your opinion please!!!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody learned many things!!!!!!!!:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • AbbieZabba
    Options
    Did you break a sweat???
    There's my opinion :flowerforyou:
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I dont add my walking at all.. I just look at that as extra calories burned.. Like last night I walked (very fast) in between Bed Bath and Beyond and the Apple Store in the mall a few times before the mall closed and didnt record that.
    And it wasnt just one quick walk.. I parked outside of BBB and knew I needed to buy a kitchen garbage can. But I also needed to speak to a techie at the apple store.. So i went to the apple store (fast), booked my appt (which was in 20 minutes, and mall closed in 30). So I went back to BBB, bought the garbage cam, took it out to my car then walked back to the apple store and then after my appt walked back towards BBB where my car was parked.. At this was all done at the West Edmonton Mall which is the largest mall in North America. I didnt record any of that sped up walking on my app..
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined MFP and am still getting the hang of it, but I am using the following method:

To lose a healthy 1-2 pounds per week, MFP suggests I eat 1200 calories a day. I also work out every day and SWEAT (aside from normal life activities like running errands, full-time job, chasing child, etc.) so it is REALLY hard for me to stay under 1500 calories without feeling shaky and miserable.

So, I do add in my cardio/weight minutes each day, but not because I want to "buy back" additional food calories. I do it so that I can have a more accurate gauge of how MY body performs best (frankly, I was tired of seeing that big, bold RED NUMBER when I went over 1200 calories! :)

Ultimately, I think that it will always boil down to a calories in/calories out equation for weight loss. You are the #1 person you have to answer to on this journey, so be true to yourself and the results will reflect that!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I only log my work outs (going to the gym, job, Crossfit), everything else (cleaning etc) isn't a 'work out' as far as I am concerned.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    youre only cheating yourself by doing that. It asks you to rate your overall activity level so i'd just put lightly active if youre actually walking around a bit each day.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    how many calories are burned by me logging my foods in MFP

wait, that sentence alone i think was .8745 calories burned...brb
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I log it.
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If I don't have to put on a sports bra to do it, it's not exercise!

^^^^ This is how I feel. I only count things as exercise if I know in my heart that I am going to some additional physical effort to do it. Hauling my fat *** around doing chores doesn't count for me. I just think of any effect that stuff has on my health as an extra bonus.

There is a secondary issue with counting daily duties as exercise and that is that MFP is notorious for over estimating calorie burning, so if it says you burned 200 calories walking for 2 hours then the likelihood is you only really burned 100 and that would be pretty close to the calories you burn in that period of time just surviving.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Grocery shopping is an exercise in patience and thriftiness and nothing more. Unless you're buying 20-30 bags of 50lb dog food at a time, in which case I would log it as 'light cleaning'.
  • momof2TONI
    Options
    I personally would not. I am not a fan of entering calories burned by shopping, cleaning, walking up the stair to my office or anything else that I *HAVE* to do regardless. My exercise is the extra effort I put into it. Regardless if you were on this site or not...you'd be having to shop or clean or walk the dog. So I don't see that those count for much as your body is already accustomed to that exercise and therefore its not really adding to yoru weightloss efforts.

THIS
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I dont count ANYTHING i would do on a normal basis as exercise. (sex, walking in my house or at a grocery store, cleaning etc) In my opinion it IS cheating yourself. I only count the actual time I take out of my day for EXERCISE as EXERCISE. =)
  • Mr_Clean
    Mr_Clean Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you did it prior to starting your weight loss journey then I wouldn't count it. It may be just as much exercise as going for a 30 minute walk but if you've always done it then it's part of your normal routine and should already be accounted for when you set up your profile.
  • 1CheakyC
    1CheakyC Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I agree if you move then it will have a calorific value.

I use Bootdiets.com to check activity values. If you go to the main screen and scroll down to the bottom under the 'Free Tools' section there is an Exercise Checker. 10 mins of Shopping is 28 calories.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you did it prior to starting your weight loss journey then I wouldn't count it. It may be just as much exercise as going for a 30 minute walk but if you've always done it then it's part of your normal routine and should already be accounted for when you set up your profile.

Exactly!! I don't count it unless it makes me sweat!