Minnesota blaaaaah

Options
Anyone else from MN? Or the neighboring cold states?

Im going to apologize ahead of time for my lengthy topic here- but I need help!

I work full time, when I get up to go to work- its cold & dark out. When I get home from work- its cold & dark out. Needless to say I get no sunshine unless its in the tanning bed (fake sunshine), and all my mojo and motivation has gone south, where I wish I was. I also have a bad case of seasonal depression going on so by the time I get home from a long day of stressful work- the last thing I want to do is workout, I need some motivation here! What do ya'll do for motivation in these cold dark states in the winter time? I wish I had the luxury of moving to FL, CA, NV, anywhere warm and sunny! Hey- maybe one day!

So I get home from work, and between playing with the dogs and wearing them out, catching up with my boyfriend on his day, cooking dinner and tidying up it feels like I (we) have no time for working out or having any relaxing time at the end of the day. I mean I get my workout in no matter what, I will stay up until 11 if I have to (Which is late for me since I have to wake up at 5 every morning), but the past few days have just been funky for me- I just don't have the drive. I was all determined and pumped up before, but now Im just depressed and ready for winter to be over. I came home last night and went straight for the chocolate, Pretty Little Liars and my bed. ITS BAD! I can't get back into this funk. Today has been even worse, for no reason at all I have cried 3 times at work (in the bathroom, because Im not going to be that fool crying at work) and Ive been binging on whatever I can get my hands on! The last thing I want to do is go home and do what I did last night.

I know winter is temportary- but please people- give me some tips or advice, what do you guys do when you feel like you have no time at night? Those of you who work full time or go to school full time where you don't get to be home too often, please help a girl out!

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hello from MN! Mankato here!

It has been TERRIBLY Cold and Icey here.

Your life sounds like mine, I go to work by 7:00 am, don't get home until 5 or 6, walk the dogs (except for the last couple of days) play with them wear them out. Go to Volleyball. Back home and to bed.

It is hard to fit a good workout in. I am lucky enough to play volleyball a few nights a week, so that is at least a good cardio workout. On nights that I don't have vball, I try to get the dogs tired, and then workout for about 1/2 hour (at least).

But I know where you are coming from. It is hard to stay motivated. What part of MN are you from?
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am in Saint Paul so I feel your pain. I spend the summer walking around the lakes, mountain biking at Lebanon Hills, grilling at Minnehaha Falls and then BOOM. Bitter cold and a quick end to all that sunshine and outdoor time.
    How about working out first thing in the morning? That's what I do. I set my alarm early early early and am in the gym before breakfast. Gets the blood (and the endorphins) going and sets a good tone for the rest of the day.
    I'll indulge in a bit of fake tanning as well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    From MN.

You can have your "sunshine" states, I'll take playing outside here in the winter.

Go skate, go skiing, cross country ski. Two of my most favorite activities (hockey and skiing) are in the winter. I'll take winter over summer anytime.

Sounds like you have something else going on. I get up and go to the gym M-TH at 4:30, and play hockey on Wed and Sun. 1st thing in the morning suck in that fresh cold air...nothing better. It was in the 60's in Arkansas this week while I was there for work. Felt good to step of the plane with temps in the single digits.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Used to be from Duluth......my answer: winter sports!
  • ckbeen
    ckbeen Posts: 5
    Options
    I feel your pain...... bitterly cold Iowa. Is there any way you can get a workout in over your lunch? I walk with a couple other ladies over the lunch and the last two days when it's been so cold we have stayed in our building and walked laps around each floor from top to bottom and then run back up to the top floor and start all over. We also did walking lunges on one of the floors. Was really a pretty tough workout and we did it for 45 minutes. I try to head to the gym straight from work because if I go home (especially when it's this cold) I won't leave again to go to the gym.

If you do miss a few days don't let it defeat you. Start over and get back to the gym (or wherever you do your workouts).
  • Arismar2022
    Arismar2022 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lived in Eden Prairie for 8 beautiful years!
    Some days I went to the gym, some days I turned on my work out DVD's. There is no excuse for not work out !
    I have Weight Watchers DVD's, Zumba, etc etc.
    It is nice to wake up and work out at home! I recommend do your work out first time in the morning...
    Always parked far away from my entrance door, and walked inside the building for work.
    It's just commitment and you can do it!!!
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm work in Moorhead, but live in Fargo.....Today is cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get this way in the winter for everyone, me included. I would suggest waking up earlier and try getting a great workout in in the morning before you go to work. It will more than likely help to make you feel great all day long.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from also. I'm in North Saint Paul and this cold spell we had and are now having makes it hard to be motivated to workout. I have a great support system here so I make them push me to go to the gym. When it's not below zero, I like to do things outside. I'm working up my motivation to do a workout in the morning before work, since half the week I'm up at 5:00 and don't leave until 7:00 for work. Even if it's just wii Zumba, at least I know I will be doing something.

The cold and dreary skies don't help the mood, pretty depressing. I'm excited for Spring but not so much looking forward to summer. So I would try the morning workouts, if you enjoy any winter sports and/or activities, home workout DVD's...etc.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Grew up in MN, most of my life, but now living down in AZ!!!!
  • danijolson
    danijolson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of your for your replies they are so helpful!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a case of SAD.

