Green smoothies additions?

Options
Sooo....I love making green smoothies but beyond the fruit and greens, the only things I can think of to add is greek yogurt and protein powder. I would love to branch out but I don't know what else to add?? Any suggestions?

Replies

• JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I add 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter, ground flaxseed, unsweetened cocoa powder. I did try cottage cheese and that wasn't too bad...black beans are good too (they blend well.)... just a few options.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    nuts/oils like sunflower or pumpkin seeds, or coconut oil!
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    I add chia seeds and almond butter to mine.
  • vreleford
    Options
    If you routinely use bananas, sub 1/4 - 1/2 an avocado.
  • alainesueme
    Options
    spinch, walnuts,vanilla yogurt,vanilla protein powder, cinnamon, a lil bit of almond milk. i dont really know the exact measurements but a friend told me to try this and it was actually pretty good.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe:
    1/2 cup water
    1 cp. green grapes
    1/2 cp fresh pineapple chunks
    1/2 medium banana peeled
    2 cups spinach, lightly packed
    1/2 cup ice cubes

Makes 2 1/2 cups 87 calories per cup.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you routinely use bananas, sub 1/4 - 1/2 an avocado.

oooh yes yes!
    I didn't have any bananas in the house this morning so I put half an avocado in my smoothie (along with spinach, blueberries and strawberries) REALLY good. had a nice creamy texture.

You can also add oats, just make sure to blend that beforehand and alone so it gets shredded tiny.
    natural peanut butter
    cocoa powder
    cinnamon
    kale
    spinach
    ground flax
    chia seeds
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Will putting avocado in change the taste a lot? I'm not a big fan of avocado.......
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    Chia seeds, lemon balm or fresh herbs when they're in season, spirulina (acquired taste), coconut water
  • shannaduffyphoto
    shannaduffyphoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sub my water for double strength green tea, it gives me a nice morning- time boost. I also leave a tbsp of the orange peel on, citrus peels have some awesome health benefits, and it gives a great intense orange flavor!

Super-food smoothie:
    1 c. spinach
    1 c. strong green tea
    1 c. ice
    1 banana
    2 tbsp organic yogurt
    1/2 orange with about a tbsp of peel left on
    handful of berries.
    Serves 2
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    a couple i like are:

1c almond milk or coconut milk, 1 frozen banana, 1T almond butter, spinach, 1 scoop protein powder

1c almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1/2 avocado, 1T chia seeds, spinach, cocoa powder
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Will putting avocado in change the taste a lot? I'm not a big fan of avocado.......

it depends what else is all going in the smoothie. I was at first just going to blend half an avocado with a cup of blueberries, skim milk and spinach but it tasted too 'avocado' 'so I added strawberries.
    if it's a more complicated smoothie you'd taste it less, but in a simpler recipe the flavour will come out.
  • mayagayam
    mayagayam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This thread rocks y'all, great ideas!

I try soup combos for my green smoothies. Some I do cold like green gazpachos, some I do warm like smoothie soup.

Ex - Cold - tomato, celery, garlic, onion, parsley, kale, spinach, tiny bit of chlorella

Ex - Cold - various attempts to duplicate v8 (help!)

Ex - Warm - 1/4 lb asparagus, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup chicken bouillon, onion, garlic, pepper, salt

Ex - Warm - spinach, milk, salt, tiny bit of cream...

Love the avocado, yogurt, and seed butter ideas everyone, Thanks!

Maya
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    1 Tbsp chia seeds and 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
  • mayagayam
    mayagayam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avocado Gazpacho

1 medium size ripe avocado, peeled and pit removed, roughly chopped
    2 tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), stem and core removed, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup roughly chopped English cucumber
    1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
    3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
    Juice of 1 lime
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Water
    Optional Garnishes: diced avocado, cucumber, and/or tomato, chopped parsley, thin slices of baguette

Puree avocado, tomato, cucumber, garlic, and olive oil with a splash of water in blender until smooth. Blend in lime juice, spices, and vinegar.

Add water until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Can be eaten right away, but the flavor improves after the gazpacho sits in the fridge for a few hours.

((( Note: I added Kale and 1 scoop of Garden Of Life Green Super Food and LOVE it! )))

Thanks to - http://www.kaleandcardamom.com/2009/06/creamy-avocado-gazpacho.html?m=1
  • shuttlebug1
    shuttlebug1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    World's easiest veggie smoothie:
    1 cup V8
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    Just stir, no blender to clean. And it's a nice change from sweet smoothies and yogurts.
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    1 tbs whole flaxseeds, 1tbs sesame seeds. 1tbs chia seeds lemon and stevia