Work Out Clothes?

Options
What are good clothing items for women to wear to work out in, would only be doing cardio activities to start with probably at a low intensity because I am very over weight and anything else would probably be too hard for me, I haven't worked out in probably 6 years and don't even know where to start with exercises stuff like that, I've been researching though so hopefully I will have some idea by time I join the gym. I plan to do a lot of walking once the weather is better, Wisconsin winter is really odd this year. So ladies what would you recommend to wear while working out?

Replies

• leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good ole yoga pants and a baggy old t-shirts is what my work out gear consists of. My way of thinking, the less restricting the better!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple: T-shirt and shorts. :flowerforyou:
  • VibrantKrystle
    VibrantKrystle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i am going to say it. Less is more for me at the gym. i sweat a LOT when I work out.
    I am a fan of black control top capri pants from Athleta and black "wifebeater" tank tops. Love sports bras from Athleta

And I only wear black!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    moisture wicking gear is so much better than cotton. under armour, dry fit etc.....
  • missmadejavu
    missmadejavu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good ole yoga pants and a baggy old t-shirts is what my work out gear consists of. My way of thinking, the less restricting the better!
    Yeah that was what I was thinking I already own 3 or 4 pairs of yoga pants and 2 pars of leggings that are active wear. So I can get away with not buying bottoms I just need to figure out a good sports bra to wear and some tee shirts.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    YOGA PANTS!!!! they are the best thing ever
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wear leggings & a robbed vest or a baggy t shirt. Seriously, the bra is the most important thing lol. Lock them ladies down for any vigorous cardio!!
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bra Top and Run Shorts. Less is more. I sweat too much and if I wear anymore than that, it just sticks to me and I hate it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    moisture wicking gear is so much better than cotton. under armour, dry fit etc.....
    This. You dont want to be sweating while wearing cotton. It will chafe your skin and you'll get cold. I have some UA tshirts that I love, a few bras and some knock off yoga pants that are like UA from Target. When it's warmer out I wear running shorts with the underwear built in. They are a lot cooler, are soft against your skin and dry fast. Also, donttt wear cotton socks!
  • lovelymrsbasham
    Options
    shorts and a tank top :)
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say that my fave sports bras are by Under Armour.
    I have no problems dropping the extra money for them.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    anything that you are comfortable in it, yoga pant, t-shirt, as other said the most important is the bra. You are not there for a fashion show, you are there to workout! good luck!!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to save $$, the first priorities are a good sports bra and shoes. (You don't have to spend a lot on either, just make sure they fit properly and keep you comfortable.) Then, yoga pants or whatever exercise pants you like, and either tees or tanks. I also prefer the wicking material to cotton. Target has some really good exercise wear.
  • Annie_ga
    Options
    Good shoes - you've got to take care of your feet! Wear what you feel good in. I wear a lot of Target exercise clothes - light weight, fit great and not expensive.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants and tank top. My tank is loose enough I dont feel like a stuffed sausage in it. But if I'm going to yoga I add a 2nd tank, a tight one under the looser one so when I bend over people aren't looking right up my shirt. And I dont care that my sports bra shows. If I didnt have a big tummy I'd prolly just forgo the top altogether.

I got awesome sports bras at lane bryant online. The girls are locked and loaded. NO BOUNCING when I jog or do high impact cardio. The girls are snug & secure. And I dont have uniboob. Before that I was wearing a crappy sports bra over my regular bra to reign in the girls.

If you dont know where to start with working out, have you considered joining the Y? Best decision I ever made.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Anything you feel comfortable in.
  • missmadejavu
    missmadejavu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants and tank top. My tank is loose enough I dont feel like a stuffed sausage in it. But if I'm going to yoga I add a 2nd tank, a tight one under the looser one so when I bend over people aren't looking right up my shirt. And I dont care that my sports bra shows. If I didnt have a big tummy I'd prolly just forgo the top altogether.

I got awesome sports bras at lane bryant online. The girls are locked and loaded. NO BOUNCING when I jog or do high impact cardio. The girls are snug & secure. And I dont have uniboob. Before that I was wearing a crappy sports bra over my regular bra to reign in the girls.

If you dont know where to start with working out, have you considered joining the Y? Best decision I ever made.

I am probably going to join the Y in the future, right now I can't afford it though so I will be joining Charter Fitness which is only $10 a month. Otherwise I would have to wait a few months to join the Y and not be able to have somewhere to work out in the mean time.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This. You dont want to be sweating while wearing cotton. It will chafe your skin and you'll get cold. I have some UA tshirts that I love, a few bras and some knock off yoga pants that are like UA from Target. When it's warmer out I wear running shorts with the underwear built in. They are a lot cooler, are soft against your skin and dry fast. Also, donttt wear cotton socks!

Another vote for this. When I started working out I thought, "who cares how I look?" and I wore sweatpants and a t-shirt. Over a year and a half that's evolved into dri-fit Nike crop pants, a sweat-wicking sports bra (I like Nike and Adidas ones) and sweat-wicking tank tops (Old Navy, H&M, whatever). I feel much more put together which makes me feel more competent (even if I'm not), plus I like not having giant sweat stains, and I don't feel as chilled when I take breaks.

I also like wearing more form-fitting clothes so my coaches (and me) can see my form better and help me adjust, rather than when I was wearing a giant baggy t-shirt that hid my stomach so you couldn't see if my abs were contracting, for example, or if my hips were fully extended.

I've also made the same changes in my running gear, at first I refused to invest much money because I didn't think anything except my shoes would make a difference, but again, having sweat-wicking material really helps regulate my temperature. And then I just dropped $100 on cold weather running gear because layers and layers of cotton REALLY doesn't work in the winter. :) Good luck and have fun!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sports bra is key. Moving comfort makes some terrific ones. They are expensive, but the ones I bought in 2006 are still just fine!

I prefer moisture wicking material. I have some stuff I got from the clearance rack, and now I just go straight to target. I carry extra weight at my midsection, so I like something with a wide band and a drawstring - I have a few pairs from target that I love.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I wear some inexpensive athletic capri length pants from Target, and tshirts. In warmer weather the moisture wicking ones are really nice. I got some on sale at JCP that I like a lot. Comfortable movement is where its at!