Clothing annoyances

Is it just me, or is there anyone else out there that hates the way clothing sizes fluctuate? I bought a pair of jeans not too long ago that were a size 14. I just went back to the same department store yesterday to get some capris for the nice weather and the size that fit me was an 18W... that's a BIG difference! I guess the shorts and capris are cut differently because the shorts were the same way. The other funny part is that I bought a pair of capris last year from the same brand that are a size 12 (they still fit me). Weird and annoying! Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    YES!! I have had the same problem. I used to be an 18, a normal 18!! lol But I had some 16's and even some 14's that fit!! From the same store. Now I am a "normal 14" and the old 14's that used to fit fall off of me of course! I am almost in a 12 but everything I have in a 12 is a little too tight except for one pair of 12's that fit great!! I don't get it either, so I guess I will always have to try on clothes when I go shopping, even though I hate going in the dressing rooms!
  • Nocobwebs
    Nocobwebs Posts: 3 Member
    Yes! It's incredibly annoying! I've also noticed that sometimes when you buy a tshirt in a shop and then want it in another colour there is a size difference. If you look at the lable it's usually because it's been made in a different country. Very frustrating. I'm also convinced that some shops size smaller so they can advertise that they carry larger sizes. I don't see how it can be so difficult to standarise sizing but there you go. :-(
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    That bugs me too.
    I'm wearing clothes right now that vary from 16 to 24! I have a few blouses that still don't fit that are size 20. :grumble:
    I have old clothes in my closet that didn't fit for a long time so I'm recycling them, trying to wear them out until I reach my goal & can buy new stuff.
    It's annoying.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    I was a plus size fit model for 4 years. I can tell you different manufacturers have different scales for plus size. In Ralph Lauren jeans I fit a 14 but for Gap I fit a 16.
    Manufacturers use a base size, the minimum size for that size group (misses, petite, women's, women's petite, etc). After they fit the top or pant to that base size, they scale up or down the item to the other sizes. They do not fit a size 16 pant to a size 16 model. They take a size 14 pant and add a few inches here and there to make it a size 16 or scale down to make it a size 12.
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Yes, I am annoyed at that, too. It is discouraging to think you are going to celebrate a weight loss with a new pair of pants, only to find that the new pair is the next size up from the ones you just tossed on the "too big" pile. What I really hate, though, is buying a pair of pants that fit beautifully in the dressing room and after wearing them for a few hours they stretch out and get baggy.
  • nleosh
    nleosh Posts: 8
    When I was in high school, I weighed approx 150# and wore a size 16 because I had a 28" waist. Today, a 28" waist is a size 12. I've also learned that the more I pay for a piece of clothing, the larger the dimensions are on the piece. Does that mean that rich people are more trim than someone who can't afford the more generous size? I learned a long time ago not to get hung up on clothing sizes. No one has to know "what size" I wear except me!! It's all about the fit and how well I look in the clothes. It's a crazy world we live in... no reason to add to our stress by measuring ourselves with a clothing size. Good luck to you in your shopping adventures. I'll bet you look great!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Here is another annoyance. Sizing has CHANGED over the years. In April 2009 when I joined MFP and weighed at my highest, I was wearing a 24W pant or jean. Now that I am completely out of plus sizes, I have purchased several size 16's (misses) and even have a pair of 14's that fit, but Alfred Dunner always runs large, expecially if it is an elastic waist pant.

Anyway, I ran across a box of pants in my storage unit, and I was going to toss them, because they all said 18 (misses). Good thing I tried them on--EVERY ONE of them is TOO SMALL.:noway: They are from probably 25 - 30 years ago, and I can barely pull them halfway up my thighs right now!! :grumble: Talk about a change in sizing!!!

Shoes are the same way. I can fit into shoes I have had for many years that say 8 1/2 (US) and now almost every shoe I buy is a 9 1/2--and this is a real pain, because the idiots who make shoes often don't MAKE a 9 1/2, they jump from 9 to 10 and anyone inbetween can go barefoot, I guess!!:angry:
  • paige2010
    paige2010 Posts: 29 Member
    UGH i hate clothing shops sizes!!! apparently I am a size 18 at the hips, but my legs a 10-12 and my waist and chester 8-10?!?! It's ridiculous!! I have given up buying trousers i just can't get anything to fit!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,556 Member
    Why can't women's clothes be sized in inches like men's are?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Men's sizes make so much more sense....inches around/inches down.......

I wear a 5 in general, but I have jeans that are a 7 and tight, AND I have jeans that are a 2 and FIT!
    Tell me HOW I am more comfortable in the Old Navy size 2 than in the Angels Jeans size 7?
    Makes no sense at all I tell ya!!!! :noway: :grumble: :noway: