Cancelled gym membership = step forward!!

Options
I have just fired off an email cancelling my gym membership....WOOP!!! It feels good!! It's taken me sooooo long! Because, I've realised, I am not really a gym person. Not regularly enough to justify £42 a month. I have paid this silly amount for about 8 years!! (= over £4,000!!).

There have been long periods when I got caught up with being a work-a-holic when I didn't set foot in that place for 6 months. So that six monthly visit cost me about £250!! But I really couldn't bring myself to cancel. It felt like a step backwards. I would get into it ONE DAY.

It's a fancy one with a pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. I do like to have a relax in these kind of places. But more so in a spa outside my home town. I enjoy a swim at my gym but being overweight I wouldn't lounge around in the jacuzzi there in case an old flame saw me!!

I am into exercise now I've joined MFP, but I've realised I stick to it more when it's a quick 20-30 min DVD at home each day (e.g. got a bunch of the Jillian Michaels DVDs). I also walk my dogs each day. I enjoyed joining a weekly netball group last year so plan to rejoin that too. I only go to my gym for a gym session or a swim about every other weekend and I do plan to start getting into weight lifting. I can do this at a cheaper pay as you go leisure centre. I'm not a big runner, but have the odd go at couch 2 5K so there's that I can get into too.

This is good thing, right???! Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• x0emz0x
    x0emz0x Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I definately agree with the gym membership thing. My membership ends in September and I will be cancelling it. I don't drive anymore so I find it hard to get there as it would take me around 45mins to walk, which is enough exercise on its own! Lol.

I enjoy doing my exercises at home, and I will be buying some heavier weights on Monday to start some heavy lifting at home :)
  • Christabiss
    Options
    YES! EXACTLY same boat. I just cancelled my membership today, too. The amount I was paying compared to the time I was going really wasn't worth it. Doing work-out DVDs at home seems to be working for me. I've found that I need to do a specific program however, otherwise I don't stick with it. I started with JM 30 Day Shred. Now working on Insanity. If I keep following these "programs" I don't think I'll ever need to go back to a gym.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo, it's quite liberating isn't it?! I've not tried Insanity, it sounds intense! Got 4 JM DVDs to work through first. With work life and all I think an easy accessible DVD is a good idea for a lot of people. I do want to do something socialable though so looking forward to starting netball up again, the hour goes so fast and it's way more fun than the gym!
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm moving into my own place this weekend and i'll be cancelling my gym membership as well. I've saved up some money for a set of weights. I don't even have a couch to put in the house yet :p Who needs one of those?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Love my gym membership.

This thread needed some of that.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to stay fit and maintain muscle.