Low Calorie, Low Fat - Coconut Soft Cookies

Options
Firstly, this is my first post here at MFP and I'm pleased to say how things are going quite well and I like the way I've seen everyone helping each other, it's motivational and inspiring and I'm pleased to have joined such a community. I've been lurking the boards and been browsing some recipes and watched a few interesting threads and thought it was about time to post my own. And what better than a low calorie, low fat cookie recipe?

Completely Vegetarian and Vegan, soft, quite reasonably sized cookies. An easy recipe that to be honest I did whip together as a 'wing it' moment and just threw some stuff together. The batch of 13 (How unlucky lol. Haha =D) have come out of the oven and are cooling down right now but I couldn't help but have a nibble.

They may be a bit.. bland to some but they do have a soft, oaty texture and an after taste of coconut with the hint of applesauce.

Here's the recipe and the good old nutritional facts.

Whole Wheat Flour, 1/2 cup
Applesauce, sweetened, 1/2 cup
Dessicated Coconut, 3 tbsp
Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp
Bicarbonate of Soda, 1 tsp
Water 1/2 cup

Mix the flour, coconut, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together and then add the applesauce and water. Mix well until all combined and the texture becomes a little bit like porridge. Using a tablespoon, spoon out reasonable amounts onto the baking trays (that has been sprayed using the no-cal/low-cal butter spray).
Place the trays into a pre-heated oven, gas mark 1 and leave for 20 minutes. Check them and then leave for further 15 and there you go. Enjoy warm, or leave to cool for a chewy bite treat =]

Makes 13 servings. 1 serving = 1 cookie.
Calories per serving: 31 calories.
Total Fat: 0.1g
Sodium: 145.7mg
Potassium: 6mg
Total Carbohydrate: 5.3g
Dietary Fibre: 0.7g
Sugars: 1.6g
Protein: 0.6g

I have also put them into the database so if you type in 'Homemade Low Calorie - Coconut Soft Bites' it comes up with all said information =]

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!! I love that this recipe has very few ingredients.. Definitely something I can handle! I'm keeping this one and making them tomorrow with my daughter! Thanks again and welcome to the site!

p.s. What are you preheating the oven to?
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I looooove coconut macaroons and someone gave me a recipe that I don't dare make - It is loaded with coconut and sweetened condensed milk and probably a million calories per cookie. But THIS I can do! Thanks for sharing.:smile:
  • malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks for this great recipe! I'll give it a try this week-end. I also use applesauce for vegan desserts, it works very well. I like that your cookies are so low in calories and packed with fibers, it's all I love to see in a cookie these days...

Welcome to MFP :)

1111650.png
  • donnaleecam
    donnaleecam Posts: 54
    Options
    I'll have to try these!!
  • charlotte77
    Options
    @ rattykid: My oven is odd and doesn't show the gas marks, it just has these little dots =S so I found the equivalents.
    Gas mark 1
    275 Fahrenheit
    140 Centigrade

@ Everyone else: Hope you all enjoy =]

My boyfriend said that they were a touch bit bland so he added some reduced sugar jam. Or you could crumble them into a low fat yogurt. Experimentation is always good.
  • fit4hols
    fit4hols Posts: 6
    Options
    These look delicious and healthy, thanks! Got to try them!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    What is dessicated coconut? Is it just flaked coconut? They sound yummy, without eggs, are they nice and crumbly? I'll try these too soon. :)
  • Ladeejulz
    Ladeejulz Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks!! They sound yummy!!