Under 1200 calories?

Options
Well I've been at this a few weeks and I'm not really seeing any changes at all which is frustrating.

I decided to calculate my BMR etc and see how many calories I really should be eating. Turns out my BMR is 1297 (as I am only 5'0). And MFP's suggestion of 1200 calories a day (creating a 97 deficit), will mean it will take me over a month just to lose 1 pound!!

SO obviously I'm going to reduce my intake. However what level should I change it to? At what point does it become dangerous?
I was thinking somewhere between 800 - 1000 ?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No. BMR is the number of calories you need to eat to stay alive - why would you want to eat under that?! Figure out your TDEE and reduce from that.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    No. BMR is the number of calories you need to eat to stay alive - why would you want to eat under that?! Figure out your TDEE and reduce from that.

this
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your previous community posts, from earlier today you said you were 5'0" and 99lb. Your goal is to gain muscle and to be 115lb. So...I'm already confused.

800 calories is NOT going to do you any favors. It's a temporary, dangerous fix.
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    Oh okay I'd got that completely wrong then haha! I'd been told that was your weight maintenance level, and to lose weight you have to go below that...

So thank you for setting me straight :)

@rebelate Yes but I need to get my body fat percentage down to the appropriate level, and then it's easier to gain the muscle
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they already said. Your BMR is the amount of calories your body burns just handling basic bodily functions. The second you wake up and roll out of bed and stumble off to the bathroom (maybe that's just my morning routine...) you're burning more calories than that. Nevermind once you start adding on exercise.

By MFP's calculator, my BMR is only a little over 1200 (5'5, 40 years old, 135 pounds), but my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to maintain my current weight is about 2300. I lose on 1800-2000 calories.

And if your goal is to gain muscle, you're going to want to eat more than your TDEE.
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the explanation. It's making more sense to me now aha - I did think it wasn't a lot of calories
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle and lose weight at the same time and I'd assume all you need is to be at 14% BF to have very visible definition so I think losing more might be unnecessary, try lifting heavy and eating heavy. Bet you will get what you want doing it that way.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Judging by your pictures you don't need to/shouldn't lose a single pound anyway. Eat your BMR and focus on being healthy :smile:
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    I know it seems like I'm skinny considering my weight but I'm a fat skinny.

I've calculated my body fat and it's actually 24% - so I do need to lose some fat to get muscular

And it's not necessarily for aesthetic reasons - although thank you :) - as I need to be strong as a dancer so it's important that I have a low bf percentage and have muscle tone
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I ran your number using 1.5 as your activity level and here are your numbers:

"Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR WOMEN)" BMR 1,152 (if you were in a coma, this is how many calories you would be fed to keep you alive)
    Maintenance 1,727 (this is what you need to eat to not gain or lose weight)
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,468 (calories you would eat to lose 1 lb a week)
    Cut (@ 20%) 1,382 (calories you would eat to lose 1.5 lbs a week)
    Build (@ 15%) 1,986 (calories you would eat to gain weight)
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    Thank you - that's really kind and will be very helpful! :)
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    24% is actually considered a healthy body fat for a woman. Due to our reproductive systems, etc, you should not really go much below 21%. If you do you may have issues with missed periods, etc. Also it's pretty hard to accurately measure body fat on your own.

TDEE method is explained in this message board post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Another article I like this this one which accounts for body frame size.
    http://health101.org/art_calories

In your case because of your size, the MFP method of using BMR+Exercise puts you at too low of a number.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    jNFqw.gif

like mal here, i've decided to just keep my big mouth shut.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you are not eating enough. It's as simple as that. A hard concept to understand, but once you get there, you'll ask yourself why you ever ate so little?

I've lost 25 pounds and I eat 1700 calories a day. I'm 5'2''. Not to say that is what YOU should eat, but it works for me.
    Of course you also need to take everything into consideration, NOT just calories. Watch out for sodium (lunch meats, frozen meals), fats, sugars, protein. All of those things need to be considered.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This is a joke though right?
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    you actually can't gain muscle/lose fat at the same time.

http://stronglifts.com/can-you-build-muscle-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/
  • thatfitgaal
    Options
    Okay thank you, I read the TDEE thread and that was actually really good thank you :)

In terms of the body fat... essentially I'm training to be a dancer, and the body fat percentage for atheletes is 14-20% so I'd like to try and be at least in the top area of that range. Fit is 20-24% so at the moment I'm barely in that.

But it's useful to know that MFP's calculations aren't quite right - I guess I'll have to do some difficult calculations to personalize it myself haha

Edit: okay didn't realise so many people had posted since then! This was for @hollietkac
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Where you are, eating at a deficit is not going to help you. What you need is strength training. This will also require you to eat MORE. You need to build muscle which will in turn burn fat and shape your body. I recommend "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. I just started this program myself this week and (also at 5'0" tall) I have much more fat than you to lose. I hope you figure it out and follow a healthy plan. Good luck to you.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

I've calculated my body fat and it's actually 24% - so I do need to lose some fat to get muscular

And it's not necessarily for aesthetic reasons - although thank you :) - as I need to be strong as a dancer so it's important that I have a low bf percentage and have muscle tone

ok.

i can't keep my mouth shut.

If you tested your body fat using an online calculator or a body fat scale, you wasted your time. The only accurate ways are dexa scan, hydrostatic test, or calipers in the hands of a well experienced person.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options

have you considered weight lifting? I'm built similar and once I started lifting, not only did I continue to lose weight, I noticed my problem areas were getting leaner and tighter. If you are ever interested the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" changed my life, no joke.