New to Avocado

Options
How can I eat it? What can I mix it with? What are things that go good with it? It's a healthy fat and I have only heard good things about it. Any ideas?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like it as a spread on a sandwich instead of butter/mayo etc. It's also yummy spread over a cooked chicken breast with some cheese grilled over it, or made into guacamole with crackers or vegie sticks. I'm not a fan of the texture when it's in chunks, but lots of people like it in salads. It's also good with poached eggs on a muffin or bagel for breakfast with lots of cracked pepper.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it with a spoon and my mouth. And maybe a few feral/ deranged glances.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Do a Google image search on "avacado". Prepare to drool. :tongue:
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain, as guacamole, on a sandwich...however I can get it, I think it's delicious
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Avocados are perfect. I like them on sandwiches, burgers, with my eggs, on enchiladas, on toast... honestly they're super versatile. You can even make chocolate pudding out of them. I had a raw vegan chocolate mousse pie that was avocado based once, and it changed my life. So damn good. Also, in tuna/egg salad sandwiches, I'll use half an avocado and just a small spoonful of mayo, instead of all mayo. Delish.

And guac, obviously.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like to dice it up and eat it with lime and sea salt!
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned avocado fries, which sounds intriguing. I might have to experiment on a low fat oven version.
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mix it into a salad.
    Slice it and sprinkle a tad of salt on it.
    Mix it into tuna instead of mayo
    Smear it onto a sandwich as a condiment.
    Layer it ontop of a melted cheese tortilla
    Toast bread, mash avocado and then top with fets.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna echo it as awesome as a sandwich spread to add a nice green richness to it.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    In love with Avocados...! I actually mix them in my smoothies. Gives them such an awesome creaminess. Mostly I just use my hands and shove large pieces in my mouth while grunting.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole for tacos or fajitas, I put avocado on pizza (after it's cooked or it will burn!), in sandwiches, and on eggs benny. It's so yummy, you can put with almost everything!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Heck, I just eat it raw...mash it up, add salt and maybe a little bit of pepper and dig in...2-3oz EVERY morning...it was an acquired taste for me...now I actually crave it. Weird...
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! :) Looking forward to trying it on an egg sandwich now instead of using mayo!
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My favorite way hands down...is just a bit of sea salt. Oh man! SO GOOD!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i like them as a side to eggs in the morning - with a little salt.
    i use them in lieu of mayo in egg salad and chicken salad.
    put em on veggie sammies, put them in salad, make a taco salad...
    guac, of course.

really, you can eat them any way.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I looooooooove them mixed with a little bit of cottage cheese! If you use the low fat kind it's about 240 calories for a whole one mushed in with 1/4 cup of it, and it keeps me AMAZINGLY satiated. I also like to stick em on breakfast sandwiches, or make guac/sour cream (or plain greek yogurt) omelettes! I can also pretty much just squeeze one into my mouth and be happy that way too!
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Few of my favs:

Avocado pasta sauce: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/
    Mash it up with a little salt to replace mayo - eat with eggs/tomatoes
    Make ALT's (like BLT, but bacon replaced with sliced avocado)

Edit - why do I always forget to close my brackets! lol
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Heck, I just eat it raw...mash it up, add salt and maybe a little bit of pepper and dig in...2-3oz EVERY morning...it was an acquired taste for me...now I actually crave it. Weird...
    Ha I'm in the same boat! I hated them, then I started sticking them in everything and trying to get used to it. Now it's pretty much my favorite food-I even went so far as to make an avocado pie (I don't suggest it, you'll almost certainly be disappointed)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Omg, i did an image search with eggs and it made me hungry lol
  • bumpee55
    Options
    Here in Kali we have advocado's year-round. I love eating it raw with broiled skinless chicken breast. Sometimes my wife will mash it up then mix it with fresh mexican lime juice and cayenne pepper (another super food).