Green Tea

Options
Ok, so I read an article that said Green Tea actually helps you burn calories, so I decided to try it. Well, It's flat out nasty. However, if it will help me burn more calories, then I can learn to like it, just like have everything else. Has anyone tried it? If it doesn't really work or isn't worth it, I don't want to force it down my throat.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I like the taste, if you don't like it, it really isn't worth it.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/24/really-the-claim-green-tea-helps-burn-fat/
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    upCNtsX.gif
  • tazzywinkle87
    tazzywinkle87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I drink it but I drink mostly the flavoured ones as I can't stand it on its own. There are claims it helps you lose weight but I drink it because it's good for you too and is full of antioxidants. :smile:
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try adding some honey to the green tea.. It helps (a bit). Also, I buy the peppermint green tea... Its a little better...
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience... I have drunk green tea for years and It is my belief that it helps me to loose weight and maintain a healthy weight but I am sure many will say its just not true.

I would say though, you need to get good quality stuff! Not just the tea bag stuff in the supermarket, I would invest in a tea strainer and buy organic loose leaf tea. I drink sencha which is a japanese green tea which has a real kick to it, and an hour after drinking it I have some mad hunger! I have found green tea always makes me hungry, not sure why but it sure feels like it is doing something to my metabolism!

To make it taste better, try adding honey and lemon. If you really hate it though its probably not worth it! I hated it when I first drank the stuff but somehow I grew to love it and now it is my favourite tea ever! Especially after a big meal it makes me feel less full. Green tea has many benefits besides the alleged metabolism boosting effects. Its full of anti oxidants and such and such.

Experiment with honey and lemon and see how you find it!
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Take tablets???
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like plain green tea but I often drink flavoured ones as well :smile: I've heard about its metabolism-boosting effects but the way I think it helped me the most was in the evenings. Instead of snacking in front of the t.v., I would go make myself a pot of green tea and sip away at that :wink:
  • healthyloserxxx
    Options
    I get all my water allotment in the form of Salada Decaffinated green tea. I drink about 64 to 76ozs per day. It is supposed to be good for your skin, too also, Cheryl Crow recommended it for cancer prevention.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Try a flavored green tea. My favorite are Ginger Peach Green Tea by Stash and Yogi makes a blueberry green tea but I don't remember the exact name. The extra herbs do not add calories to the tea.
  • airie23
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of brewed green tea but I love Matcha Powdered Green Tea. One cup has the power of 10 cups of brewed green tea, plus, it's a little sweeter. Totally different taste. I also mix it into warmed coconut milk for a "latte".
    I don't know if it helps with my weightloss, but I feel better, more energy, lighter, happier!
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the evidence for green tea helping weight loss is inconclusive at best. Does the articule you read mention how big a "metabolic boost" green tea is supposed to give you?
  • yumeish
    Options
    Did you brew it in 100C/212F water? Because I can tell you, even the nicest loose leaf green tea will taste vile if you don't brew it in the right temperature. But when done right, it's lovely (not trying to sound condecending here or anything, I just find many people don't actually know it's not supposed to be thrown into boiling hot water).
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I read an article that said Green Tea actually helps you burn calories, so I decided to try it. Well, It's flat out nasty. However, if it will help me burn more calories, then I can learn to like it, just like have everything else. Has anyone tried it? If it doesn't really work or isn't worth it, I don't want to force it down my throat.

There are many different kinds and flavours of green tea, I like the ones that have fruity herbals teas mixed with green tea such as pomegranate. Maybe try out a few different kinds, or if you live near a loose tea shop they'll let you smell/sample the different kinds to find one you like.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Try pomegranate green tea. It is a lot better tasting. Also, try Nustevia in your tea because it'll make it taste a lot better.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    upCNtsX.gif

This just blew my mind.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Arizona Diet Green Tea with Ginseng all through my weight-loss journey. I love the taste. It's sweetened with Splenda so your head may explode (but I suffered no ill effects). Zero calories and a nice way to get going in the morning.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me to drink it to help boost my immunity and to help prevent heart disease, since I already have HBP and other risk factors. I don't know if it will really help, but I like it... if I make my own. The store bought crap is horrible.
    I use 2 green tea bags in my keurig, pour a bit of cinnamon on top and brew it over frozen blueberries and honey. It is absolutely delicious and perfect for today, since it's equal to -15 lol.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Did you brew it in 100C/212F water? Because I can tell you, even the nicest loose leaf green tea will taste vile if you don't brew it in the right temperature. But when done right, it's lovely (not trying to sound condecending here or anything, I just find many people don't actually know it's not supposed to be thrown into boiling hot water).

I second this. I'm a giant tea snob, to the point where I hardly ever drink anything out of a teabag except peppermint. :) I just love love love loose green tea, especially Japanese senchas and genmaicha. If you have a tea boutique near you, I'd pay them a visit and ask them to sample some of their green teas and the proper way to prepare them. They're getting quite popular around where I live, there's pretty much one in every mall. There's also David's Tea online. Most green teas should be brewed for about 1 minute, in water that is about 70C or 160F, and about a teaspoon to 1 1/2 tsp per cup of water. It would also help to invest in a nice teapot with a strainer, or a mug that comes with a mug-sized strainer, and a thermometer for your water.

Honestly, I'm a big proponent of high quality loose green teas. I had a coworker who used to call it 'dirt tea' but she drank it because she hoped it would help her weight loss - she was so happy when I gave her some of my loose sencha and showed her how to make it, it's like a difference between night and day. Good green tea tastes almost like a delicate spring vegetable, and no need for sweetener because it has such a fresh taste.

Sorry to write so much, I just wish I could share really good, well made green tea with everyone! :)
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like you wasn't a huge fan of green tea.

My Mother in law got me onto Qi Organic China Green Tea and i really liked it. It doesn't taste like grass like some of the other green teas I have had.

I now have it as an alternative to my morning coffee. Now only have coffee if I go out to a coffee shop or really feel like i need one. This alone has cut about 120 calories from my daily intake.

I'm not sure about many of the health benefits but I have been told it is really good for you, good for bloating and water weight.
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    Lol Im on the same boat with all the tea drinking. At least i enjoy it. Sorry