wheat or white bread in the calorie counts.
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The sandwich portion includes bread. Wheat. Add more for different breads or flatbread, I think.

From Subway's site (the fine print at the bottom):
    "Sandwich nutrition values include 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cucumbers. Values do not include cheese unless noted.

Salads contain meat/poultry, standard vegetables and do not include salad-dressing or croutons.

Addition of other condiments and fixings will alter nutrition values."
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There sandwiches DO include the bread...I think the default is Italian but you can choose another option if you get it on a bread that is higher calorie such as that rosemary parm one.
    Companies cannot outright lie about how many calories are in things. It's illegal. They can try and "tricK" you a bit with portion sizes and there is human error (like putting on extra meat or mayo or something) but a company cannot say something with 500 calories has 300.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    OK. So if the salad is 140, why would the roasted chicken breast under sandwiches be 320? The sandwiches portion doesn't include bread; that has to be added.

maybe there's more chicken on the sandwich than in the salad?
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    In really tiny print on the bottom of their nutritional page it says: Sandwich nutrition values include 9 grain wheat bread, lettuce, onions, green peppers and cucumbers. Values do not include cheese unless noted. Maybe that's why? It seems one of the breads is already included in the sandwich menu.
  • kyshaws
    kyshaws Posts: 13
    Options
    Oh WOW!! Good catch everyone. My apologies for not reading that closer. :happy:

That changes things a little bit. I appreciate everyone's help!!
  • DLondergan
    DLondergan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last few posts; I think you over estimated the first time. Relook at the site. You can select an oven roasted chicken breast sandwich, which includes 9 grain bread, no cheese, and a few veggie toppings for the 320 calories. It will then let you customize for what you got. If you only change to flatbread, it's still 320. You should not have added the 220 for the flatbread the first time.