Leg and arms!

Options
Hi everyone

I've been on Fitness Pal since March 2012, and have had some success losing just over 4 stone (57 lb) so far. My weight loss has significantly slowed in recent months and I'm working on losing my last stone (14 lb) to get to my healthy goal weight, and am also using the time to focus on improving my fitness levels and general body conditioning. I eat around 1650 calories a day.
My "problem" area is my legs...I know I have lost a nice amount of inches all over, but my legs and upper arms are still "wobbly" despite being smaller and are by far yielding the smallest results of inch-loss and need a lot of conditioning. When I started I had access to a gym and went a few times a week for cardio and strength training, but this is no longer an option due to finances. The weather is also pretty bad where I live at the moment, so going for walks with my young daughter in the pram is not a great option for the time being.
I have recently borrowed a cross trainer (elliptical trainer) from a friend and have started doing Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown at home to improve my stamina and flexibility. I am looking for exercises or routines that I can do at home to improve the strength and tone of my arms and legs. I realise I cannot "spot reduce"...I am looking to improve my overall health and fitness and continue losing weight and inches in the process!
Does anyone have any suggestions? I have some small 0.5kg hand weights, weighted wrist bands, a yoga mat and some kettlebell weights at my disposal if any of them would be useful.

Thanks!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are good. Squats and lunges for your legs, pushups and tricep dips for your arms. Pull ups if you have something to do them on. You can hold heavy things from around the house to increase resistance during the leg exercises, or wear a backpack filled with things from around the house.

I'm sure you could find good kettlebell routines on the web for free.
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Without weights, bodyweight exercises are your best bet. Squats and lunges for your legs, pushups and tricep dips for your arms. Pull ups if you have something to do them on. You can hold heavy things from around the house to increase resistance during the leg exercises, or wear a backpack filled with things from around the house.

I have been working on my pushups, am only on day two and feeling the ache already! Should I treat bodyweight exercises the same as I did strength training and have rest days?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Without weights, bodyweight exercises are your best bet. Squats and lunges for your legs, pushups and tricep dips for your arms. Pull ups if you have something to do them on. You can hold heavy things from around the house to increase resistance during the leg exercises, or wear a backpack filled with things from around the house.

I have been working on my pushups, am only on day two and feeling the ache already! Should I treat bodyweight exercises the same as I did strength training and have rest days?

Yes, or do arms one day and legs the next. So that your arms are resting on leg day, and vice versa. Still wouldn't hurt to take one full day off per week.
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, or do arms one day and legs the next. So that your arms are resting on leg day, and vice versa. Still wouldn't hurt to take one full day off per week.

Great that's really helpful, thank you :smile:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
  • lisa_e2012
    lisa_e2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out nerdfitness.com - there are a few different body weight workouts (from total beginner level to "omg no way would I be able to do that")