eating dinner after working out

Options
is it bad to eat dinner after you workout? cause i usally eat dinner at 9 and bed by 11 should i eat dinner before i go to the gym? and have a shake afterwords?

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories are within goal, I don't think it matters?
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner between 9 and 10pm after the gym. No issues whatsoever. Just make sure you're within your calorie/macro goals and you should be fine.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I always eat after. Even when I go in the morning. I know, shame shame, I should eat before the morning work out lol
  • Luis2787
    Options
    ahh okay i wasnt sure if that would hinder you from weight loss.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Eating so late can cause prob with your digestion.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter! Most of the time I workout right after work, then eat dinner after that. Never had any problems.
  • tapdance66
    Options
    I always eat after. Even when I go in the morning. I know, shame shame, I should eat before the morning work out lol

Me too! I'm a morning workout person, but I always eat after. When I walk at my lunch hour, I always eat my lunch after I get back to work too. Doesn't seem to bother me.
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat between 8 & 9 pm with no issues
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Me too! I'm a morning workout person, but I always eat after. When I walk at my lunch hour, I always eat my lunch after I get back to work too. Doesn't seem to bother me.

It's just easier for me to eat afterwards! If I could walk during my lunch hour (that doesn't exist lol)
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It depends. You need energy, but don't want to be full when you work out, so I just have a snack if I am hungry. Afterwards your body needs food to get the advantage of the work-out, but it doesn't have to be a full meal. Some protein and healthy carbs is what you need then. So it's up to you really, when you have dinner, as long as you are not so full it's uncomfortable.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'll have a snack before and dinner after.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wow, thats late to eat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Meal timing will have no bearing on anything, from a nutritional standpoint. If it doesn't cause you any problems with sleep, how you feel, how your workouts go, or how many calories you consume, eat at whatever time you prefer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    After I hit the weight room I have my whey powder...I get home around 7 and eat dinner around 8:30 which usually includes more protein and a few carbs. No biggie.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I eat after, but usually by 8:30 (but I am usually in bed by 10:30, so the timing isn't that different). I eat a high-protein snack about an hour before I go to the gym to stave off nauseousness and to make sure I have enough fuel to get through my workout.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If I am working out late, I eat before and then have a protein shake and a piece of fruit after. It's a habit I got into while working with a trainer and I just continued it...
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    If your not having any digestive problems then I don't think it will matter. Me for example, I have to workout at least 1 hour after i eat otherwise I'll eat after the workout. Good luck!!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It depends. You need energy, but don't want to be full when you work out, so I just have a snack if I am hungry. Afterwards your body needs food to get the advantage of the work-out, but it doesn't have to be a full meal. Some protein and healthy carbs is what you need then. So it's up to you really, when you have dinner, as long as you are not so full it's uncomfortable.
    ^THIS. Healthy protein/carb snack before (e.g. almonds, protein bar, etc.) and dinner afterwards. I don't see a problem as long as:
    1) You don't eat so much before that you cramp or get nauseous
    2) You have enough nutrition/energy to fuel your workout properly
    3) Eat dinner so close to bed doesn't make you uncomfortable or disrupt your sleep.

I'm an evening (after-work) exerciser and 90% of the time I eat dinner afterward (e.g. 8p-10p). As long as I give myself at least 30-45 min before laying down, I'm all good.

In the end, do what works for you!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is of no importance. You could eat your total daily calorie goal in one sitting if you chose to do so. It is all personal preference. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm actually eating my dinner now and its 9:50 pm!
    By the time I have walked home from work, got changed, warmed up, completed my workout, crawled into the shower, its around 9pm!!
    I hate going to bed with a full stomach, so end up sitting here till 12, which then means I'm not getting my full quota of sleep.

I really need to re-organise my workout evenings ... its just that there is not enough hours in the day!:laugh: