Working out. ...and gaining weight.

Options
So, I've been seriously working out the last two weeks, and during that time the scale has gone up, even though I'm staying within my calories (the same calories that, the weeks before I started working out a lot, had me losing several pounds per week), and eating healthy - high fiber, not a lot of processed foods, fruits, veggies, drinking lots of water, etc, I'm gaining, and it's super frustrating. I know 'they' say this is common, retaining water, gaining muscle faster than losing fat, etc, but, hell, there has to be something I can do, right? Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, too!! What I try to remember is that working out is great for my body and that regardless of what the scale says, my body is going to look better. I mean, how could it not?! Usually after a couple of weeks that initial weight goes away and I start seeing losses again! Hang in there!! Working out (for me) is essential to good health and weight loss so just know that the scale is not really a great indicator of general health or fitness!! Also make sure to drink a lot of water! It helps with muscle tissue repair :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating a ton... it's water weight

As far as what you can do, put the scale away
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    there has to be something I can do, right? Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

The gain is temporary (assuming you're keeping an accurate log).

Keep logging here (and staying at your recommended NET intake), keep working out, and the scale will start moving in the right direction again.

Also, if not already, you should take your measurements and use those as another way to gauge your progress.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, too!! What I try to remember is that working out is great for my body and that regardless of what the scale says, my body is going to look better. I mean, how could it not?! Usually after a couple of weeks that initial weight goes away and I start seeing losses again! Hang in there!! Working out (for me) is essential to good health and weight loss so just know that the scale is not really a great indicator of general health or fitness!! Also make sure to drink a lot of water! It helps with muscle tissue repair :)

Perfect!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    All other things being accounted for, you are most likely retaining water. (Sorry, I know you said that.) My weight sometimes goes up 5 lbs when I start a new routine. Take your measurements and use them as a way to track your progress, just like you do with your scale. I haven't lost a single pound in months but I've lost several inches.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    So, I've been seriously working out the last two weeks, and during that time the scale has gone up, even though I'm staying within my calories (the same calories that, the weeks before I started working out a lot, had me losing several pounds per week), and eating healthy - high fiber, not a lot of processed foods, fruits, veggies, drinking lots of water, etc, I'm gaining, and it's super frustrating. I know 'they' say this is common, retaining water, gaining muscle faster than losing fat, etc, but, hell, there has to be something I can do, right? Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Use calipers and a measuring tape, toss the scale. If the body fat percentage and measuring tapes are going down, you are losing fat and building muscle, which is all good not bad.

I know I will get to this point eventually, when I am looking to lose the last pounds. If you have a lot of weight to lose, the scale is useful... if you don't have much, its not nearly as useful as tape measurements and body fat percentages.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    water weight. as you start a new workout program, your muscle happens to hold onto water
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

^^ Well said. The scale is such a frienemy. :wink:
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nailed it...

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How much weight are we talking here? Over how long a period of time? How long have you been working out? To what intensity? Are you switching things out?

Really, you would have to be going well beyond your maintenance calories for it to be fat weight. It's pretty much math...no, it is in fact math...1 Lb = 3,500 calories...to lose a Lb a week you consume 3,500 calories below maintenance in a week...to gain 1 Lb in a week, you have to consume 3,500 calories in excess of maintenance for that to be fat.

Starting a new exercise routine, particularly if you are relatively unfit and haven't done a whole lot will cause your muscles to retain a lot of water to aid in repair. This lessens over time as your muscles become more accustomed the routine and don't require as much for repair...then when you up the intensity, they will retain water again (but not usually to the same degree as the novice).

If you are at all sore, you are retaining water...if your diet is particularly high in sodium, you are retaining water...if you are also low on potassium and higher on sodium, you are retaining water...if you're not drinking enough water, you're retaining water. When you exercise, it is very important to get your water...and more than the 8 cups really. This helps to flush out all kinds of impurities and will aid in muscle repair.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This is so reassuring. I'm in a similar boat to OP- I eat 1400 a day, recently increased the intensity on my workouts after surgery 5 weeks ago, try to eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I stayed at the same weight for 3 days, now I'm 4lbs up. It has to be water, right? There's other other logical explanation, yet I still feel like I'm doing something wrong.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am MAJORLY sore. ...intensely sore leg muscles, shin splints, blisters, sore back, sore arms, etc. Not all at once, but the leg stuff has been pretty intense since Saturday when I went for my first jog in some time. I'm doing boxing as well, which accounts for the arms in back, but that's not nearly as bad as the leg stuff has been from long intense walks and jogging. Thanks for the input guys. I am staying under my calories (and making healthy food choices), so I know it's not because of what I'm eating, and I've been drinking more water than usual, but perhaps it's not enough. I think I've only been getting between 6-8 cups a day in. ...which is waaaaay more than I was getting a month or so ago, but still. I'll work on more water. Do you think I need to give myself a rest day? I worked out Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and I was planning on working out again today. I just don't want to get off track and stop working out all together, as I have a habit of doing that. Though truth be told, I think this is the first time I've ever exercised AND ate healthy at the same time - usually it's an either/or proposition for me.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I am MAJORLY sore. ...intensely sore leg muscles, shin splints, blisters, sore back, sore arms, etc. Not all at once, but the leg stuff has been pretty intense since Saturday when I went for my first jog in some time. I'm doing boxing as well, which accounts for the arms in back, but that's not nearly as bad as the leg stuff has been from long intense walks and jogging. Thanks for the input guys. I am staying under my calories (and making healthy food choices), so I know it's not because of what I'm eating, and I've been drinking more water than usual, but perhaps it's not enough. I think I've only been getting between 6-8 cups a day in. ...which is waaaaay more than I was getting a month or so ago, but still. I'll work on more water. Do you think I need to give myself a rest day? I worked out Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and I was planning on working out again today. I just don't want to get off track and stop working out all together, as I have a habit of doing that. Though truth be told, I think this is the first time I've ever exercised AND ate healthy at the same time - usually it's an either/or proposition for me.

If you need to give yourself a break, do a light cardio day on the day off. I do that sometimes as well to stay in the habit but give the body a break. I also mind my calories a lot stricter on those days.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

If you have all those problems then yes rest. Doing too much too fast will get your hurt. Start slow and work your way up. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Exactly! focus on how you feel and how your body is changing not the number! If you're working as hard as you say, the results will show!
  • deniseandjelich
    deniseandjelich Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I lost 10lbs fast from October through December. I started the 30 day shred and gained a lb a week, 3lbs then this week i lost it all and an extra 1 lb overnight. However, my clothes are a lot baggier and i can tell i have leaned up a lot! Try not to focus on the weight and more on the inches. Hope this helps :)
  • Mettalmann
    Options
    We all suffer from the endless work and no weight loss progress. As others have stated, stay postive and undertand your body is getting getting into shape and the weight will come off eventually.
  • insanetrainer
    Options
    Your scale is not an indicator of how fit you are. You'll drive yourself INSANE trying to make the numbers on the scale say what you want. Instead of paying attention to the number on the scale, take an honest look at yourself in the mirror and decide if what you're doing is working. Outside of combat athletes, no one REALLY needs to be an exact weight all of the time. Don't let the scale tell you that you're doing something wrong when you're not. If you're concerned about whether or not you are doing this the right way, have a trainer at your local gym check your body fat percentage periodically. As long as that number continues to drop you're fine :smile:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Everything RunDoozer said, I agree with.

If you are eating at a deficit, you did not gain muscle OR fat, so, in all likelihood, water is the culprit . I would also recommend putting the scale away for a while. Even people who know the basic facts about weight-loss seem to have a mental block when it comes to the scale. We do the right things for a while, even step up our game a bit, and if we don't see scale results very soon, we think we're doing something wrong. And everyone says "but the scale keeps me on track!" What doesn't keep you on track is the endless frustration you feel when the scale doesn't say what you think it should say. You can eliminate that right away by not weighing as often. If you are sure you are eating at a deficit, then you can be sure you are losing weight.

Stepping up the intensity of your workouts puts added stress on your body. Sometimes your body will adapt to the stress and improve; but when it causes pain, when it causes you to dread training, when it causes you to feel badly about yourself, something is not working. Take a rest day (or two), re-evaluate, and remember that recovery is more than half the equation.

And finally, if you continue this routine for another couple of weeks and find that you aren't losing weight, you might want to take a look at your tracking habits and make sure that what you log (for both intake and calories burned) is as accurate as possible. SideSteel started a great thread about this on the Eat, Train, Progress group board called "You're probably eating more than you think." In it, he discusses how easy it is to eat at or above maintenance without even realizing it, simply because you are leaving small things out of your diary, like coffee creamer, condiments, a daily trip or two to the office candy dish, etc., or because you are overestimating calories burned through exercise. Especially for women, who typically have less room for error in their energy balance, a few daily logging mistakes can easily cost you a few pounds in a month's time.
  • majorcrimesd
    majorcrimesd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's the short version...muscle weighs more than fat does.

Its OK to keep the scale, but the scale lies when it comes to people who are using progressive resistance as a big part of their fitness plan. As you progress and your muscles become more conditioned and fuller, the scale numbers will either go up and your fat go down {this is the ultimate goal} or, if you are maintaining your caloric intake, the numbers on the scale will go up. And none of this means big increases in numbers. If that's the case your just plain eating too much.

We are talking about very small increases of a pund, or two.

The mirror is the best scale along with how those jeans fit around the waist.