Do you 'under'estimate calories burned?

Options
kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
I'm currently walking for 30 minutes (last night 45!!) at 3.4/3.5 miles per hour. The walking on here I've found is at 3 or 4 MPH. I've been rounding 'down' to 3MPH. I keep my calories high enough that my net calories is never lower than 1200 (my goal without exercise is around 1350, I think). My 'slow' walking, like wandering around the mall or stores, I track at the lowest level, and cut it the time in half, since I'm stopping and going.

Do others do that? When I get up to 4 MPH, I will of course, move it up to 4MPH to get actual calories burned.

Thanks.
Chris

Replies

• kristinmomof3
    Options
    I think the best way to accurately track your calories is with a heart rate monitor. Get one that gives you your calories burned based on your age, height, weight, and heart rate throughout the exercise. It is a great investment!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    yes until I can afford a good HRM I usually under estimate my calories burned, I'd rather be under then over :) Sounds like what your doing is fine. Keep up the good work
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    how big is the calorie difference between 3 and 4 mph? you could look at both and then manually enter a number halfway between the two. I do tend to err on the conservative side with exercise in general, either entering it on the lower end of the numbers or not eating back all the calories.
    if you're super worried, there's always the heart rate monitor option =)
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I use a Heart Rate Monitor to track my calories burned and I believe that it is more accurate that MFP.. MFP is usually higher in burned cals.. Which really bummed me out at first, but now that I have been getting accurate info, it's been eye opening. When jogging MFP is usually 100+ cals over what my HRM says..

I would suggest getting an HRM if you are really concerned.. I have noticed that mine will push me a lil harder because when I notice my heart rate coming down, I start pushing myself.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    There's a 3.5mph entry on MFP.

But, yes, I underestimate because I eat 90-100% of my exercise calories. I wear a HRM a lot but I don't trust it. :laugh: It always tells me I've burned more than MFP says. I go with what MFP says so that way when I eat 100% of my exercise cals I'm not eating away at my calorie deficit. It's what's working for *me* right now. :wink: Of course, that may change in the future (as my calorie intake has changed a *lot* in the last 3 months).
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I subtract 100 calories from whatever MFP tells me, just to safe. For any exercise.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    good article for everyone wondering about calorie burn and which device works best. The gist is that nothing is 100% accurate in estimating calorie burn

http://www.consumersearch.com/blog/do-any-fitness-gadgets-give-you-an-accurate-read-on-calorie-burn