Splenda

Options
Is splenda and other artificial sweetners actually bad for you?

Replies

• koonshi9
    koonshi9 Posts: 30
    Options
    Is splenda and other artificial sweetners actually bad for you?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    opinions vary......

You'll find some who will insist very passionately that it's poison and others who just as passionately disagree. FDA says that they are safe and all of the research I've found that can be backed by people or institutions with solid credentials say that it is safe. At the same time, it is artificial and your body does not know how to process it. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that says it contributes to weight gain or to various health issues.

You're going to have to decide on your own based on your personal beliefs. In my opinion, like everything else.....moderation is the key.
  • AlliOops
    AlliOops Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am also concerned about the Splenda and other artificial sweetner debate. I also wish that all of the tasty diet food and recipes didn't use so much of these sweetners.

Sometimes, i just go for the real sugar in my coffee. At least I know its natural and in moderation, it isn't THAT many calories.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Considering all the other junk we inhale from food...I'd say it's safe.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I am also on the fence about artificial sweetners... so I just always go with "Moderation is Key" theory.

I only use it when I have to... like in my coffee or if I want a crystal light packet, etc.:laugh:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    just an opinion, i ingested splenda for the first time the other day... and within the hour i had my first EVER migraine headache...so thats my 2¢ when it comes to splenda, i will never eat it agian
  • bnoack83
    bnoack83 Posts: 11
    Options
    i heard splenda and other sweetners actually make you hungrier, now i dont know if that is true or not... but i try to use honey as much as possible.. what were you gonna put it on?
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I definitely think natural is better... I eat too many sweets though... I have most certainly cut back on artificial sweetners for sure. I probably only have two packets of splenda a day... occasionally (about once a week on average) I will have a crystal light packet or a diet mountain dew (both contain artificial sweetner)... i never have all these in one day though.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    just an opinion, i ingested splenda for the first time the other day... and within the hour i had my first EVER migraine headache...so thats my 2¢ when it comes to splenda, i will never eat it agian

Some people are allergic to artificial sweetners and migraines are the result. So, now you know - you are prob. allergic.

As far as the sweetner questions, they are now advertising that diet coke makes you fat so.. obviously a new study on the weight loss/gain concerning diet cola.

personally, it is artifical... so, do you want that in your body? Problem I have read, it is stored in your fat cells and when you lose weight it releases the toxins stored so bad shock for the body-many people worry about that.
  • koonshi9
    koonshi9 Posts: 30
    Options
    Ok well i use splenda on cereal and in my coffee so thanks for the input