Check it out:

http://health.yahoo.net/health/seasonal-affective-disorder
  • danijolson
    Options
    Im from Prior Lake! & I work in St. Paul so its a good 45 minute commute to and from work, so add that on top of my time during the day :( We get home around 7 every night... and it feels like we have NO TIME at all to do anything for us. Next week my schedule changes so Ill get home about an hour earlier so that will help, but right now its like Im just stuck in this limbo phase and it sucks.
    Hello from MN! Mankato here!

It has been TERRIBLY Cold and Icey here.

Your life sounds like mine, I go to work by 7:00 am, don't get home until 5 or 6, walk the dogs (except for the last couple of days) play with them wear them out. Go to Volleyball. Back home and to bed.

It is hard to fit a good workout in. I am lucky enough to play volleyball a few nights a week, so that is at least a good cardio workout. On nights that I don't have vball, I try to get the dogs tired, and then workout for about 1/2 hour (at least).

But I know where you are coming from. It is hard to stay motivated. What part of MN are you from?
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm in TX and I live here mainly because I hate cold weather. I'd rather have 100 degrees over 30 degrees any day. But I have lived in central Washington (state not DC) for a few years and I understand how cold and dreary winters can be. Check out SAD on the internet.....I'm pretty sure that's what made me so miserable during the winters in Washington. Also, just a suggestion but have you had your vitamin D level checked? It might be low, which can cause a lot of the problems that your talking about (lethargy, depression, etc).

I'd send you some sun and some warm weather if I could!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ktbazzy
    ktbazzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi from Minnesota! I work FT, am a single mom, have no time or money to go to a gym. I have a weight set at home and as soon as I get home I change into my workout clothes. After the kids are in bed, I'm working out at 9:00pm! But you know, every once in a while you just get into a funk and need to spend a couple days lounging around and being lazy. Just don't let it go on for too long! You'll get back in the groove, especially if the damn sun would come out again!
  • danijolson
    Options
    I do try and wake up earlier in the morning to get a good run in, but sometimes its a lot easier said than done. In the summer I have no problem waking up early but in the winter I have a hard time waking up at all let alone early! :(
    I am in Saint Paul so I feel your pain. I spend the summer walking around the lakes, mountain biking at Lebanon Hills, grilling at Minnehaha Falls and then BOOM. Bitter cold and a quick end to all that sunshine and outdoor time.
    How about working out first thing in the morning? That's what I do. I set my alarm early early early and am in the gym before breakfast. Gets the blood (and the endorphins) going and sets a good tone for the rest of the day.
    I'll indulge in a bit of fake tanning as well.
  • danijolson
    Options
    Ahhhh youre crazy! Youre like my boyfriend, he plays hockey Wed nights, Sun nights and sometimes open hockey with his buddies on Saturday nights- he is all for outdoor sports. Me on the other hand- the only outdoor sports I like are snowmobiling or snowboarding, and I don't have either to do right now! Plus then theres the fact that my dogs are kenneled (well 1 of the 3 is) while Im gone at work all day so I feel awful leaving again and kenneling the little guy... ugh!!
    From MN.

You can have your "sunshine" states, I'll take playing outside here in the winter.

Go skate, go skiing, cross country ski. Two of my most favorite activities (hockey and skiing) are in the winter. I'll take winter over summer anytime.

Sounds like you have something else going on. I get up and go to the gym M-TH at 4:30, and play hockey on Wed and Sun. 1st thing in the morning suck in that fresh cold air...nothing better. It was in the 60's in Arkansas this week while I was there for work. Felt good to step of the plane with temps in the single digits.
  • danijolson
    Options
    I do walk over lunch with a coworker so that is nice, but its not enough. I want a hardcore workout where I sweat and can feel the pain. We walk from our work to the Xcel energy center through the skyways over lunch which is a good 2-3 mile walk, but its just a walk. It is better than nothing though! Maybe I just need to suck it up and get up early.
    I feel your pain...... bitterly cold Iowa. Is there any way you can get a workout in over your lunch? I walk with a couple other ladies over the lunch and the last two days when it's been so cold we have stayed in our building and walked laps around each floor from top to bottom and then run back up to the top floor and start all over. We also did walking lunges on one of the floors. Was really a pretty tough workout and we did it for 45 minutes. I try to head to the gym straight from work because if I go home (especially when it's this cold) I won't leave again to go to the gym.

If you do miss a few days don't let it defeat you. Start over and get back to the gym (or wherever you do your workouts).
  • danijolson
    Options
    Im thinking thats what Im going to start trying to do! Its just so hard sometimes!
    It's easy to get this way in the winter for everyone, me included. I would suggest waking up earlier and try getting a great workout in in the morning before you go to work. It will more than likely help to make you feel great all day long.
  • danijolson
    Options
    Im jeaaaaalous!! I need the warmth!! Do you regret moving at all?
    Grew up in MN, most of my life, but now living down in AZ!!!!