BMI is a lie

Options
Found this article from 2009 about what BMI was originally intended for versus its current use:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2009/07/beyond_bmi.html

"[Ancel Keys - creator of the BMI] had never intended for the BMI to be used in this way. His original paper warned against using the body mass index for individual diagnoses, since the equation ignores variables like a patient's gender or age, which affect how BMI relates to health. It's one thing to estimate the average percent body fat for large groups with diverse builds, Keys argued, but quite another to slap a number and label on someone without regard for these factors."

Use your body fat percentage instead to determine a more appropriate goal weight.

Replies

• ErikasOperation150
    ErikasOperation150 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have always wonder about this, thank you for sharing.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Great post - and very truthful. I work with a gal who is clearly in great shape, pretty muscular naturally. She was told by the nurses she was Obese according to the BMI chart - she could maybe lose 10 pounds but Obese? Phooey to that...
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    at my last GYN appointment my nurse told me I was morbidly obese - needless to say after a mild verbal discussion I left crying. I knew I was fat, I knew they had written on my OB chart to have my baby that I was Obese but I had just had a baby 3 months earlier and was trying to adjust and then she throws in the MORBIDLY obese part - which just tore at my heart strings. Now I am determined to lose weight so when I go back to see her I can think in my mind (not my mouth) that she is the fat one....not me!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    BMI is a population based measurement, and measures weight only, not health. But, while muscular men with low BF may register as overweight by BMI, it is rare for women to have an unhealthy BMI and a healthy BF%.

Though even if your BMI is healthy, if your waist circumference is too high you can still have increased risk of disease.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The cake is a lie.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    BMI is a population based measurement, and measures weight only, not health. But, while muscular men with low BF may register as overweight by BMI, it is rare for women to have an unhealthy BMI and a healthy BF%.

Though even if your BMI is healthy, if your waist circumference is too high you can still have increased risk of disease.

This. Even when I'm at my goal weight I am still considered obese. It doesn't take body composition into account.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    BMI makes me cry myself to sleep every night.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    As the article touches on, BMI is a metric best suited for estimating the waistlines of an entire population. When applied to the individual, it fails miserably because it doesn't take into account frame type, lean muscle mass, or bodyfat percentage. It is awful that doctors and insurance companies use such a flawed methodology.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i hardly look at the scale and BMI. I mostly go by body fat%. BMI doesn't take into account water weight, how much of your weight is muscle, fat, etc...
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    On the other hand, BMI statistics have been gathered for segmented populations, i.e. male , female, different age brackets.
    Did the author know that ?
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What is the ideal range on body fat%?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It's not a lie. Unless you have a large amount of muscle mass and a very low BF%, BMI is a good range of weight we should be in. My range is 135-179 for normal. I'm 147 and happy as a clam with how I look and my blood test numbers are fantastic. Better than the average 21 year. I think it's a good indicator of where you should be if you are the average person. I think BF is a better indicator - but unless you are able to test that accurately, BMI is easier since everyone has access to scales.
  • CortneyHicks20
    Options
    Yep.... I'm 5'9" 215lbs and pretty healthy. But my BMI says i'm obese!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't accurate for everyone, some people are more muscular and it throws it off but for the average population there aren't that many special snowflakes out there that it isn't at least an indication of where you fall in line with the general population. No one wants to hear that they're obese or morbidly obese but BMI isn't so far off that it should be completely disregarded. Our perceptions of our size and body composition are often very skewed from what the world really sees. My favourite statement is "I carry my weight well".
  • i64X
    i64X Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The cake is a lie.

Awesome. :-)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    There is no one single test to measure healthy weight. BF% alone can be just as bad on an individual basis.

Just as a healthy muscular man with low BF% may register as obese BMI, an sickly anorexic woman with an unhealthily low BMI may have a BF% of an athlete.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that most of the running backs in the NFL are obese based solely on BMI.
  • iowachapman
    iowachapman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are alot of healthy looking people posting on this topic, my doc recently just said I am morbid obese, granted I realize I am not slim jim, but I find it odd that I can do 1 mile jog in 9 minute 20 seconds, typically do 3.1 miles in 33 minutes, with a best of 28 minutes. Not too shabby for someone who is morbid obese in my opinion. The BMI is horribly jacked, my arms, shoulders, legs show no fat, only around my torso and my waist is 40, neck 18, even when I got down to 207 my waist was 40, neck was 17. There is a Navy calculator that would probably be more accurate as it takes into account age, waist neck for me and then also hips for women. Seems many doctors are stuck on old school mentality of looking at just a scale vs getting more factual data.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm
  • simonbeal11
    Options
    BMI is a joke. I am 5'10 and I have recently got my weight down from 230lbs to 207 lbs and I felt well.
    I have to starve to get to 196lbs. According to BMI I should weigh between 126lbs-146lbs.
    I last weighed the bottom figure when I was about 12 years old.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    BMI is a joke. I am 5'10 and I have recently got my weight down from 230lbs to 207 lbs and I felt well.
    I have to starve to get to 196lbs. According to BMI I should weigh between 126lbs-146lbs.
    I last weighed the bottom figure when I was about 12 years old.

How you feel has nothing to do with whether your weight is the healthy range. Statistically you are at an increased risk of disease at your current weight.