ZUMBA?

Options
I love running, but occasionally I get bored of it. I am going to a Zumba class tonight to try it out. Is this worth it? I used to take dance growing up and I have ALWAYS loved dance. Is this going to be as equivalent though? Am I going to lose weight like I would in a dance class? I guess it would depend on the intensity level of the Zumba class. Just looking for some opinions or success stories with Zumba! Thanks guys!

Replies

• scress0514
    scress0514 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bought the DVD's online and really enjoy them, the moves are fun but I like a different kind of music so by doing it at home I can play my own. Good luck you should enjoy it
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    the instructor makes a huge difference.. I prefer it on my Wii over any other method.. but I love ZUMBA
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I find, like most excersize, that Zumba is as hard as you make it. If you put some serious effort into your booty-shaking, it'll be a fantastic cardio work out. I personally hate gyms so I do Zumba by myself in my living room, but I sure am wiped when I'm done!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I started doing zumba in April two months after joining mfp. I love it. It takes time to learn but its a great workout and fun. I do it about 3 times a week but until a cpl months ago I went four times. Have fun.
  • crowesnest16
    crowesnest16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love it and am addicted - as another post said the more you put in the more you get from it..... I go twice a week and get a real buzz from it, the DVDs are okay but the classes make you work that much harder. I am over 200lb but shake as much as everyone else there - have found my fitness has really improved since going! Highly recommend it :happy:
  • hop143
    hop143 Posts: 6
    Options
    awesome! sounds like it will be a good experience and i'm sure i will enjoy it since it's dancing. i just don't want to pay for classes if it really doesn't do much in toning or losing a few pounds here and there.
  • hop143
    Options
    ZUMBA WAS SO MUCH FUN!!! highly recommend it for those who like music/dancing and need to switch up a workout routine. thanks for your input everyone!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I burn at least 600 calories in my 50 minute Zumba classes, so i think it is a great workout.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    What I did to get advanced in my zumba class is bought the DVD set and workout at home. So I have become more experienced and fit quickly to catch up with the others. I read somewhere that in an hour of zumba you spend more than 500 cal.
    There is a good review for this zumba exhilarate DVD set here: http://www.zumbaexhilaratereviews.com
  • hop143
    Options
    great idea with the dvds! i am also looking into getting some of the music from my zumba class on a cd or playlist to use when i'm running or working out at the gym because they music really pumps me up!
  • sjanney007
    Options
    You will absolutely love, love, love it! Once you get used to the steps you'll be able to really get into it and burn the calories. The DVD's are great...but nothing like rockin' it out with a bunch of your friends. Addictive!