Surviving Disney

Options
OK so I am going to Disney World in 21 days. I am running in the Princess Half Marathon and the Royal Family 5K. While I will be getting lots of exercise in, I want to make sure that I don't go too nutso with the eating. Any advice for how to eat better in Disney? I won't be depriving myself of every thing but I just want to be smart. Any tips would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Disney is amazing when it comes to foods that they offer, espeically all of their sweet treats! That would be the hardest part for me to avoid. I would say to maybe research the different places they have to eat in and out of the park and just be smart about what you order. Indluge a little, you'll deserve it, but remember to keep a mental note of everything you are putting in your body. I know that for me, going into a place where there is temptation all around, knowing what the healthy options are before hand helps to keep the healthy eating on track. Best of luck and have a blast!
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I actually write a blog about Theme Park food! I cover Disney quite a bit: www.themeparkfoodie.net.

Would you mind telling me which parks you are planning to visit? I can recommend the best restaurants and menu items based on the parks you'll be seeing.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You can take a cooler/back pack with healthy snacks and limit yourself to one meal at Disney. And even at your meal you can opt for chicken or fish.

Our last trip to Disney I actually lost 2lbs. :)
  • tpfoodie
    Options
    You can take a cooler/back pack with healthy snacks and limit yourself to one meal at Disney. And even at your meal you can opt for chicken or fish.

Our last trip to Disney I actually lost 2lbs. :)

You have to be careful with this. Disney limits the amount of food you can bring into the park. Besides, there are plenty of healthy options available at the attractions and the OP is going on vacation. She should enjoy the opportunity to try the park offerings.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There really are some decent choices. Last time I was at Disneyland two years ago I had a grilled chicken sandwich with fresh avocado slices on it. YUM!
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I actually write a blog about Theme Park food! I cover Disney quite a bit: www.themeparkfoodie.net.

Would you mind telling me which parks you are planning to visit? I can recommend the best restaurants and menu items based on the parks you'll be seeing.

I will have to check this out, thanks! We are not doing any parks at all. So we're limited to just hotels and Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk. We are driving down so taking a cooler of food might be worth it. We're staying the All Stars and so they don't have a fridge in the room. Thanks for the advice :)
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I second what Ram Runner said. Theme parks make the most money from their food sales and you end up saving a ton by just bringing in your own fruits and snacks. I usually just snack on a backpack of food for the day and get a nice big meal for lunch, then maybe something light for dinner. Having a big [but hopefully not huge and heavy] early lunch helps because you'll be doing a lot of standing and walking to help burn it off throughout , plus you can always box up some of it for later. That's my usual plan for Disneyland.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    We go to Disneyland once a year and there are many healthy things to eat there are even carts placed around the park that sell fresh fruit. There are so many choices of Heathy food you wont believe it.
  • tpfoodie
    Options

I will have to check this out, thanks! We are not doing any parks at all. So we're limited to just hotels and Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk. We are driving down so taking a cooler of food might be worth it. We're staying the All Stars and so they don't have a fridge in the room. Thanks for the advice :)

There are a lot of great dining options at the resorts and in DD and the Boardwalk; most locations will offer something considered "healthy." That being said, you ARE running quite a bit - you may want to look into information more focused on nutrition than low calorie options.

For cheap resort food, I highly recommend Landscape of Flavors at Disney's Art of Animation resort. The food offerings are fresh, healthy, delicious and very affordable.

Enjoy your trip!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    With all that exercise, all you really need to do is just watch portions. I wouldn't worry too much about the food otherwise. As long as you aren't stuffing your face every hour, you will cover it.
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How fun that they offer races like that, and great way to guarantee some exercise...although the amount of walking you'll do there will certainly give you that too.

We did a week in Disneyland over Thanksgiving, and something huge that saved me was bringing food and snacks into the parks with us. I had to be very disciplined in eating what I brought and maybe planning on indulging in one thing, but not only saved me a ton of calories, also a good chunk of money while there.

I also got myself into the resort gym to get some extra workout time in.

But, it's still your vacation, and you need to just enjoy being away and have fun!

We're going to Disney World in March, have never been, will be helpful to see some other responses.
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs the last time I went to Disney. (We also spent a small bit of time at Universal Studios.) We were on a tight budget, and I was trying to also not eat poorly. We always ate breakfast before arriving at the park. I tried to stick to grilled chicken anywhere we went. It got really old after a few days, but I was determined to not go overboard on vacation. When there wasn't chicken available, I chose whatever was mostly lean with not too much sauces and kept it low carb. I also packed tons of snacks, protein bars, meal bars, etc so I would constantly munch on something and not feel like I have to get the junk off the carts. I did let myself have one or two treats along with two dinners (with no restrictions). The variety of foods at the parks have really improved. There is something there for everyone, no matter what diet restriction! I should have had a pedometer. We walked so much in five days. We also took advantage of extended park hours and sometimes left midday to eat lunch on our own to keep costs low and options open.
  • MishaKudo
    MishaKudo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We're going to Disney soon, too! Yay~<3 We're doing a dining plan so I have to make sure I make smart choices (most of the time~) too. You can always get fresh fruit (bring it in the park if you're not on a dining plan and get it as your snack if you are), salads, boiled eggs, pitas, veggie burgers, fish, tofu, Boma at Animal Kingdom has hummus, fufu and other great high fiber/grain foods. Order sauces on the side, substitute veggies/fruit for fries, ask that your meat not be cooked in butter, and if you don't mind asking see if you can order a half-portion of an entree for less money.

Also~ I found this cute little "Eat This Not That" chart:

Instead of a Mickey Bar: 1 Bar, Calories: 330, Fat: 22g, Carbs: 31g, Protein: 3g…
    Have a Dole Whip: 1/2 Cup Prepared, Calories: 80, Fat: btwn 1 and 3g (differing based on sources). Note that the usual Dole Whip serving is more than a 1/2 cup, but even with size, you’re saving on fat calories.

Instead of an ice cream cone at the Fountainview in Epcot…
    Have a Kaki Gori from Japan

Instead of a Cosmic Rays cheeseburger…
    Have a grilled chicken sandwich with veggies or a veggie wrap

Instead of a Margarita from Mexico…
    Have a glass of wine from Germany

Instead of ordering steak at a table-service restaurant…
    Have a pork or chicken dish for one or two nights

Instead of cheese fries… (I know. Painful.)
    Have a soft pretzel, or even some pretzel nuggets with cheese sauce

Instead of a Turkey Leg (Nearly 1000 calories!!)…
    Have a deli sandwich at a bakery or a grilled chicken sandwich at a counter service restaurant

Even at Disney there is something healthy at every stop~ I don't plan to make those choices 24/7 while I'm there, lol. But I certainly plan to be good most of the time. :) All that running and walking will probably have you losing weight at Disney! Have fun!
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i just went to disneyland in california and i prepared my own lunch and brought it in a little insulated lunch pale kinda thing. I brought tuna and wheathins, carrots, a hardboiled egg, and a chocolate pudding. You'll be busy as well, so not sure if youll even end up eating that much. i didnt.
  • lovedork
    lovedork Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dole Whips are SO GOOD! They arent too bad in terms of calories and so worth it! Also, most of the food places have salads, fruits, etc. There are really so many options.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I went to Disney, from all the walking about, in spite of eating as I wished.
    I do remember one of the places though did this wonderful cottage cheese and fruit plate that I used to have everyday.
    There are so many eating places there, and I am fairly sure quite a few healthy eating options.
    But, if I got to go back to Disney, I think I would just be seizing the day and enjoying every moment I had there as I love the place, and have not been in about 18 years.
  • MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you go to allears.net they have a lot of information as well as menus for most of the restaurants (not nutritional information, but it can at least give you an idea of the food offered). You can also look at "The Disney Food Blog" (just search it, I think that is the web site name too, but not sure) where all they blog about is food at Disney :). Disney has so many great places to eat and awesome food it can be hard to stick to a diet (personally, if we go to Disney again anytime in the near future, I will just let myself splurge a little but still try to make healthy decisions such as grilled instead of fried and no heavy sauces, more vegetarian dishes, etc.). If this is a one time thing and you don't go to Disney every day, you might want to think about relaxing a little and have at least one meal a day that you don't worry "how many calories is this?" (within reason, though). Also, you can check with your hotel and see if they offer fridges- I know that Pop Century had undergone some renovations (that is where we stay when we go) and the last time we went they had fridges in the rooms, so they might be upgrading all the value resorts to have fridges in the rooms now. If you are taking a car you could definitely take a trip or two to the grocery stores around town and get the things you need for breakfasts and snacks.
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone :) Trust me, after running a 5K and a half marathon plus walking around a lot, I plan on splurging some. I just don't want to go out of control and undo all the hard work I've done. I will eat some bad things but I want to be smart too. I would rather eat healthy throughout the day and be able to eat a good dessert at night and not feel guilty about it :) I am on vacation and so I want to enjoy myself, just not overly so! I've worked too hard to undo it in a weekend!