Wanting to give up...

Options
I've been doing this on and off for over a year. I'm at almost a month straight and I've had mostly great days but I'm starting to slip a bit. I know if I give myself too much leeway, I'll just stop eat healthily and give up. Anyone have any tips at how to keep yourself on track?

Replies

• sarahmartin2013
    Options
    You have worked so hard to lose 29 pounds.. Do you really want to gain it back plus some and then later on try to start all over again.. You almost half way there! Come on you can finish the race!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Get connected and log in every day. You've lost almost 30 lbs in a year! That's great. Don't give up now!
  • amcoltlghgirl
    Options
    Give yourself one cheat day. It's okay to have a day where you still eat healthy, but allow yourself to eat something that isn't so healthy, like a piece of pie or icecream. Remember that you just have to take it one day at a time. Focus on your goals for just that day.
  • Ncharles2013
    Options
    Everyone in here can give you the best advice, BUT if you dont want this for yourself. Its not going to work. You have to focus, you have to tell yourself you want this for YOU! for whatever reason that maybe. Example for your health, for your marriage, for your own personal look. You can not just give up so far, you said you been doing this for 1 year... ONE YEAR! come on.... keep up the good work. You will get the results you want. Noone said excersice, eating health was easy.... but in the long run.... you will see its worth it. Good luck! focus!
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was going through the same thing since xmas and finally got back on track this week! I found it was because I stopped eating the foods I loved and started thinking too much about the calorie of everything. Now I have got my favourite coffee back for breakfast and I am enjoying myself again. Make sure you have fun food and hopefully it will feel less like a struggle.

Also give it time. I was feeling like this for weeks and didn't think I would ever get my motivation back.
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a break. Give yourself a day to lay around and eat chocolate cake or whatever it is you want. You're not going to gain back 29 lbs in a day. BUT then you have to commit yourself to going back to your plan. Come on!! You've lost 29 lbs!! If you lost the first 29...you can lose the next 29!
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Make one right choice. Each successive right choice is easier. And don't beat yourself up if you have a treat. I have small, planned treats on a regular basis. The key for me is planned.

You can do this. Look how far you've already come.
  • 57beth
    57beth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheat a little - just one day - and think about how it made you feel. That food 'high' wont be as good as you once thought it was. You've come too far. You have had a taste of what it is like too feel and look so good. Go try on clothes and remember how that felt then and how it feels now. Good luck
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The key to succes is attitude. This isn't a short trip or an event. It's a change in life style. You have to want it and be willing to work for it. It's for you and only you. It's about you and only you. Now that isn't to say its easy. Some days are better than others. No one is perfect so don't expect to be. When you slip, forgive yourself and get back to it. but remember YOU are worth it!
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    These things happen to most of us. That you've posted here rather than just eating mountains of Doritos is a testament to how much you'd like to keep going.

I would suggest having a think about why you decided to start this journey in the first place. I found it helpful to make myself a sort of inspiration board - pics of the old overweight me, pics of my relatives who have died of obesity related diseases, cheery pics of happy thin people, even a few fitness models on there too. I also love motivational phrases and have a few of my favourite laminated onto a card I carry with me in my wallet. Whatever it takes to get your head back into the game.

The last thing I'll share is a saying that helps me when I have made a few bad decisions after another and I feel like I am slipping away from my goals. Don't slash all the tyres. If you came back to your car one day and someone had slashed one tyre you wouldn't say "Well, there's one tyre gone I may as well slash the rest of them". You'd take stock. replace the tyre and get on with it, just like you should do with your health/fitness plan.