How to Avoid "Binge" Eating?

Options
Hi everyone,

Curious what motivators people have to avoid those days that creep up every few weeks where you just want to eat every bad thing possible. It appears that about every two weeks, especially on the weekend, I tend to devour an extra thousand calories of my "no-no" foods, or just eat excess of my good foods, like nuts. I end up beating myself up over it and losing motivation. Insight?

Replies

• Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I look at my weekly goal, and ask myself if I can binge eat and still make the weigh in. Thankfully my answer is usually 'no', but I will overeat once in a while.
  • ashleighlive
    ashleighlive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Curious what motivators people have to avoid those days that creep up every few weeks where you just want to eat every bad thing possible. It appears that about every two weeks, especially on the weekend, I tend to devour an extra thousand calories of my "no-no" foods, or just eat excess of my good foods, like nuts. I end up beating myself up over it and losing motivation. Insight?

I think MFP is a great tool to be accountable!
    Request friends from forums/ communities which you think share a similar mindset and have the same goals (look for this on their profile);
    Pre log your meals at the beginning of each day;
    Allow yourself to eat 3 big meals or 6 small meals;
    DO NOT restrict calories, eat ATLEAST your 'resting' BMR;

Dieting does not work, you need to change your lifestyle, and you need to find your triggers: emotional & food.
    You need to avoid these foods & situations like the plague!
    A good option is exercise, even if it's going for a walk.

You need to treat yourself; I do this with maintenance weekends.
    Where I cycle up my calories to my maintenance caloric intake, which is my ‘normal’ BMR.
    As I have more time to exercise on the weekend, and do more incidental exercise it works with my lifestyle, others cycling up and down whole weeks. Again whatever works with your lifestyle is best for you!
    If you never feel like you are hungry and your body is getting the nutrients it needs, the desire to binge will hopefully go away!

You obviously need to find what works for YOU, and no one can tell you that, but keep trying others suggestions and hopefully you will find success!

GL with your journey x
  • nemelkb
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I think MFP is a great tool to be accountable!
    Request friends from forums/ communities which you think share a similar mindset and have the same goals (look for this on their profile);
    Pre log your meals at the beginning of each day;
    Allow yourself to eat 3 big meals or 6 small meals;
    DO NOT restrict calories, eat ATLEAST your 'resting' BMR;

Dieting does not work, you need to change your lifestyle, and you need to find your triggers: emotional & food.
    You need to avoid these foods & situations like the plague!
    A good option is exercise, even if it's going for a walk.

You need to treat yourself; I do this with maintenance weekends.
    Where I cycle up my calories to my maintenance caloric intake, which is my ‘normal’ BMR.
    As I have more time to exercise on the weekend, and do more incidental exercise it works with my lifestyle, others cycling up and down whole weeks. Again whatever works with your lifestyle is best for you!
    If you never feel like you are hungry and your body is getting the nutrients it needs, the desire to binge will hopefully go away!

You obviously need to find what works for YOU, and no one can tell you that, but keep trying others suggestions and hopefully you will find success!

GL with your journey x

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain you weekends where you "cycle up calories"? Do you mean you burn excess on the weekends cause you have more time?