20lbs to lose in 4 months, is this possible?

Options
CW: 139lbs
Height: 5'6
GW: 119

Ok so i need to lose 20lbs, I consume between 1200-1600 calories per day and go to the gym 3/4 times a week where i do 30-40 mins cardio and 20mins lifting.

I have a very flabby belly (no children)

Is it possbile that I will lose these 20lbs by the end of May and will my big stomach go?

Any advise or tips would be appreciated :)

Replies

• jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That's about 1.25 lbs lost a week, which I suppose in theory is doable, but I suspect it will take a ton of dedication and hard work. I am no expert or anything, though.

Edit to say that you can't really loose fat in a specific spot, like your tummy, though. Why do you need to lose 20 lbs by then? If you just want to look good for some event, no one is going to know the difference between 10 and 20 lbs, especially if you buy a hot dress...
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal, but I'm 5'6" going from 150 to 130. 119 is pretty light, maybe you should work on building some muscle to and sticking with a little heavier, maybe 125? Either way, it should be possible and if you have to get down to 119, you will. I have to get down to 130, so friend me and we can try to motivate each other.
  • ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, I need to lose a minimum of 20lbs by the end of may as well....Good luck! Maybe we should be friends so we can track each others progress....
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Since you are already relatively small to begin with it is going to be extremely tough to get down to your low goal weight in four months. Your goal weight will also put you most likely below a healthy weight for your height.

WHy do you have a goal so low? I would imagine your problem with your body is most likely due to higher body fat %.... to fix that you need to build muscle which will burn the body fat.

With your weight already being in the healthy range and you trying to get down so low I doubt you will be able to reach that goal in four months... your body simply won't want to let go of the weight.
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is a good pace and totally doable!!! I lost 9 lbs this month doing the about same calorie intake and exercising 4-5 times a week. Don't forget to drink lots of water! You should also add in some ab work and/or core exercises too if you're trying to tone the belly area!

I am an apple shape and trying to shrink my middle as well!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 as well
    and I weight about 130lbs.
    I waver a lot in my good eat and exercise.
    But you will not be classified as under weight at this height to ABOUT 113lbs.
    I eat roughly 1200cals and try to exercise about 7 days a week but it doesn't always happen.
    Add me!
  • ssc85
    ssc85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. I've lost a little over 15 lbs in the past 3 weeks. Now before people start getting all bent out of shape.... I did it by eating Paleo. No grains, sugar, iodized salt, processed foods, etc.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    By your stats it doesn't seem like you are carrying a lot of extra weight on you. Maybe you should switch around your cardio and lifting. Do 20 mins of higher intensity cardio then spend most of your time lifting. And by lifting I don't mean with 5 lbs weights, I mean LIFTING! Check out some heavy lifting results forums on this site. The results are amazing and the transformation in these women's bodies are frickin fantastic. They have totally inspired me to take it up myself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/812464-show-me-ur-heavy-lifting-results-please?hl=women's+heavy+lifting+pics&page=5#posts-12169161
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Do you lift? If not, you should. Also I've read that guts are mainly diet, so you gotta eat better if you want to lose it.