Weight Lifting: To count or not to count....

Options
2»

Replies

• cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well:
    Is the trainer a bit more than just a lifter in the gym? Any true fitness education to fall back on? Take his opinion with a grain of salt.

In my youth, I spent about 2 hours/day, 6 days a week in a Gold's Gym. A lot of lifting and a lot of cardio and A LOT of eating. Weight loss is more greatly impacted by cardio, but muscle tissue retention is important. Right now, I am in weight loss mode; predominantly cardio with light lifting to maintain muscle mass. As I get closer to my weight goal, that will begin to shift to more strength training and my calorie consumption will increase.

To do all this, it is still important to have a grasp on calorie consumption that meets your kcal maintenance needs. He can scoff all he wants, but I will tell you my weight gain issues arose when I stopped being a gym rat and still ate like a horse. You don't have to count calories forever, just have a cognative understanding of how much you need to eat - and to do that, counting calories for now might just do that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. Knowing what you are putting in your body is NEVER a bad idea. People who just eat every damned thing they see generally just end up fat and pissed off about it, or in denial about being fat, because they weigh 275 and their lift happens to be 75 lbs. heavier than the 181 lbs. guy next to him.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Congrats on your success. You look great. Keep up the good work!

I agree with everyone else: Keep counting. It makes you think about what you're eating, which allows you to make good choices.
  • desertdude
    desertdude Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations man. Your story sounds very much like mine, and hell, we even started near the same time, though I was in late August. The only real difference is that I have been below 1500 calories the whole time. I had a lot of wide *kitten* to get rid of. ;)

I've been at Gold's since then myself, though I avoided the PTs like the plague from the very outset. I just don't trust someone who's known me all of three minutes to know more about my body than I do...yeah, I'm an *kitten* like that.

Again, congratulations, and way to show the naysayers that they know as much about individual anatomy as I do about nuclear physics...almost nothing.

Wow, 1500 calories a day is really low!! I would go out of my mind!

The PT at Golds that has shown me the most is a natural BB competitor with his pro card. He is also working towards his masters in sport bbing (or whatever that masters degree is) so I guess I lucked out! :)