Women who are broad shouldered...

Options
2»

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I like my broad shoulders. I just do basics, like, assisted bar-dips, shoulder press, shoulder flies, pulley rows...
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    embrace your body structure and roll with it.

I agree. I have broad shoulders and a big rib cage and I like them like that. I have a lot of lean body mass for my height and that makes me stronger :)

I totally agree! I love my broad shoulders. I've heard many times in my life, "You are oddly strong for a girl." This may not make me a meek and delicate flower, but neither does my personality.

Also, even though I'm still overweight (workin on that) I carry it better than someone my height normally would.

Embrace it!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I also have broad shoulders and a wider rib cage, just due to bone structure. I just finished reading the New Rules of Lifting for Woman, and the author says that with following the diet plan and workout structure you should end up with a smaller waist and your shirts will fit tighter around the arms and shoulders.... which is not what I want, at all. So I'm thinking I should avoid any type of heavy lifting with shoulders/upper back? I'd like to try the plan in the book but this is making me hesitent.

I'm almost done with New Rules -- starting Stage 6 last week. I have lost 20 lbs so far (combo of lifting and eating at a deficit). My shirts are looser; not tighter. I assume what is stated in the book is based on someone who's not overweight. Do not let that deter you from starting this awesome program! I have linebacker shoulders, so the OP's post hits home. But I know now that once the fat is gone, my shoulders'll look awesome. getting there slowly...
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have wide shoulders and love them. They balance out my lower half.

That being said, I noticed when I started strength training my shoulders became more defined and less bulky/"manly." So embrace your shoulders, work em out!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Lora - most women who think they are "broad-shouldered" aren't as broad as they'd predict....you just have layers of fat covering up your muscle. Lift heavy weights, lose the fat, and you'll see more of an hourglass shape appear.
    Agreed!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I'm fairly broad shouldered for a woman, I do not shy away from shoulder exercises.
    I am doing P90X2 right now, my shoulders look more defined, not larger per se.
  • deerae2222
    Options
    I can't figure out whether I am an hourglass with broad shoulders or an inverted triangle :S

My measurements are 39-30-40 but my shoulders are 42...I have issues dressing this!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Lora - most women who think they are "broad-shouldered" aren't as broad as they'd predict....you just have layers of fat covering up your muscle. Lift heavy weights, lose the fat, and you'll see more of an hourglass shape appear.
    Agreed!

considering I have broad shoulders and 22% body fat and can see definition in my arms and shoulders, that's not going to happen to me... (43" shoulder circumference)

.....though I like my broad shoulders so it doesn't bother me. I do lots of shoulder exercises.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out whether I am an hourglass with broad shoulders or an inverted triangle :S

My measurements are 39-30-40 but my shoulders are 42...I have issues dressing this!

looking at your pic I'd say you're an hourglass. Your hips balance your shoulders and you have a nice waist. That would make you an hourglass. broad shoulders and broad hips (as in the actual bones) = large frame. hourglass etc is about proportion and overall shape.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I love my broad shoulders and was complimented on them a lot as a young girl--they're one of my favourite body parts!

I do lots of shoulder work--I train with kettlebells. My workouts with kettlebells typically consist of just the following exercises: clean and press ladders, snatches and/or swings, and turkish get ups. A couple times a week I do something else--leg stuff, for instance, or a vo2 max workout. I also do a full body strength building program a couple times a week (big compound lifts), and some bodyweight stuff as warm up, and sometimes even in between sets of KB and barbell exercises.
  • aviatrix600
    aviatrix600 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    glad i'm not the only one with broad shoulders. if i had actual hip width i'd feel better, but instead i just look like a V. i'm gonna keep lifting though, and regardless of what happens in the northern hemisphere, i'm gonna love it..cause hey, at least i'm alive and kickin.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have broad shoulders, but they are also extremely weak, so I do normal exercises like overhead press, lateral raises, front raises...

I will be very happy to be able to do things with my arms over my head, no matter what size my shoulders end up being.